hardest bike course for halves

2»

Comments

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

I believe you.   I used to be OK, age and weight aren't helping me now.   Pity nobody organises a forum trip to the Marmotte or similar next year - anything without swimming or running too far on my dodgy foot would do.  

• hmmm pirate ride in a foreign  country - good idea.

theres a 5 day sportive in the alps that sounds fun - haute route or something????

im game image

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Yes they do a Haute Route for the Alps, Pyrenees and one for the Dolomites - only probably is entry is well over a grand so you'd have to budget maybe £2k for a weeks cycling which I can't really justify / sell to my other half !   

There are multi-day MTB races which I quite fancy even though my MTBing experience extends to a few MTB centres with my kids but I reckon with 12 months to train I could at least get enough skills to get round and it'd be something different for me anyway.    There are also challenge routes like the Raid Pyrenees but I'm not exactly sure how they work - I think you might just register and then do the ride over several days and you get a medal or something - I mean everyone likes a medal don't they !   

With all these things it's always the difficulty of getting others to do them too - it's easier to persuade a group to do the Marmotte again or just spend a week riding in the Alps.   

• Especially on a cross bike as my Road bike was knackered image

• The Helvellyn Triathlon is a tough one, not sure on numbers and don't think its a half but the bike takes in Kirkstone pass and the bottom bit of that is known as "The Struggle" and is 20%

• I have entered the Marmotte sportive if anyone fancies it - July 4th -  there should be about 7-8 of us going down for the week - mostly mamils but a couple of mawils so anyone welcome to tag along.   Long shot but you never know - enter via sport communication website. 

There was a thread on it but seems to have vanished at least the search function can't find it.   

• I spent a week in the Pyrenees in September.... Hired a bike and cycled up a few hills...

Was really pleased with my time to climb the Tourmalet, until the rep on the camp site showed me his Garmin down load.. he had run up it quicker than I could cycle it 

Fabulous area for cycling tho

• I ran up the Kirkstone pass once, is that tough on a bike? Or am I in the land of total pussy?

• Helvellyn - not especially hard tbh.  There is a long drag over to Troutbeck along the A road - steepish bits but relentless more than anything.  The only truly tough bit is The Struggle (Ambleside up the Kirkstone Pass). The majority of the course is flattish and it is about 38 miles. My Garmin showed 3169ft of elevation gain.

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!