The Worst Ever...

Comments

• Biloxi Blues was worst film I ever paid good money to see. Once had to suffer Wild West on a long flight as well. Sibling Rivalry was tortuous as well.
    Worst band I ever saw was that blues band with Paul Jones. Good musically bit oooh so full of themselves.
    Mates went to see Splogenasabounds once and said thay were pretty bad.

• Saw a really bad band earlier this year, who the music press are all raving over: they were supporting the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. God, they're awful!

I woke up on a long-haul flight once to catch the end of a film about a basketball-playing dog. I wished I'd woken up about 20 minutes later...
  • Aaaah, Half Man Half Biscuit ... I'm getting all nostaligic for the 1980s. I interviewed them once for a fanzine in about 1986, I think. I was v. young and terribly starstruck. Aaah, the lyrics, pure poetry.

Worst CD - I recently bought the Limp Bizcuit (possibly wrong spelling) CD. Why did I waste £10? My fault for accessing Amazon when tiddly, I suppose.

Worst film - the dingo baby one with Meryl Streep. I wanted the dingo to come back and finish off the whole cast.

Worst gig - Bronski Beat, Oxford Poly, about 1987? It was just after Jimmy somerville left and they were truly dire. Half the audience walked out.
  • How could I forget the totally unforgettable Abyss-Utter Drivel
  • And for totally self indulgent crap by a movie director--- Magnolia

• Ooooh, I'm getting upset again! The Director's Cut of "The Abyss" is very good: the "other" version, having been hacked to pieces, makes very little sense. But I love the Director's Cut!
  • 'Outbreak' was a pretty sh*te film as well, and 'Inferno'....dreadful

• "Sliver" was good though, wasn't it?

Oh no, I'm getting confused - it was utter b*llocks.
  • very annoying.tried to post,switched page and my masterful essay disappeared.
    i fell asleep in the english patient when the plane was flying over the desert,woke up 3 hours later and it still was...must have been a great movie.still better than steel magnolias.
    two worst concerts-one was duran duran,made worse by the fact that we were staying with friends in paris,and he worked for warners.he had a pair of tickets for two concerts,had to trade in one pair to get a pair for us.unfortunately it was tina turner that was sold out and duran duran that was well offered.we were the oldest there by 15 years.
    worst was two years ago,chris de burgh.he's written some-6 or so-good songs.unfortunately he played about 36,most of which sounded the same and his idea of stage humour was really dreadful chauvinist rubbish.an ordeal even if it wasn't a cold and damp summer outdoor 'picnic 'gig.
  • I had to sit thru What's The Worst That Could Happen? on a flight. And you know what? The Worst That Could Happen is that you could be forced to sit thru What's The Worst That Could Happen. Even with no sound I could tell it was a crock.

• Aha a thread to my liking, new to all this..
    I have to admit to only buying three albums ever...Something by Whitney Houston, something by Billy Brag and the High Fidelity sound track. Looking back the one by Whitney was the worst but I think I only bought it because she was in a swimming cosy on the back!
    As to the worst concert...never been to one that I've paid for!!!...yeah I am sad.
    Worst film has to be Robin Hood men in tights. Went with a rather attractive young student so the fact that the film was shite was in fact quite good....Can anyone name the one decent film that Mel Brooks made (seem to remember one that wasn't that bad), he must have had one hit to be able to turn out so much crap since
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    More Half Man half Biscuit had me looking through the LPs, Back in the DHSS is the Album with 'sealclubbing' and 'I hate Nerys Hughes' amongst others.
    The credits list 'a without whom...etc...'
    Matthew Kelly - housewives favourite,should've been a racehorse
    Keith Harris - bubbly,bestial,boring
    Len Ganley - Godfather of Punk
    Jesus Christ- Right arm, over the wicket.

Aaahhhh memories.

Worst Gig ? too many, but TVS (remember them) did a series called 'off the record' - a latter day rock goes to college and there was a week in about 82 when they recorded 7 shows at Gillingham studios (now closed) saw the lot : classics included the Stranglers & Fashion (featured Troy Tate of the teardrop explodes) Thomas Dolby and Talk Talk (disappointing) but , and I have to admit, we also saw Mari Wilson and (and now I'm cringing) Shakatak.
    The last two were only made tolerable by the fit backing singers.

Films: Only two films have I not been able to watch completely before crying with boredom : Gladiator (although I will try again with this one) and Schindlers List (attempted 4 times - but Jeez , its crap).

Plenty of cringe worthy elpees in the collection, not embarrassed by any of them.

80s disco anyone ?
  • Shakatak were fantastic in York
    How could you dustin!!
    And i saw a lot of teardrop explodes
    No accounting for taste eh
  • Gosh! Haven't you all been AROUND! I feel as if I've had a deprived existence now.

