Do You Trust Your MP's?

What do you think Basingstoke?

I am young gifted and Black.

Comments

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Wilkie, we need you here, now!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

do I trust my MP No, did I trust them last week / last year / last decade, nope! 

• Miss Jog wrote (see)

If I said anything against The Governement, all of my threads would be removed. 

(Thanks to Runners World Management - I have been warned).image

What utter rubbish.  

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Warned but sadly still posting.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What's your opinion on all of this Karen?
  • Scottish students don't pay university fees

100 years?  Based on what facts?

There's always a story about love triangles - everywhere

Welsh/Scottish/Cornish/Devon towns have been flooded regularly for over 50 years.  And got the fuck on with it.

Politicians and promises have never mixed.  Ever.

War is led by greed.  Greed is led by politics.  Politics is led by greed.

When are you actually going to read the facts about any of the things you post about?

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Generally speaking... yes, I do trust our MPs.  That Maria Miller comes across as an arrogant so-and-so though.

It's not healthy to have a political class that isn't answerable to investigative journalists.  But nor is it healthy to put everyone into a state of paranoia... and I think we're hounding our politicians too much now.  .

• I wish you were removed rather than just your threads Karen.
  • Actually I can see a parallel here.

Like a lot of politicians do, Karen canvassed for opinions on whether she should continue posting or not, received a less than enthusiastic response and carried on regardless.

Karen Samuel, MP for Bromley?

• MPs'  Expenses

So become an MP (It has cost her, her job and salary as a cabinet minister)

University fees

Too many children go to university to study stupid subjects that have no real use in the real world

Closures of hospitals/wards

So vote against it

The Government wants us to work up to 70 - 100 years

Never seen any evidence of that

There's always a  story about a politician love triangle relationship

And no one in your office has ever played away (well they wouldn't with you would they)

They want kids to go to State Schools and they send their  kids into Private Schools

So send your kids to Private schools

Were not helpful when there was recent  floodings

And you expected to see Cameron driving JCB ?

Also they make  promises they can't keep.

You promise not to post crap, But you can't keep it

Not to mention Wars

Lets not then

• MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

I think our MP's are probably as good a mix as the general population. I don't think they all put themselves forward for Parliament for the expenses or perks, that is just silly talk. They have foibles and make mistakes as anyone does but they have to understand that they are answerable to the public who pay them. Like the general population there will be some crooks!

Certainly I do believe that some are deliberately chosen by their parties as highly suitable candidates for top jobs but to my mind that is no different from any other profession. I honestly believe that choosing someone because of the school or university they went to just does not happen as the bottom line is personal capability to do the top job under public scrutiny.

• I don't quite agree with what you say about the public school connection Martenkay. So many top politicians have been to Eton or Harrow or Westminster Boy's School because those sort of establishments form a network that greases wheels. It'a a bit naive to think they don't

I do agree it's not quite that simple though. Anyone who wants to do into politics as a career will take the kind of courses that will help them do the job: Economics, PPE etc. It's no different to taking chemistry and becoming a chemist.

• Maybe those schools give people the training to become upstanding people.

I vaguely remember a chemist becoming Prime Minister

• I only know one MP. He is not a front bench MP but is one of the nicest men I know whilst still having a good sense of humour. He did not do a degree in politics and did not go to public school.

My opinion of the other 600 and odd is derived through the media - I don't trust the media.

• I don't trust the media either, but, whichever way you look at it the expenses scandal, does seem to be a...well, a scandal.

If anyone outside politics was to overclaim thousands, or tens of thousands of pounds they would lose more than their job.  I can't believe that that all the cases that have been highlight by the Telegraph are honest mistakes, or misinterpretation of the rules. A large proportion of the house of commons has been on the fiddle.

However, I don't believe most of the conspiracy theories that do the rounds, such as the Royal Mail sell off being deliberately under priced to line the pockets of the governments banker mates.

• Mp's have written their pay and conditions so they can't lose..........

if they resign even if its dishonesty or incompetency they get a payout..

If they do a crap job and don't get there own job 4 years later they are again given a massive payout.....

its not just the expenses..and the massive payrises they are having..........they get payouts left right and centre..

how many ordinary people  who mess up their jobs get tens of thousands of pounds in a payout

• seren nos wrote (see)

Mp's have written their pay and conditions so they can't lose..........

if they resign even if its dishonesty or incompetency they get a payout..

If they do a crap job and don't get there own job 4 years later they are again given a massive payout.....

I've never understood, why if it is such a great job being an MP, there are more people clamouring to become one  image

• beacuse we didn't go to the right school........its an old boys network unfortunately....you have to be exceptional to get in .........How many true  independants are in the commons

• seren nos wrote (see)

beacuse we didn't go to the right school........its an old boys network unfortunately....you have to be exceptional to get in .........How many true  independants are in the commons

Define the "right school" ?

My MP went to a secondary modern and Portsmouth Poly.

• and they have been in the job less than 15 years..........that is a surprise..didn't realise that many of the newer entrants still managed that..

I bet they are not an independent

• and the next door constituency

MP went to a High School, a Poly and became a librarian of all things.....

I can see how you think it's all about the right school

• but have they been new mps recently Dave......you haven't answered that one

• Sorry, I hadn't realised that I was required to....

You were telling me it was all about going to the right school, not how long they had been an MP

• I was saying that nowadays you have to go to the right school........I'm not talking about the old dark ages........