Being made redundant

In a pretty shite position at the moment, waiting out my time before i can leave and have a bundle of money in my back pocket.

Sitting here surfing and generally buggering about but this not helped by those not being made redundat (relocation to new site up north) banging on about how busy they are.   The temptation not to stick a ruler in said person head is really hard. Arrogant Tooled Cock womble.

I've tried telling him to shut up but then just pisses me off more. 

I need help. image  Any ideas how to handle it?

Comments

• Go for a run?

If you can't, console yourself with the fact that they'll be stuck in the same old job forever, while you're now free to move on and will have a nice wedge of cash too. You might even end up in a much better job as a result and be glad they let you go.

If you go down the ruler route, make sure it's not yours.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

So you are waiting till you can leave, and are fedup with those who are saying they are really busy working whilst your browsing the net?

..... don't really see your problem? Stick some headphones on for your browsing... The ones staying i can understand being pissed, just chill out a bit more, plan some running routes image

• Have a chat with those who make decisions and request/suggest garden leave?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes redundancy can have benefits. Happened to me twice; once at 20, and again 25 years later.

In the first instance I used the money to buy a new car. In the second instance I bought my freedom.

Priorities.

🙂

• CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

Its just the sitting here with nowt to do.  Those not relocating are left to their own devices.  Can't go for a run, stuck at my desk and there is no chance of gardening leave.  They are not that kind.   Still got 14 weeks to go.

Its a properly wonky redundancy set up.  You just could not make it up! 

On a plus note, i will have cash to buy a nice new bike image

• Do you have any mates that are staying ? You could help them out by doing some of their tasks maybe ? Better than doing nothing.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Wot Cougie said.  It's a nice thing to do.  And you never know when you might want to call in a favour from someone.....................

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

It's probably a choice between that and Candy Crush. image

• 14 weeks - phew, that is a quite a long time to be bored off your arse.

There are lots of free online courses available, why not have a look? It's might be quite a productive and interesting way to pass the time. 

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

From my own experience, use it to your advantage. Arrive late, leave early, have a long lunch break, throw a few sickies. What can they do about it you are already being made redundant?

• apart from cock up a reference maybe Kenbro...

candycrush is your friend

but I cant  believe there is none of your workmates work you couldn be doing...its not their fault that you arent relocating is it

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

If you are being made redundant do you really want to have a reference from them. The bigger hurdle to get over is the stigma of being made redundant, which makes it harder to find employment. 

• I think you kind of answered your own question there Kenbro. The answer's "yes", otherwise anyone could infer that you got made redundant because you were shite.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

There's no stigma to being made redundant if you are just one of the foot soldiers.

If you happen to be an executive or manager then you've your work cut out to prove it wasn't you who screwed up somewhere.

Does the bizarre system still exist that if having been given a redundancy date, if you are 'let go' early, not only are all your wages paid to that date immediately, as well as the official redundancy package, but you don't have to pay tax on it.

Seems you only have to pay tax if you actually work for your money.

🙂

• You could get signed off with stress and go travelling.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

most company references are bland and legally factual.  such as bob worked at ABC ltd  from april 89 to Sept 2015.  he latest role was Chief Buyer which he held for 2 yrs.

and thats about it.  assuming your actions dont get official warnings etc they wont include that.  they certainly wont write Bob was a lazy so and so in his final few weeks were he went for runs and played candy crush

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

I think that you have made an assumption based on no information there sreamapillar

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Might start getting a little ill... The odd day off if you are doing sod all won't do any harm. 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I don't see what the problem is. They're paying you to sit around and do nothing. You've opted not to take the relocation deal but those who have are looking forward to it. Good for them and again, I don't see why that should irk you.

Relax, do some surreptitious surfing, throw the odd sickie, take it easy. You'll be back on the work treadmill again soon enough.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    Do you have any mates that are staying ? You could help them out by doing some of their tasks maybe ? Better than doing nothing.

You're kidding right?

🙂

•  image Not an entirely outrageous suggestion seeing that the OP is actually being paid to be there at the present time.

The issue is not the lack of work, it is just those who chose to go to Sluff banging on about how busy they are.  It is a choice thing and i did not want to go there.

What i do not need if some little shit banging on about it.   That is the issue, thus mention of ruler in head!   

Oh, we were told all this back in Feb............  so top bit of redundancy planning.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Ah, now I understand. Jeez, if I was moving to Sluff I'd keep quiet about it.

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough
    It's not fit for habitation now ...

Perhaps i missed out the location!!   New Forest or the Arse end of Britain?   tough call.

The old poem has been bounded around.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

image Not an entirely outrageous suggestion seeing that the OP is actually being paid to be there at the present time.

You're kidding!

🙂

Being paid, yes.  Work to do, None.  As i am not moving my workload has dried up. i have asked for what is worth.

Would i prefer to be busy, Yes as it is better than nothing.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Does the bizarre system still exist that if having been given a redundancy date, if you are 'let go' early, not only are all your wages paid to that date immediately, as well as the official redundancy package, but you don't have to pay tax on it.

Seems you only have to pay tax if you actually work for your money.

Not exactly.  PILON is taxable, redundancy payments up to £30k are not.

Anyway - lots of stuff here https://www.futurelearn.com/

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Just had a read up on PILON.

The OP expects to be made redundant in 14 weeks time. If the employer now rocks up and says 'right then, clear your cage, hand back your chains and bugger off this minute',  then it's effectively breach of contract.

So you'll get the money you would earned up to the official 'end date', paid tax free.

🙂

My redundancy date starts beginning of August, if i go before then i get nowt.  if i stay to the end i get money.   

This is the weirdest redundancy i have been through but then this is a wonky company to work for.