London Marathon - your thoughts?

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Maybe that's why people keep believing that races are incorrectly measured when compared to their "God"
  • My GPS had me at 27.93 miles!  I rarely run in cities so am very pleased I took a lucozade pace band and a cheap casio to time each mile!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

God moves in mysterious ways.  Especially round Canary Wharf.

• djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

I met a very nice man there (happened to be the 3 hr pacer)image

• Phil blitzed past me just about 3 miles in I think. Nice shorts.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    According to my Garmin, I ran only 26.15 miles. Bit surprised as when I ran it 2 years ago, I think it was 26.6 and from the same start. I was running near or on the blue line for at least half of it - not sure if that makes a difference. I was on the green start and found the first few miles much busier than when I did it before. But after that I didn't find it too bad. I love the London marathon! I'll probably do again next year as it's my local one and it's a bargain compared to other marathons.
  • To say my Garmin went somewhat AWOL around Canary Wharf is a massive understatement. Unless its telling the truth and I zig-zagged my way through skyscrapers and docks for about 2 miles. Which I doubt. Oh, and I may have taken a diversion in the Blackfriars tunnel and taken a quick dip in the Thames. I doubt that too.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

26.48 for me. The Garmin went a bit odd around the docklands and the tunnels but was expecting it.

Saw someone comment on Facebook claiming they were taking their PB from the time their watch showed 26.2 rather than when they crossed the line!!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

If I did that I'd have to discount my PBs for most distances as my garmin measured them short!

• This was my first marathon and it felt like I was in a rugby scrum for 4 hours with a load of water bottles thrown into it, and an extra mile to run just for fun. 

• Well looking at the LM site ballot will be more difficult to get in next year as entry is open for 4 days !!

Usually the ballot is open until 125k? have registered but some have been moaning about it as they couldn't log in on the day of entry etc etc and it fills up quick. Cant see the problem myself although opening at 12 midnight is a bit silly perhaps open at 7am ?

So I can see see nearing 400k trying to get a ballot place this year !! BUT we must remember this is no longer an athletic event but a charity event. Soon I can see al places being given to charities and you have to apply to them for a place. Money rules

I don't want to sound moany here but why is running such a big charity thing? You get looked upon as a lunatic if when asked by someone "What charity are you running for" when running a marathon and you reply "none - why?"

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Not an athletic event? I thought it had a championship race just behind the elites?

I did 2.54 on Sunday and didn't even get in the top 1000 so there must be more serious runners at this race than any other in the country.

It caters for all, elite, club runners, good for age, the charity runners and first timers. It wouldn't be the race it is without the wide range of people in it.
  • 330 or Bust: I think more people will enter but I'm not sure it will get near 400k. I've never really felt that there were masses and masses of people unhappy they'd missed the ballot. We'll see. A lot will depend on word of mouth on social networks.

As for why is running big with charity.. I suppose because it's an easily accessible activity that people can fit around their normal lives and because the marathon is an event most people recognise as being a physical challenge. Especially for someone who doesn't normally run. Plus there is a running boom at the moment which is pushing up the numbers everywhere.

Millsy: Agreed. London is fascinating from a spectator point of view because you really do get to see the full break down of the field. The wheel chair field, the guided runners, disability runners, the elites, then the quick club runners, and slowly the road becomes more and more full as you get into the masses. It's why I think it's such a great event to watch in person.

• 330 so apart from the pros the elites the Paralympic runners the good for agers the clubs that get automatic places - yeah it's all about the charities - not.

Yes the charity is a big thing - without it London isn't the spectacle it is now. But it's also one of the marathons that's serious about attracting the best runners in the world. They'd not be able to do that if they were a normal race.
  • Nicola I started in the same pen and found myself behind the 3:45 pacer, it was nearly impossible to get past everyone on that bus, it was heaving.  Were you the same? 

I paced my run badly so soaked up the atmosphere from 21 miles on and it was brilliant, love, love, loved it and ill be back if I get an opportunity. 

Ultimately it's all about expectations and now you know, you can make a decision accordingly. 

