T-30 weeks for IMW

13»

Comments

• All going well here too,  a I am at about week 5 total wise with a bit more bike. so yesterday 45 min Z2 spin was a hilly 1hr 20 ride. Still struggling to keep to zone 2 though when out on the bike. I do keep it in Z2 between the hills

Maybe I should move house as I  have said I live at the top of an 11% 2 km hill.

I try and do my brick session on the turbo just to keep my HR down. It is coming down slowly and I am getting a bit faster to managed to add 2kph to my average on a regular loop I do yesterday.

I think it was Barlo that said to me biking does not  get easier you just get faster. image Gonna add a few miles on the ride next Sunday as I am signed up for a 100KM sportive in the cotswolds as a birthday treat.

• Duda-  should i be on week 4 or 5 as i am only on 4

• Hey All,

I'm on the Fink plan as well and notices a lot of 45min Z2 work. To my knownledge (not that great tbh) Z2 for 45 mins seems to be pretty useless. Typically Z2 is used for longer rides to build foundation endurance and should be maintained for around 3-4 hours? So I don't see a point in it really. I typically try to keep all my Turbo sessions (1hr) at around 90%-110% of FTHR as I think its more beneficial. I might be wrong here or I'm missing something but what does training in Z2 provide performance benefit wise?

This year will be my first IronMan so I am a newbie and take criticism in my training well and would appreciate it...image

• Trotter, you should be on week 4. I had already completed the first 10 weeks by the start of Feb. Then I had a couple of easy weeks but because I was used to a bit of volume to my training I started at week 5 which I have done for the last three weeks. I am just waiting for the plan to catch up with the volume I am up to.

James, Z2 is about building aerobic capacity in the first phase 'basebuilding' this is all you do, then during the next two phases you push the lactate threshold and build up speed as well as endurance. Perhaps read the book again as its worth it and it  is all explained in there. I have read it twice now since starting out and each time get something more form it.

• Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

What Duda said, in weeks 1-10 its all about a base and training your body to burn fat and oxygen.

• Ahhh I see, that makes a lot more sense when put that way. I'll probably try a Z2 workout on the turbo tomorrow for a couple of hours.

Just been getting back on the bike yesterday after 4 weeks out. I went for a 130mile ride 4 weeks ago and felt a dull pain/strain at the top of my calf, behind the knee just under the crease line. It's subsided enough for me to cycle but not for running. It seems annoying as I can still feel it if I push or over extend my leg. Research tells me its a plantaris/popliteus tendon injury. Osteopath appointment booked for Friday as I have an Olympic Duathlon in two weeks, which I don't think I'll be able to participate now. Really frustrating as I've been set back a total of 4 weeks on the Bike and ongoing setback on the run/brick sessions of the Fink Programme image

Anyone had something similar to this?

• Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

20 weeks tomorrow.

First 10 weeks have flown past.

• True enough FRV. Looking forward to the next 10?

• Duda, I hope that the HRM said that you worked your @rse off today. I'm actually intrigued. Does spinning the granny cog actually keep your HR down, or would pushing a bigger wheel make it easier?

One other thing. I 'd recommend more use of the drops. Cut the wind resistance. Make life easy. This is more valid as the speed increases. There's no drag when you are not moving, but it increases with a square relationship to speed.

Hope I'm not being preachy.

• Blisters, all advise greatly received. I think turning a bigger gear  shift the stress from the heart to the muscles and lowers the HR.

• It also b*ggers the legs , so use it in moderation!

• Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

'Spin it to win it' 

• Right well that's T-20 weeks now image Hope every one is feeling good and that training is going well?

• Half way there now. Hows every one doing?

I have not had such a good week I did my Oli tri early, last weekend and my guts have not been right since. I missed Weds brick session and only did 2.45 on the bike yesterday with no run at the end. Not sure I will feel well enough to run today?

Still another 13 weeks serous training to go and the taper so should be right image

Hope every one is going well?

• Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

Had my setback this week following my eye incident, skipped Fridays sessions and MTFU'd for Saturdays long ride & run, nice 1:30 run this morning off the bike in the sunshine.  It's all downhill from here.

• the last 10 weeks are what you are training for.....  Thats the time to get some big rides / runs in,

get a hilly sportive in if you can.  if not do a flat one image

a half IM is nice 4 weeks out but not essential.  A half IM is also nice image

enjoy!

• Dragon ride this Sunday, so 225km and nearly 3,000m of climbing then Cotswold113 the weekend after for me, and then my Base training is done.

Long Course swim and bike a two hilly HIM during my Build period.
  • MTRI, I would love to push it so hard but as a first time IM'er I am juts going to follow the plan and get to the finish line. I can always try to go faster in the future. looking forward to meeting up at the HIM next month.

• HIM won't be a busy race as not many entries but should be a good hard days work.
  • Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

20 weeks down.  10 to go peeps, hope it's all going well for everyone.

• Completed a HIM yesterday and felt good massive boost to confidence as it was a hilly one.

I am running a bit behind due to working weekends so my long ride and long run are on Mon and Tues so peak phase starts Thursday. Good look and good training to everyone.

• Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

I've got 2 weeks on holiday in Turkey coming up, luckily the resort we are in has road bikes & a 50 metre pool, how good is that!  Home brew HIM in a couple off weeks in guaranteed sunshine!

• Good call FRV. sounds like a winner and you are guaranteed a podium place.

• Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

There's not much prize money on offer though.

• I'll skip it then

2 weeks in Spain for me, so hopefully open water swimming and running. No bike