Paris Marathon 2015

Comments

• ooh Lloyd R, thanks - we do have our own separate watches and mine uploads via my phone's bluetooth while Mr KS' uploads via the mac. For some reason his runs are still uploading to mine even though I've logged out of my garmin account on the mac my ant + connector is on. Is there something else I need to do to decouple or disconnect?

I cleared the history on my watch so hopefully it won't download the last three years of running!

Really, I need to sort it out properly when I get home from work!

• What an absolute buffoon! I've forgotten about popping up on here.  What have I been thinking?  Last weekend I was cheering on a whole bunch of our club at the Chester Marathon.  It was great fun to be a supporter.  I did plenty of shouting out to every name I could pick out on people's numbers.  I must have screeched a few hundred names.  Blimey there's a lot of Chris and Michaels about.   Anyway two weeks to the Great Birmingham Run.  Then after that I've a few 10ks in November and the wondrous Great Yorkshire Pieathlon in December.  Bring on the pies!

• Is any one going to follow the P&D training plans for Paris next year?

In other news I've ordered a couple of pairs of Ascis gel ds 10 trainers, in prep for Paris - when I shared this news with the rest of the office, the sense of shared jubilation at this most exciting of purchases was not overwhelming! I imagine that as fellow runners you will all appreciate that the purchase of a new set of wheels makes this 'a damn good day' lol

A week and a half until the Chelmsford marathon. I'm beginning to regret the rash decision a few weeks ago to enter it. I did a 20 miler on Sunday and at the moment i'm not that confident of running well. Hopefully I'll be able to get in to the 'enjoy it' mindset. My runners world schedule says another 20 this weekend! It seems a bit excessive one week out...even with the lack of long runs would you suggest not bothering with it and resting instead?

• Jesus Freddy, you don't want to be doing 20 miles a weekend before the race, definitely not. I would say your weekend 'long' run should be 10 miles max and you should do no more than 10 or so miles total in the week leading up to the race either, so that mileage would be spread out over 3 or so runs.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Freddy - YAY for new shoes!

I'd listen to Heroine about mileage.... she speaks the truth....

• Isn't the rule no more miles than days out from the marathon?

New shoes are tres exciting Freddy! Do post photos and we can all drool over them!

I think people here have steered away from P&D a bit - the high mileage is TOUGH. But they have worked well for many here.

KS - It DOES sound like Mr KSs device is still registered on your account. Have a look in your account and see what devices you have registered to you. I've know idea what your front GarminConnect page will look like (mine seems to look different each time I log in!), but mine shows some columns and the second from the right is about my devices. The little wheel brings up device settings. Do you have more than one device registered there?

• Hmm. That came out all garbled for some reason, sorry - parismarathon@aso.fr

• Freddy1 - I used P&D for Paris last year (the 12 week up to 55m plan), followed it almost to the letter ( I moved the training days around within the week, but completed each week's runs in total) and ran a PB. It does work.

• Weedy, +1 for the MK 1/2 in December.

I've booked my accommodation now through Airbnb. First time I've used them so has anyone on here had any experience with them?

Don't like flying much so am waiting for Eurostar tickets to go on sale.

• Good stuff PETER Wray 3 - there's a few from here doing that winter MK half. Not used airbnb myself, toyed with the idea for Paris 2015 but ended up taking an appartment instead of hotel. Also going to take the train this time round too, not that keen on flying short haul if it can be avoided.....eurostar is a week or so short on the calendar at the moment....keep eyes peeled.

Got out there twice today to loosen up after the weekend, feel much better for it now.

Welcome all newbies and returners!

• Freddy 1 wrote (see)

Is any one going to follow the P&D training plans for Paris next year?

In other news I've ordered a couple of pairs of Ascis gel ds 10 trainers, in prep for Paris - when I shared this news with the rest of the office, the sense of shared jubilation at this most exciting of purchases was not overwhelming! I imagine that as fellow runners you will all appreciate that the purchase of a new set of wheels makes this 'a damn good day' lol

Hello Freddy 1 - were you thinking of wearing the DS Trainers for the marathon itself? I'd say from having worn a throughb a few sets of these that I wouldn't really wear them for more than a HM distance. I tend to use them for shorter races and intervals. You may find that the lack of cushioning in the shoes and support structure could be a problem later on when you are tired. Poor form, injury risk, that sort of thing. Unless you think you'll be going under 2.5hrs in which case, I'm sorry for troubling you

;-)

• A quick question.

Is is best to fly or get the train before running the marathon? I will be coming from Edinburgh but the train journey could be broken up with a stop over in London. 

Thoughts?

• Hey all - long time since I last posted (image) - hope training is going well for all

Doing VLM next year so busy keeping up the weekly mileage between now & xmas (and my 40th....) before starting the training plan.  Probably a little jealous of those doing Paris again - great race!

Have a couple of friends who have entered Paris so gonna recommend them to the Forum as know they will be in safe handsimage!!!

• EdinburghLoon I'm not sure it matters much. I'd go with whatever you feel most comfortable with. If it's possible for you try to get there on the Friday so you can avoid rushing around on the Saturday. It means that you can eat well and relax on the Saturday instead and take in le Parisien atmosphere.

• Helterskelter we are planning on being there from the Friday - Wednesday so hopefully able to relax and calm the nerves on the Saturday. Would you suggest going to the Expo on the Friday or is Saturday ok?