Also, my garmin measured 26.6 but measured under 26.2 in Manchester last year...  that's garmins for you.  

• Additionally, re green start, that's where the celebs set off from, most of which will gather a crowd and as they're not penned according to a finish time, them and their crowds are also going to need overtaking.  They too create traffic and congestion.  

I don't care though, I loved it.  image

• Millsy apologies and yes of course its an athletic even and you done brilliant, well done

What I mean is that after the elties and those that qualify for the championship its all about charity and that's fair enough

I guess we have to accept what it is. I am no where near good for age and have done London ten times but would love to do it once more. Just don't agree the ballot should be open for 4 days  is that really necessary? The ballot is open until 8th May why take so long to let people know if they are in? Think that's one of the gripes

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It takes a while to announce the ballot for a few reasons including the following; they need to get all of the people that deferred this year to confirm their places; the good for age qualification period usually goes on till June or July and then you have about a month to get your paperwork in . I'm not sure how all the charity applications work but they can't really look at ballot stuff until they know how many places have already been taken up. September looks like the first opportunity to do this.
  • Millsy thanks

And yes all of you lucky enough to have the ability to get GFA should get in. Just wish I could get anywhere near !! Mind you don't know what GFA is for a 57 year old male but certainly faster than me !!!!!

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Thinks it's 3:20. My club mate who is over 50 ran 2:32 on Sunday image
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭

330 - I got in via the ballot, and chose to register for a charity and raise money anyway. 

London has become more than a purist's race it is partly a carnival - this is why you get so many folks out there who basically don't know what they are dong but somehow signed up and are giving it a go. I don't think that linking that urge with fundraising for a good cause is a bad thing. Far from it in fact.

If you are focussed on your PB and cracking 3:30 or whatever (and nothing wrong with that by the way), its probably not the best race to pick anyway.

• Granola

No its not the best I agree !! Yes its a carnival and we will get folk disappointed this year from running clubs who wont get in.

And in no way am I saying people shouldn't run for charity and I myself done it at London. My point was that people will presume if you run a marathon its for a charity just seems strange

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I think relatively few people out there think of marathon running s something you'd do for fun, or because you feel compelled to improve your time etc. IT more likely to be something you got roped into in the pub, or something you are doing for charity / in memory of a loved one etc.

Plus they will likely think in terms of 'the' marathon Iaka London) and not 'a' marathon. Now that Ive done it, Im happy to have sampled  the carnival aspect but unless and until I go properly sub 3 hrs I can see better and more accessible marathons at which to pursue my PB chasing goals.

• I know exactly what you mean Nicola. I ran London last year and, although I view it as a largely positive experience (the crowd support was unbelievable and the end was quite emotional for me for a few reasons) there certainly were negatives there too. It rally is such a MASSIVE event that you can just end up feeling swamped and almost trapped in a 26 mile long funnel of noise and shouting and it can really be very overwhelming. At many points I found the support a very positive thing but at others it was just all a bit too much. I also didn't manage to meet up with my family afterward so it was a bit of a lonely journey back to the hotel.

But, it was my first one so if I do it again, which I hope to do at some point, although not for a while, I'd be more prepared. It isn't the sort of race I'd want to do regularly, being more of a small trail marathon kind of person but for a one off experience, I'm certainly glad I did it.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

You're all putting me off entering next year now! I have ran London twice before, and enjoyed it...but I always seem to remember the good bits in hindsight, and the relentless support can get a bit overbearing...especially when you just want to lie down and cry.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭

Some people use charity places so they can run London,

Others use London so they can raise money for charity,

and I'm firmly in the latter camp.

The rest just want to run London for whatever reason and their experience good, bad or indifferent will reflect their expectations of what they think the London will be.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

You're all putting me off entering next year now! I have ran London twice before, and enjoyed it...but I always seem to remember the good bits in hindsight, and the relentless support can get a bit overbearing...especially when you just want to lie down and cry.

Aw, you'll love it 15W. No congestion at your pace and you can lie down and cry at the end.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

You will be fine Westy. As Lit has said, at your pace you will have a clear road.