But I shall try...
    Worst single bought: Ally's Tartan Army by Andy Cameron. Scotland team's 1978 World Cup anthem. Survived only because of the almost equally dreadful, but quite funne, B side - "Ah wanna be a punk rocker but ma mammy wullnae let me".
    Worst album: Rick Astley's Greatest Hits. It got played a lot in the staff room when I worked in A&E, and I thought I liked it. I went off it when I got my own copy. Also got a T'Pau album which at least has ONE good song.
    Worst film: Pulp Fiction. Fell asleep at "Zed's dead". I really enjoyed Natural Born Killers - it's the only film soundtrack I have ever bought.
    Worst band: er...umm...I've only been to a few non-classical concerts and enjoyed them all. What about "worst opera" - definitely a production of Boris Godunov in Nottingham in 1989. The entire thing sounded like beer cans rolling down the aisle.
  • Aaah, the Gillingham TVS studios. I can picture them now. Saw Haircut 100 there! Dustin, you're not a Medway towns person are you? With a genuine Medway accent?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Genuine accent, born and bred there .
    Unfortunately my wife kidnapped me at the age of 30 and took me off to the delights of Hampshire.

My parents still live in Rainham tho' so I get over there from time to time.

• Worst Gig: Liquid Gold, Fairwater Leisure Centre 1980 or Showaddywaddy, Bristol Colston Hall 1979. (Actually, now I come to think of it Showaddywaddy were pretty good)

Worst Single: Mull of Kintyre, Wings

Worst Album: Zenyatta Mondatta, the third Police album an absolute crime after the first two.

Worst Film: Too many to mention but recently Castaway with Tom Hanks. a typical Tom Hanks film in thet it is twice as long as it needs to be. You could sleep for the middle two hours of Castaway and not miss anything.
  • My Mum REEEEEALLY hated Mull of Kintyre and whenever it used to come on to Radio 2 when I was little, she'd cry in despair 'Oh no it's that AWFUL woman' and turn it off. Consequently I grew up with rather a prejudiced view of poor Linda McCartney (it was her wasn't it, or are my childhood memories decieving me?!?!)
  • Dustin, this is scary - to think that you might have gone to my school.. which is also in Rainham ... were you a Rainham Mark Grammar or a Howard School boy? Or did you go to something more exotic like Upbury Manor?

I escaped the Medway towns at the age of 18 to go to university, and then proceeded to move increasingly further north, ending up in Iceland. I now only visit the place now to see the parents, who quite like it there.
  • So Dustin

Does that make you a man of Kent or a Kentish man? I can never remember.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Lizzy - to my eternal regret the Howard School, should've gone to the tech (sorry Rainham Mark). Had a few friends who went there (nephew still does)

Mr B - If memory serves me correctly if you're born North of the Medway (ie on the east side of the county) you're a man of Kent,if you're South (or Sussex side) then you're a Kentish Man.

Born In Rainham , I'm a Man of Kent.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    (getting worried) LizzyB and Dustin.. I taught in Medway for four years in mid eighties!!!!
  • Ohmygod Barkles ... if you taught me, or any of my friends, I'm really, really sorry. We did mean to come to your lessons
    but it was more fun to go to the Belisha Beacon at lunchtime, drink cider, and then go home and watch the Young Doctors.

So (curious now) where did you teach?
  • Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    I'll be a Kentish man then!
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    That would be telling!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Lizzy - belisha Beacon ? takes me back , didn't it change to the Hop & Vine in the 80s? I guess that makes you a Rainham Mark Schoolgirl?

Go on Barkles , you can't throw a comment in like that without saying where.....
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Oh OK
    taught in Gillingham - Barnsole Juniors and then Walderslade Primary.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Also taught A level Classics for a group at Chatham Grammar for girls - they were half way throug a course and the teacher left.
  • Barkles - you had a lucky escape. You never taught me, or had to decipher my handwriting.

Dustin - Yup, you´re right, it did become the Hop & Vine - I knew it was no longer the Belisha Beacon but couldn´t remember its new name... And I was a Rainham Mark girl. At the time when the uniform was a turquoise tunic, flowery blouse and blue flared trousers. euch! Kids today, they don´t know how lucky ... (etc.)

Aah, the Spyglass and Kettle in Hempstead (or was it Wigmore?) - that was the place to go though - pool tables, little alcoves, cheap beer, Malibu and pineapple, and a fab juke box ... it is no more though, having been turned into a ´Billy Bear´s Family Pub´or something about 10 years ago. Sacrilege. (which I may have spelt wrong but I´m sure Barkles will correct me).
  • Worst band... New York Dolls. They were supprting (?) someone at Empire Pool Wembley a great many years ago and my mate harangued them very loudly throughout their entire set. I was too busy laughing!!

Worst single .. The Mr, Blobby song. Ok I bought it for the children.

Worst Album. Nether Fish nor Flesh. Terence Trent D'Arby. Pretentious git. I believe I left it with my ex-wife... accidentally of course.