When should I bin the old shoes? Is 500 miles a good innings?

In the last 6 months I've put just under 500 miles on a pair of saucony cortana 3 that I won in a competition, and I'm now getting to the point where I am thinking about changing them but I've just found out that they will be pricey to replace like for like. I'm pretty lightweight at 65kg and the soles are worn but not destroyed, and they've been worn in rotation with 2 other pairs. So I am now wondering if they are indeed ready for the bin. They still seem to be more or less in shape albeit not quite as plush as they were. Would you keep them in your rotation, and if not, what would be a good alternative in the sub 90 notes bracket? As much as I love the cortana (and I really do love them), I have to concede that I am not worth £125 on shoes. Would a pair of kinvara be as cushioned. I don't think I need the support that the cortana is supposed to have.

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I simply change the inner sole for a nice new cushioned job from the 'running' shop. Hey presto! a new pair of shoes.

I run in shoes until the uppers give way. That's thousands of miles. Then again, I tend not to wear the soles off.

🙂

• I've had the same sweeping brush for 27 years. 15 new handles and 18 new heads but kept the same brush for all that time.

• So I should replace the left one and then the right one to ensure continuity?

• Don't know what the sacony compares against but I've just ordered a couple pairs of asics gt-2000 from startfitness at £50 a pair, also used 10% discount code so got them for £45 a pair.....absolute bargain. They're a support shoe, check them out. 

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think the way a person runs, and how well a particular shoe is built to last, trump any mythical mileage rule of thumb that is supposed to cover all variables. I generally get 1,000+ miles out of everyday trainers, by which time the outer sole will wear away to the foam midsole, which seems like a good time to get some new ones.  My running habit would be twice as expensive if I replaced all my shoes after 500 miles.

• I always get shoes well before my old ones are worn out. And then rotate them.

If they're the same shoe but different ages - then you'll feel when the old ones aren't as supportive or comfy.

Plus you can usually get them in the sales. Dont wait until the bitter end and then start looking for shoes.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I'm heaven for the shoe companies, It might be co-incidence but when i get over around about 400 miles on a pair, I seem to start getting little niggles around my knees, and they go with new trainers, slightly expensive and wasteful of the trainers but i swap to new ones and the niggles go... Maybe i should just run through them, but when i did that in the past it caused me to be out for the odd week or so here n there, so changing more often seems to help for me.  but, everyone is different.

• MoomkinMoomkin ✭✭✭

I'd rather get rid of a shoe a little early than have to go through plantar facititis again!

I was following the 500 mile rule but now that I'm running with Nike Lunar Glide, they seem to have solved the problem for me. With the sole that they currently provide then the shoe has no hope of reaching 500 miles!! Running on `slicks` after 300km of road running. 

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

I'm heaven for the shoe companies...

You're pretty good news for the sports watch companies too! imageimage  I'm considering quitting running and using my money to invest in Garmin...

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

PMSL dats true you know image I love gadgets... always have done, since i was ikkle. I have a boring tale that started it all.... I got Elite, on the BBC Model B image and my bloody tape drive died, so i couldn't save the fact that I was Elite... This meant a lot to me, (long game), anyway.... I wanted a floppy disk to save to rather than tape way cooler, and it was Xmas.... Turns out my pressie was a floppy drive anyway... So I found out to fit it you had to solder a new chip onto the motherboard, well I risked everything and did it with the computer still on, so I didn't loose the fact i'd got to be elite, and amazingly it worked and let me save the game without having to turn it off and on again image Been hooked on gadgets n computers ever since. image

• Sometimes things are replaced because you like shopping and not because they are worn out.

You might find that repeated strikes on flat hard ground make plantar fascia more likely rather than because of your fashion pumps. Try to go for more varied terrain and surfaces. I do and haven't had PF for over 10 years now.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

Sometimes things are replaced because you like shopping and not because they are worn out.

That's true image

• Your body ought to tell you if the shoes are done. Personally I get good use up to around 350 miles from my Brooks but then I`m fairly big (6`3 and 12 stone). After that sort of distance I know I am risking it doing LDRs or real quality stuff so I use them for shorter runs or off-road until 500 miles or thereabouts.

Also if I was you, I`d put the Cortanas on ebay as plenty of folk would probably like to give them a whirl.

• Used to go by the 500 mile rule, but decided a while back I'd give it a whirl and see what happened if I kept using them. Got over 900 miles out of 2 pairs, and am currently on 700 miles on my most recent pair. They don't feel quite as plush as they used to, but no problems. So therefore have now saved the cost of 2 new pairs. I'm 12 and a half stones and usually use a support shoe.

If they aren't causing problems, why change? Once you start getting niggles, then consider it.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I generally tear through the uppers with my big toe before the sole is worn down to the foam. If it isnt too bad I do a patch repair and replce when its clear the sole isnt working right any more.

Withat that in mind, nike flyknit lunar 2 hsnt lasted anywhere near as well as lunarglide