disqualified for wearing earphones

Comments

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

at the Great Langdale marathon this year there was a ban on headphones and also Garmins,

what's the reasoning behind banning Garmins?

• Raf - pacing assistance I guess.

• I recently completed a marathon by car but was surprised to find myself disqualified afterwards. I don't recall anything in the rules about it so I'll be appealing...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Personally I get cheesed off with these 'smart arse' rule breakers.

They think they are so clever that anything they choose to do is fine as long as they don't get caught.

Reminds of the way so many people have to abide by rules at work while those in charge are pulling strokes at every turn.

🙂

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

Nothing I can see in the Great Langdale rules about Garmins being banned.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

They probably mean the 'sat nav' in your car.

🙂

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

If Peter didn't use satnav or radio he might win his appeal.

• Garmins were indeed banned at Great langdale this year, but no one seemed to take much notice!

• Damn, I had my earphones in. That might be it.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Other Half wrote (see)

Garmins were indeed banned at Great langdale this year,

so the rumour goes but where does it state it and under what rule were they banned?

• No Garmins for pacing issues? Surely you would have to ban any time keeping device then as you would be able to pace by knowledge of the route or by the big signs at various KM/Mile points.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Not if they removed the mile markers.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

it doesn't need a rule if the race director decides to ban anything he can (within reason)

It wasn't a rumour the race director communicated to everyone before the event , and as stated previously it was ignored

i can understand it being ignored if it isn't stated anywhere in rules beforehand.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

It claims to be run under ARC rules which state:

(2)   The following shall not be interpreted as assistance:     (a)   Communication during an event between athletes, and with other persons.     (b)   A medical examination during the progress of an event by medica l personnel solely to determine whether an athlete is fit enough to continue in the competition.     (c)   The use of heart monitors, GPS and Inertia Measurement devices, in races.  
  • They can add their own local rules if they want to though.

I'd be interested in the logic - not all GPS devices are the same, some do no more than give you a time and distance, others have very sophisticated mapping and pacing functions.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm not sure a garmin helps with pacing on something like Great Langdale - its so mountainous that you cant possibly keep to your splits.
  • Colin - what freedom of expression is there in an ipod ??
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I wondered how long it would be before we had a serious deaf comment.
  • Pardon? boom boom!! image

image Sorry needed to get that in before anyone else.

There is no ban of deaf people at races there is and always has been a ban on headphones under UKA rules as stated previously. It's even on the fine print if you enter a race through this site. If the organser's DK's some folks good, it needs to happen more often. image

Like I surpect many of the people reading this, I've seen people failing to get out of the way from a car, police car, ambulance ect... as the result of there ipod. It's just not safe as well as being increadably annoying when your trying to get past them or avoid them as they get past you on a busy race.

• Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

Banning headphones violates people's right of freedom of expression, IMO.

If they ban headphones they should also ban deaf people from running, but you can bet they don't.

That's because ipods turn a race that might have a very small number of deaf people in it into a race with a much bigger proportion of people who can't hear what's going on around them. 

Deaf people also tend to be aware of their condition and make allowances, like looking out for marshalls who might be speaking to them, letting organisers know, having 'Deaf Runner' written on the back of their running vest, or running with a hearing companion.  None of which they're obliged to do.

Ipod wearers, OTOH, spout on about 'freedom of expression' (well, some do at least!).

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ipod wearers in races irritate because they definitely don't want anything to do with anyone else.

They are in a world of their own, where everyone else is, well, irrelevant.

🙂

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

You can quote any rules you feel like, if the Race Director puts in his rules that states that Blue socks are not allowed, then he can disqualify you for wearing blue socks.

i get that and I don't mind obeying rules.

however if there is nothing in the rules and he decides just to announce it on race day then you're going to be a bit p!ssed off if you've turned up wearing your blue socks and a garmin.

if it is in the rules (written down, including local rules) then you can decide whether to enter or not if you don't like it.

• Cake wrote (see)

There is no ban of deaf people at races there is and always has been a ban on headphones under UKA rules as stated previously. It's even on the fine print if you enter a race through this site. If the organser's DK's some folks good, it needs to happen more often. image

I don't think there is a ban on headphones under UKA rules. People assume there is but I''m pretty sure thats not the case, the "banning" is done at race level.

• Usual irate ipod runner thread. Happens every so often. From the race directors viewpoint there is added worry of the race not being allowed to use public highways due to headphone use. Our local public right of way officer insists this is the case and will consider banning the race if headphone use is not strictly banned.

So please think before breaking what some people think of as petty rules.