fancy climbing in Derbyshire?

Comments

• Definantly check out the roads around Eyam then when you go for your weekend jolly. Don't know the name of the road but if you know Derbyshire there are some nice roads behild the concreate factory as well that might do. Lots of sweet hills around there. image

This biased because of where I live but Mortimer road and some of the back roads around peniston have good climbs but also grinding.

• Reesigned route for tomorrows adventure, taking on board the advice of you knowledgeable folk. Cant wait to get going.

I will report back and let you know the best bits.

Enjoy your trip on the 29th March.

• JC, sorry about missing the post otherwise would of joined you. Taking in to account location and preferences, thought I'd throw this out for a starter for a route. Feel free to amend, completely ignore, suggest cafes etc...

Section 1 - Start in Whaley Bridge, climb up through Chapel en le Frith and up to Rush Up Edge and then up and over Mam Tor. This includes about 15km including 10km of climbing at 6% to 8%

Section 2 - Descend from Mam Tor in to Edale and crank out the flat-ish section to Hathersidge.

Section 3 - Climb from Hathersidge up the the Fox House before the quick descent down in to Calver. This includes a 10km climb of about 6%

Section 4 - Steady climb past Chatsworth and in to Bakewell. This includes a 10km climb of about 6%

Section 5 - From Bakewell, a long climb up to Money Ash. This is maybe another 15k with climbs at about 8% gradient before dropping back down in to Buxton along the A515 Ashbourne Road

Section 6 - Out of Buxton, up Long Hill for about 8km at about 6% before a relaxing descent back in to Whaley Bridge

In total I am guessing this is about 90k and I think about 2000m of climbing. If you really wanted to throw in a leg thrasher, we could always go out of Buxton and up to Flash (the highest village in England) which has a couple of long haul climbs before ending up at the top of the Cat and Fiddle road.

• Flash !!!!! Ah - aaaaaaaah !
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

If you are going to Flash go in the back way up the Old Road - that's a nice little tester!    If you go straight over the road from Flash to Longnor is really nice with a tail wind you can really fly along there.   

• Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

Did you have something like this in mind Magna http://connect.garmin.com/activity/278875203?

Suggest we follow this route, starting at Tideswell at 10:00am, and stopping about half way at Hope for coffee and cake...

Looks like there is a good cafe in Tideswell  http://www.vanillakitchen.co.uk for earlier arrivals... anyone local know what the parking situation is like?

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Parking in Tideswell ?  Should be OK I'd have thought it's a bit touristy but not massively so, you'd find somewhere.   Cafe is nice enough, that's the one we normally stop at if we are up there.   

• Thanks for all the tips

The route we took is shown below, this is the first time ive been up in the peaks and we had a great day. 

Not the route we had planned due to garmin issues but if you remember your villages you can work your way round pretty well.

Ended up going up Winnarts into a head wind which spoiled the down hill after, however we made up for it cruising down the A6 to Bakewell, a truly fabulous decent.

http://www.strava.com/activities/118477912

• Just in case I've managed to get wednesday off so heading out for a long one in the peak's not got a route worked out yet but if anyone is free and fancies it.

Nice one JC. image

• So folks, are we all still up for this?

I'm happy to start in Tideswell for a 10am start at the Vanilla Cafe if this is more convenient for everyone.

There has been a couple of suggestions of routes and I know most of them so if we have a rough idea of time / distance then happy to plan en route and see where the wind takes us (it has been V windy this week, all of it head on...grrr).

Add your names below if you are confirmed:

Stanners

• Yep i'm up for it..

Stanners

Magna Carter

• bump!

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Been off the bike for 3 weeks with a virus/after effects of bad crash pre xmas/stress caused by bereavement (depending on who you believe - I feel knackered all the time anyway), would probably last about a mile before getting dropped, otherwise would have.    

If it happens again would be up for it  - otherwise have a good ride.   

• Stanners

Magna Carter

SA

• popsider wrote (see)

Been off the bike for 3 weeks with a virus/after effects of bad crash pre xmas/stress caused by bereavement (depending on who you believe - I feel knackered all the time anyway), would probably last about a mile before getting dropped, otherwise would have.    

If it happens again would be up for it  - otherwise have a good ride.   

Hope you're feeling better soon Popsider.

• Here's the planned route (ish) redone to start and end at Tideswell

http://connect.garmin.com/course/6039996#

Suggest we make the most of Stanners' local knowledge though, rather than follow it to the letter! image

• Weather is looking reasonable too.

Coming out of Tideswell on the A623 can be a bit hairy with traffic, but there is no real way of avoiding it. Might suggest coming off at the Peak Forest and going through Peak Dale rather than going via Sparrow Pit / Dove Holes (not as exotic as it sounds, believe me). Other than that, spot on.

My "local knowledge" is a bit sketchy on the that descent from Dronfield to Baslow, but if it is anything like the drop in to Calver it will be ace (yes, I used the word ace, I'm on a crusade to bring it back). Climbs to look forward to are:

Long Hill coming out of Buxton
    Whaley Bridge to Mam Tor
    Hathersidge to Fox House
    Baslow to Bakewell
    Bakewell to Tideswell

• Oooo, that reminds me.... better get some new brake pads... mine are 3,500 miles old and tired!

• Dronfield to Baslow can be busy in parts nothing bad enough to make you change your route but as always stay safe at junctions. Can't see the link but Hathersidge to Fox House I would go up the froggat if you know it just in case your going the other way just because it's the route for haversage tri and might give you good idea's as well as being a very cool route and while both climbs out of Haversage are busy that one is more bike friendly with car's from experiance.

Popster hope your ok and just remember we image you mate.

• What time are we starting on Saturday?

• 10:00am at the Vanilla cafe.

http://vanillakitchen.co.uk

• If I was being cheeky, I'd also suggest a reward beer at the 3 Stags Heads afterwards image

• Will be bringing my trainers too in case a brick run takes my fancy (it wont...but I can dream)

• Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

If I was being cheeky, I'd also suggest a reward beer at the 3 Stags Heads afterwards image

That's a terrible idea.... truly terrible.... utterly awful. No. I'm not up for a beer afterwards. No I'm not. No. Where is the 3 Stags? just asking in case someone ever wants directions.....

• It is really inconveniently located just up the road from Tideswell, an epic journey of about 2 minutes...

Had a thought last night too. If you want to avoid doubling up on drinks / carrying too many gels then we pass my gaff at the halfway stage. Feel free to use that to top up on High5 drinks / gels

• Guys, really sorry, but circumstances have conspired against me, and I can't make tomorrow. I'm at Wembley on sunday, and some stuff has come up that must get done, so only leaves me saturday to do so.

Really disappointed, as I was looking forward to this a lot, and the weather even looks like it'll play ball.

Hope you have a great ride.... and i'll try to arrange another one later in the year, so that I can have a go too.

• With the best will in the world then, if there is only 2 of us, should we reschedule?

I know Stanners will spend most of his time waiting for me at the top of the climbs

It does mean that I can get my Sunday long ride in and get to parkrun on the Saturday

• If Stanners agrees, then that's good for me.... I remain keen, so happy to pick an alternative date?

• Yep, good for me. The best laid plans and all that

• 12th / 13th April are the DIY so there out but what about one of the days over Easter?

18,19,20,21 April or the weekend after 26 /27 April would be great for me

After that I will be starting to tapir then starting back again mid June