Do I need to do dynamic stretching at this pace / level?

Hi,

Short-time lurker, first-time poster... image

I've just started a c25k programme; should I be doing dynamic stretching before starting the day's training, or is that something for rather faster runners? I'm currently doing a five-minute warm-up walk and that's about it.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Best wishes

Jo

Comments

• I've never really stretched and I'm fine for it - but I thought the current thinking was stretching after the run - not before ?

Unless I missed an article and we're back to before running ?
  • The articles I've read seem to suggest dynamic stretching before working out and static stretching afterwards. Does a slow coach like me need to do anything more than a brisk walk before commencing the day's walk / run intervals? Or is dynamic stretching more for speedsters? image
  • Dynamic stretching before is better and static after -

Once warm and done some dynamic stretching then a jog and static stuff is fine

Any ability is fine and it's about preparing the muscles and legs etc in the same way.

If you static stretch first - you open yourself to straining a muscle which is tight and had restricted blood flow to it!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Just walk for a minute or two before you start, at c25k it is probably sufficient, as long as you aren't trying to run at breakneck speed. 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Nowt wrong with getting into good habits straight away. Also if you do walking backward lunges, this will 'activate' your glutes.