Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon anyone?

Comments

• You are correct lowrez.  I had thought it went straight up Emswood to Mossley Hill Rd which is a bit of a climb.  The North Sudley route is much better.

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

Has anyone got their packet by post as just received an email that appeared to indicate they had been sent out?

• Not got my packet either but assuming it will still come. The organisation for this is not inspiring me for example the advice on the travel sheet is useless, it basically says dont drive because there's limited parking and there's no trains at that time of the morning on merseyrail either - genius.

fortunately I'm staying in an hotel near the start but anybody hoping to arrive on the morning is going to have problems.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

No packet here yet either.

If I was doing the half I'd be driving in from The Wirral via the Queensway tunnel, taking the left hander immediately off the exit roundabout onto Dale St and parking in Moorfields multistorey on Vernon St (right hander pretty well posted down Dale St). Its not too much of a walk to the start from there.

They are right from my perspective about Merseyrail getting you in early enough for the start of the half; fortunately I am running the full marathon so I'll be parking up at Hooton station which is a short drive off J5 of the M53. Earliest train is the 7:44 getting in to Liverpool James St at 08:09. Thats possibly cutting it a bit fine, but the starting pens don't open until 30mins prior to kick-off at 9 and depending on he weather I might not check a bag in. As I exit James St station I should just be in time to cheer the half runners passing by! Parking at Hooton is less than a quid all day (thats if the collecting kiosk bloke is in that Sunday, you pay on exit, otherwise it'll be free) and a return ticket on Merseyrail is £4.10

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

I haven't got a good feeling about this one! Glad it's not my first marathon!  Looking forward to bands.....hope the rock n roll isn't a damp squib......bands seem to fizzle out in last 6 miles which is when we need them!

• Still no race packet for me either image

But got at email last night asking me to confirm my registration! Hello(!), never mind that, where is my race packet!

"You are confirmed to participate in the marathon. Confirm your registration by clicking here and download your Final Information and Transportation Guide for the BT Rock 'n' Roll Liverpool Marathon and 1/2 Marathon below. Please be aware these items are only available electronically and will not be mailed.

If you did not receive your packet by post, you must pick up your race number at Packet Pick up." 

Has anyone else received their packets, or this this mail, and if so what is there reading of the situation?

I have a horrible feeling the are not going to send out packets to lots people and we are supposed to pick them..... except I don't live in Liverpool, and will not travelling until Sunday morning.

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

VERY confusing!  I opened e mail which says to click for confirmation ......BUT later realised this does not apply if you booked before April 15th so will wait for post but not confident now!

ALSO.......pi**ed off with times of headline act performance at 1 30-2 15!! My OH and I will not be coming in til after that...we are run/walking this one as he hasn't trained for more than a half and we want to do it together.....this is all very different organisation wise from Manchester isn't it guys??? But then it IS going to be fun with the bands. ......

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    After reading the comments on Facebook regarding the organisation/ cancellation of the Edinburgh half it has made me wary of giving the organisers any of my cash.

Maybe that's why there isn't huge excitement about this one.

Hope everything work is itself out for everyone.
  • It is a big series - so I'd be very surprised if they mess things up.

And the medal looks blipping awesome.

Bev - that headline act sounds about right for me. If its much later than that - people will have gone home. I'd look more at your OH for not training myself....
  • image Cougie you playing?

Bev the band times are never going to suit everyone I'm afraid with the different distances and finesh times. Thinking I'm miss them as well. image Still as Cougie said the medel looks cool.

• Sadly I'm not - I've a big race the week after - but I'm planning on running round shouting at people ! The medal ALMOST made me enter anyway !
  • I've not received my numberimage.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I've had the confirmation e-mail too - looks like they are turning the handle on standard things they do on the lead in to the big day - one of which I hope will be send out race packets! 

On the entertainment front; on course; in the last 6 or 7 miles looks to me like it could be bouncing; there is indeed one longer gap approaching 3 miles but if you look at the route its very residential or has narrower walled streets etc, nowhere to fit a stage in. There are 3 acts of the type DJ, Radio Station, Choir who look like they are in residence for the full event and two further spots where there is a big line-up of bands rotating on and off stage to keep constant entertainment going.

Going to need all those if that run-in is against a headwind! Medal is real nice!

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Yayaaaa!!! Number arrived!!

• Mine's arrived.  It's 2nd class post so they will start coming through.

• Mine hasn't damn and blast ( wrings hands) mind you my post usually comes a day after everyone else's --- joys of cumbria --- so hopefully will come tomorrow.image

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Cougie: GOOD POINT about OH!! Dump him????

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Yayaaaa!!! Number arrived!!

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Mine's in too; plus safety pins, cable ties and a kitchen sink...they do know their stuff!

• Mines here too, coral 3. 

week to go image

• Im in,hoping to finish sub 3.45  image

• me too TT, got 3.49 in London and ended up running 26.9 mile so hopefully running in a pacing group i could nail it,good luck image

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

Mine's also arrived, not in PB shape but feel 3:45 is definately do-able so might bump into you guys too image

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i have to pick mine up unfortunately - still my confirmation sheet says corral 1 - happy days! image. I was thinking of parking up on the Wirral side and just getting the train over for a few quid - saves on big parking fees. Does not seem like i have a race this weekend - after all the build up to Boston this all seems really low key. 

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Andy; maybe we'll be on the same train I am parking up a Hooton and getting the earliest one in.

I have been "not applying myself very well" to the task of Boston qualification for the past couple of years - need a 3:30 - thought I was acing it in Belfast but had a horrible second half and crashed to 3:47 - still my pb though. How were the early miles at Boston I hear it's downhill a lot - did you specifically train for that?

I am thinking of glaming it up a bit for Liverpool - I'm a big Pink Floyd fan - started off with ideas for a flying pig but then I saw the price of helium and have settled for a £1.49 inflatible guitar from a well known auction site - will dump it shortly before the start though - don't need the extra air resistance. Anyone else doing anything special? I bet there are a lot of Elvis fans out there?

I clocked 4:36 at Manchester - you can see the current gulf between my Boston dream am reality now - on my 8 miler last weekend though I churned out some 8:50 miles - prospect of a sub4 on the cards - suspect I will crash and burn though! 

It's getting close now and the long range forecast currently looks decent. 

• I got an email yesterday asking if I can marshal on Sunday.

I can't not at this short notice - I'd have thought they'd have had everything ticked off well before the last week ? Hope it goes well for everyone.