Running a marathon

2»

Comments

• I ran FLM 2001, and managed to run most of the way up to around 20 miles - though this did include some walking around the Isle of Dogs. Then between 20 and 21 miles, my legs seized up, and I more or less hobbled / stumbled through the final 5 and a bit miles. The last 5 miles took me 80 minutes. But there was no way that I was going to give up - even when I got overtaken by the viking longship (don't ask), I wasn't going to stop! I finished in a time of 5:28, but I did finish, and as far as I'm concerned, that's the important thing. Next year, I'm going to be better prepared, and get a better time.

There's no shame in walking if it gets you round!

• Thanks for sharing you're memories guys, means a lot. Hopefully see you at FLM2003.

Keith, thanks for the cheque hint, thats useful to know
  • Benz, where can I find your smiling (or grimacing) face at onrunning? (curious now!) I'm trying to find some pictures of other people I know on there, too, and not having much luck!
  • No way, Psi
    I thought I was looking better since i started running, but that picture really horrified me
    Its by bib number, and no you cant have mine
    Think of me as a gin sozzled hippo
  • Very interesting reading

I've been having doubts about wisdom of next years FLM. I have sent off cheque and donated fee so I am leaving it in lap of gods. If I get in then I will try my hardest, if I don't then I will try to improve my half marathon and try more seriously next year golden bonds etc.
  • BK/Benz - yeah, I've sent mine in too. But don't hold out too much hope as I got in this year through the ballot.
    I've now completed 29 marathons, and know that if ever I stop running during a race, no matter how slow, and start to walk, I can't start running again. So I plod on.
    At aid stations - try flattening the cup slightly and pouring the drink out of the funnel. It works really well and you can carry on running. Also, don't go for the first tables, run on past the crush and pick up a drink from one of the last tables, saves dodging other runners and you won't need to break stride.
  • Thanx, good advice
    I CAN run/walk, because I have to
    29 marathons???
    Are your knees ok?
    What an inspiration, id love to be able to say that
  • I've run 2 marathons (London 2001 & 2002) and in both, around the 19-23 mile mark, I ran miles that were SLOWER than if I'd started walking! Strange but true.

At New York on Nov 3rd, I might try walking the drinks stations - will let you all know how this goes if I do.
  • Benz, as you wish; I can hardly object, when I choose to have a flag representing my face on the forum!! ;)