• I've gone on the Saturday in the past and it was busy but fine. I'm sure Friday will be quieter if it makes your life easier just go on the Saturday. Transport there is dead easy but just make sure you print off your medical certificate and get your doctor to sign it. Stick around on the thread. There's lots of people here who have run it lots (as opposed to my once) and so have really good info.
  • PS are you sure you aren't an Aberdonian Loon?!
  • Emmy.. PM or FB the dates and I'll come and have run with you! It's Caldicotte isn't it? 

• Well, I'm original a Forfar Loon. However, now live in Edinburgh.

thanks for the advice. I will certainly be sticking about.

• Hey there Roundman - how are you doing these days?

EdinburghLoon - I'd recommend to avoid the Expo on Saturday afternoon if you have the choice for it. It has been obnoxiously busy in the past - I think in 2012 we queued for 2 hours to get in. Not nice to spend so much time on your feet before the race. Some of us make a habit of going to watch a film in one fo the cinemas on the Champs Elysees on Saturday afternoon, just to put the feet up.

• Hello everyone!  I had a moment on Sunday night, and next thing I knew I'd signed up for Paris next year image  Race number's 11118, slightly optimistically in the yellow pen.

Bit of background: I've been here before as Wohlf (honoured to still be on Weedy's birthday list!), but injury took hold and I disappeared from the forum.  Loch Ness last week was my first marathon, and Paris will be my third - I'll be in Florence in November.

I'll do my best to make up for past indiscretions.  I intend to post frequently, get acquainted with as many of you as possible and get involved with as much of the debauchery when we all get there as I can. 

Very, very excited about this.  Will be my first trip to France, let alone Paris. (Oh, and EdinburghLoon, I intend to Eurostar my way there for what it's worth.  I'm also in Edinburgh.)

• Ah, the Caledonian massive are continuing to mass, I see! From experience,  it's quicker to fly if you're coming from Edinburgh, but more fun to get the train. Also, depending on which train you get, you might be able to meet up with some of the troops from here - lists usually start to happen nearer the time.

• As a Scot living in exile south of the wall, the train appeals to me because it's a much more relaxing way to travel, and a much more civilised way to drink to excess on the way home. Flying is a lot more hassle by the time you sort out transport ot the airport, parking, check-in times, etc. However, it's much cheaper - trains from where I live (Cumbria) to London are around £90 return, plus the fare from London to Paris (not cheap). Flights from Manchester to Paris were £130. So as much as I would prefer to take the train, flights are much cheaper for us (especially as there's two of us travelling). Having said that, availability on flights is disapperaing already...............

• Hey Tricky - all going well this end thanks!  Running gone really well since Paris - focussed on shorter distances over the summer and now buidling the weekly mileage up again over the autumn in prep for VLM - not sure on goal time yet, just hope to stay injury free over the coming months and see what condition I am in early next year.  Hows your training coming along?

• Thanks to all that answered my earlier question and sorry for the late response.

@ Dannirr My plan will be the same as yours and I intend to spend the next 6 weeks running in the lower HR zones (zone 2 mainly) to see if I can get back to running 9:00 @ 140HR not 155.

@ Running Rodent The original plan was to run a 3:45 as I had done 3:56 which is why I think the slow run times were slightly quicker than a 4 hour plan, but thanks for the info on the McMillan website, I will check it out.

@JokeyBhoy I agree too much training was in the higher HR zone but during the majority of the 16 week training plan I was more focussed on pace rather than HR which is where I think the problems have stemmed from. I am going to try running in lower zones to see if there is any change.

@HIAHS I honestly can’t complain about anything during the training cycle, I wish I could say I had an illness which meant I lost 6 weeks of training as it would be easier to explain but I didn’t. I managed all the runs, 5 days a week with the majority of them at the higher end of the suggested range (3:45 training plan from the runner’s world website). So the race pace I was aiming at was 8:35 m/m but as I had struggled with the end of the long runs so much I decided before the race to run at 9:00 m/m which I thought would delay the onset of exhaustion but unfortunately not!

But I agree with your final point, maybe it is time to try a new training plan which was why I was hoping people who have run Paris before would have some knowledge on running a plan based on Heart Rate rather than Pace.

I set my garmin to run in the zone 2 HR yesterday which is what it recommends I do most of the training in! After half a mile the watch was beeping at me to slow down, and I seemed to spend most of the run looking at and swearing at the watch as it just kept saying the HR was too high. I finished a 4 mile run keeping in zone 2 at an average pace of 12:42 m/m!!! This just doesn’t seem right. If anyone has had any experience of HR training I would be really grateful for their opinions.

• Good to see the thread going well

Anyone thinking of flying, look at the events hook up with Air France.. Last year we did Manchester to Paris for half price, cos AF are an ASO partner
  • List faerie, please can you add me to Stockholm marathon 2015, May 30th? Thank you!

• LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

KS - Regarding linking your garmin to the right account. I use Garmin Express since they launched the modern interface and at the top there is a menu option called 'Devices'. If you look in here it should show which account your device is linked to and allow you to change it if it isn't the right one.

Oh and have fun in Stockholm. I'm in Sweden the week before for the Gothenburg Half. I have a pal coming with me who is staying on to do both.

• Thanks LLoyd R. My Mac isn't compatible with garmin express. Le sigh. I'm in the process of trying to upgrade it but I  fear that this is the end of the road and it is no longer supported. However, it is compatible with my phone, and when I look in my settings it says I only have one device - my new one.  Honestly, they don't make it easy, do they? I can't even see the settings to turn off manual upload for my 410, so I think we'll have to upload Mr KS' using the nudgey manual button and then delete his runs from my records. That is, until garmin phase out ant+ then we're really stuck.