london marathon training

Hi all .... would like some feedback ... im a first time London Marathon runner this year ( got in on the ballot after 5th year of trying )     Training has been going surprisingly well and part of my training plan is to do the Milton Keynes half marathon in a couple of weeks . problem is I know I could smash my half pb by at least 5 mins going by my long run times....

would you push hard for pb ( risking injury ) or use it as another training run (nutrition / hydration practice/ atmosphere) knowing what ive got coming in April ..    thanks Rob !

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Personally I wouldn't run it flat out that close to your A race. Get London done and then look for a half a few weeks after that to give it a PB attempt.
  • I'd race it. It'll help you judge your target for London.

Are you really that injury prone that a race is likely to break you ?
  • Too close for a flat out attempt but you could still get a new PB but running it conservatively. You don't need to smash the PB do you? 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

You could run the 1st half at MP, then speed up in the 2nd half. Would that still get you a PB?

Whatever you do, make sure you have a decent warm up and post race jog..will help avoid too many post race aches and pains.

• Is this caution against injury a general thing, or actually based on any issues you've had during training?  If you've not had any particular problems I say smash it for a PB.  What is it, three weeks out?  Plenty of time for recovery, if you've also got your long run strategy sorted out to work around it.

• thanks for all your thoughts lads !!  my main worry was that ive had a couple of niggles after interval/tempo runs ....have realised that a tempo run is not a 100%flat out        ( idiot )      ...after a mixed review ive decided to  run at my marathon pace and pick pace up later on 9+miles ..then collect medal and run the extra 4 miles home, I should easily pb and get in a 17 miler on same day .

• I personally wouldn't risk it given how long you have waited to do the London Marathon! (I'm exactly the same - only after trying 5 years trying through the ballot I got a place through my running club this year)

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

I'd give it the big heave-ho full-on pb attempt. Put all that marathon training fitness to good use. After all, you're just as likely to pick up an injury in another session anyway. Worse case is you run VLM next year.