Have you ever been first in an event?

2»

Comments

• LJS and I both got 1st place yesterday in a sprint tri - because again there wasn't anyone else in the AG!

• On a bit of a roll lately, won the Luton 10K and the Bedford 5k in the last couple of weeks and came back first in the first leg of the Stevenage relays. (the latter was very dramatic as they were called off after one guy had a heart attack - thankfully on the mend!)

Not won too many races previously, so it's been great. Let's face it, we all love a bit of attention and it does make you feel great, although better if tied up with a good finishing time too. The only problem I have is telling anyone that I won it, when asked - I can't seem to come out with it and mumble image

Saying this, coming well down the pack at the BUPA 10k and doing a good time was just as satisfying.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

The first proper race I won was a 10K that my wife, kids and parents were all watching - they don't normally come to watch - because my young son was going to run the kids' fun run afterwards.  So that was nice.

My main feeling was relief, because; (a) I wondered if I was ever going to win one, due to having developed a habit of turning up to races which I would normally be a contender for, but on the day someone would turn up and smash the course record; and (b) because Ric's description of paranoia about someone shooting past is spot on.  I'd led from the gun, and spent the rest of the race listening out for spectators clapping the guy behind me, convinced he was going to hammer past at any point.  In the end I won by more than a minute and a half.  Maybe I should have just had a look behind me instead.

I've also managed to win a race behind a pace car, break a tape and stand on an actual podium, all of which are awesome, even if the podium was just some painted boxes.

• I don't care about the winning itself. My lifetime goal is to place in a race that has an actual podium, you jammy bastard.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

You should bring your own podium, Lit, and when they call your name at the presentation, just carry it up, and insist on standing on it to receive your trophy.  If you're particularly well-prepared, you could even get a friend to play a tinny version of the national anthem using their iphone.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Not that I was anywhere near using it, but the podium at the British Masters' 10k this year was pretty big.  It was quite tense seeing how the V80 winner would cope getting up on to it, although he didn't seem to struggle.  Fair play, he also managed a sub-50 10k. I'll be happy to use a toilet independently at that age.  image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I've been fortunate to win a few. Yesterdays 2nd place scuppered my chance of 6 straight wins on various terrain. The best one being my hometown 10k with 1600 runners and running behind a lead etc.

all are far outweighed with coming 102nd place at Leeds abbeydash last year and running a PB. 

• Once won a U20 10k road race and never realised it !

Got a real surprise when one of my team mates came to the track the next night with a cracking trophy for meimage 

I had finished, jogged a warm down , showered and was on my way home when the presentation was taking place.imageimage