GFA London Marathon 2015

2»

Comments

• Got in but a nightmare with the password when trying to send details and pay. All paid for nowimage

• djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Another happy runner, all paid for. See you in April. image

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Well done! I do like this GFA stuff - saves all the waiting for October 

• Two days left to apply for your application - (if that makes sense).

I've applied but not heard back yet. How long does that take ?
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i got a reply email within a few days but i  was probably one of the first through as i was hitting F5 all day

• djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Cougie,

I'm sure it said in the original email to give them 15 working days to verify.

• Blimey. If you applt on this Friday- as you could - then that would take them up to 25th July. Andd.....

Completion of accepted applications and payment will close on the 25th July at 5pm 2014.

EEK !
  • Ring them up, explain you are going away on holiday for a couple of weeks and need to get it sorted before you go away.  If you're lucky they'll confirm your entry there and then for you...

Just an idea

• Oh I'm not worried yet. Plenty of time for my approval to come through. Ta.
  • Just got my acceptance.  It took 12 business days between the time I submitted my request and the receipt of approval.  Paid online so will be there in April 2015.

For everyone's information I ran a qualifying time (3:28) in October 2013 at age 58 and turn 60 in Jan 2015, therefore meeting the requirement for a sub 3:45.  Would never of managed a 3:15.  One of the few benefits of getting older.  

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

so what happens in the green start? it looks like quite a small start from the magazines etc. is this the one the celebs all start from - i take it they start graded by time as well and not just get the front because of who they are? This will complete my set of start zones for VLM image

• djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

With Manchester announcing 19th April as race date (running this as well), I don't think I'll be running a PB at London.image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    andyc209 - ah yes, the celebs.....they get wheeled out about 5 minutes before the start into a special pen right at the front. So even if you are allocated pen 1 on green you will be behind all of them. You just have to barge your way through. I've done that a couple of times, and it doesn't cause too much of a problem - just need to be a bit careful image
  • Took 6 business days to get my acceptance just now.
    Excited to imagine that I will be there via a special category!image

• I'm in. Only 4 working days it took them to process mine.
  • Im in too. Very excited.  Is it easier to get into your running at this start? Was wondering if I need to really plan for a negative split.  How many of us will there be? I put my expected finish time as 3:25 so was wondering which pen I would be in and how many runners there actually are at this start?

Have run VLM before in 2011 from Blackheath start but any tips would be appreciated.      

• I'm in too!  Think it took about 11 or 12 odd days to process?

(Irrational concern of not being given a place now over)

Pretty excited to be running London for the first time

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i just like the fact we can all plan well in advance without having to wait for October and then panic with only 5 months training. 

Ah the negative split - lost track of the amount of times people say you have to do it to get a fast time - run under 3 hours before and fastest london is 3.00.28 this year - and never done a negative split - gunned the first half and held on for the second - so i average 1:26 and 1:30ish for my splits - i find as long as i train long i can sustain my pace further into the second half and not struggle too much at the end - i know many will say it wrong but it works for me - i do at least 5 or 6 20 milers in training so my body knows what its like to hang on at the end. Bonus for me is i have just turned 40 so next year its 3:15 - happy days image

• This will be my first time running London as well.  Fortunate to have also got into Berlin this September.  That will be 5 of the 6 "big" ones, though I don't plan on doing Tokyo anytime soon, even if I could get in.image 

• Tokyo was amazing, ran it last February and I recommend it for a PB (or run it in costume and get extra cheering from crowds).

I was thinking about next year's London as a spring marathon so I went to their website today... to find that registrations are already closed! Is this it? Are there no more registrations allowed now unless I go via those tour operators or charities?

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

yes i think thats it - ballot is gone, GFA is done now - sorry but its only the charity and tour routes left now. 

• oh well, Paris here I come then image

• I'm in.image

I ran my first GFA in London this April: 3.11.43 @ 49. I tried last year in Edinburgh but missed out by an agonising two mins thus prompting me to get a charity place (I wasn't going to watch it all again).

That said, I feel a dilemma coming on. I feel a little selfish just taking a place for my own benefit and feel that I should do something for a good cause. I had a stiff fundraising target to meet this year and managed to hit it with a bit (a lot) of arm-twisting so risk heavy charity fatigue if I do so again.

Any ideas greatly appreciated and do any of your regular qualifiers ever feel the same??

Happy running..

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    I have raised in the past but you have earned your place not bought it or won it - years of hard work has got you to this - I am sorry but I intend to enjoy this one for me - selfish I know charity did not earn this place. I just say to people if they want to use my name to raise money then fine - I have probably raised thousands I do not know about
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    I don't see it as selfish - the reason I don't do it for charity is more the fact that all my friends, family and colleagues know I run marathons so I would feel awkward asking for money for me to do something that is "normal" for me. I did do it for charity for the first couple of times but once I got on the GFA role (last 4-5 years) I haven't.

Harty66 - to answer your questions, I would expect you to be in pen 3 with that time. Should be across the line in under a minute, and should be into your running without too much trouble. I reckon there is about 4000 runners on green. The queues for the portaloos are still a nightmare though!
  • Well, that's it, I'm in.  Had a few issues with the website over past couple of days and it wouldn't let me get through all the pages before taking you to the bit where you pay.  Decided that I would have one last try this morning and if it still wasn't working I would take it as 'fate' and do Manchester instead.  Tried this morning and it worked first time image.  Now to look at the nightmare of transport and accommodation!

• Just for interest, which races qualify you for a GFA time? Does it have to be a big, internationally recognised race or does any marathon count? If you ran a local marathon, small field, more of a "race for fun" than a serious event, no chip timing,  would that still count? 

Just what proof do you need to give to claim a GFA place?

• Most big city marathons do GFA.  Most small ones don't.

Usually a weblink to your performance and you have to provide some proof of age.  It usually has to have been done within a year

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    I think as long as it's a UKA recognised event (or overseas equivalent) it can count, doesn't have to be chip timed. I got my first GFA from the Bungay Black Dog marathon - small event in Suffolk with a couple of hundred runners.
  • Thanks folks,

good information.