Shoes for muddy trails

Can anyone recommend any running shoes particularily good for running in super muddy trails?  These always seem to be the races I go for and yet I still haven't invested in proper footwear.  I would appreciate any advise!

Comments

• Check out the Adidas Kanadia - theyve got fairly big paddles on the bottom - but if its super super muddy - then something like the Walsh fell shoes ?
  • I'd second the Kanadia - I wore these at a very muddy race this weekend and was slipping a lot less than many of the people around me, there were really a lot of people sliding or falling over. I don't think I'm particularly nimble so it was either the shoes or a fluke!

• Depends what you call muddy really. Kanadias will be fine for some wet trails with a litttle mud but they do clog up quite quicky though this will depend largley on how wet and sticky the mud is. They are also quite cushioned - unecessary if its soft and wet underfoot. Taking it to the other extreme, I recentlly did the stourbridge stagger which was full on ankle deep wet sloppy stuff in places. Inov-8 mudclaws were ideal and Mrs S used x-talons and found they coped well too. Personally prefer a longer stud when the mud is really bad. There are plenty of other shoes out there which fit the bill. A longish stud but open tread pattern is what you are after so that they bite but then shed the mud.

• If you shop around - you can get the Kanadia for under ??40. I've put about 500 miles on my pair.
  • More miles cheviot 2s from start fitness awesome mud pluggers at £35 

not great for tarmac as not much padding, but awesome in mud, and cannot go wrong at the price.

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

Xtalons or mudclaws.

• Got Kanadias a few weeks ago and think they're great.  

• Had kanadias (TR3`s) in the past and trust me people there performance in mud isn`t anything like as good as Talons or Mudclaws........  Walsh PBs or VJ Irocks...... Salomon Fellraisers or Fellcross....  La Sportiva Anakondas or Cross Countrys...

You get the picture.... image

• How do Salomon speedcross 3 fair? I've just bought a set ready for Yorkshire warrior. Most of my training is off road as well so thought I'd treat myself.
  • I had a pair of those and they were excellent for muddy trails. The only drawback is that they are not really suitable for when you have to run on tarmac to get there. 

I would advise you to break them in before racing.

• Salomons Fellraisers and Fellcross have far better grip and much improved stability over the speedcross3s!!

• Is that personal preference Roland?

Most reviews I've seen on the speedcross have said they are spot on. Suppose it's each to there own.
  • Been lucky enough to have run in Speedcross2-3 - Fellraiser - Fellcross1 & 2 Matt..

Speedcross2 was a great shoe in its day but a combo of high stack height alongside high heel/toe differentials made the shoe quite unstable @ times, they did lower the SC3 to combat this but it wasn`t enough.. take the time and transition down to lower profile shoes (Fellraiser/Fellcross/X-Talon/Mudclaws) and I assure you you`l enjoy the hills and mud even more.... image

• Roland McCartney wrote (see)

Been lucky enough to have run in Speedcross2-3 - Fellraiser - Fellcross1 & 2 Matt..

Speedcross2 was a great shoe in its day but a combo of high stack height alongside high heel/toe differentials made the shoe quite unstable @ times, they did lower the SC3 to combat this but it wasn`t enough.. take the time and transition down to lower profile shoes (Fellraiser/Fellcross/X-Talon/Mudclaws) and I assure you you`l enjoy the hills and mud even more.... image

Thanks Roland. I've not had chance to get out in the speedcross 3 yet. I'll be out in them on Monday hopefully. I did see the fellraiser/fellcross advertised but ended up doing the typical bloke thing and went for the good looks and quirkiness of the speedcross image

I'll see how i fair in these then maybe my next shoe will be another Salomon. They do make cracking pairs of shoes.

• I used the Kanadias for a couple of years and they coped with most things.  Be warned, they're very weird sizes though.  My current pair are a 14, and I'm actually an 11.5.

They've only been worn once though, as I decided I would complete my Brooks stable with some Cascadia 8s which are lovely.