tri training and marathon training combo

Anyone offer any advice on how to train for my first Tri and also do a Marathon mid April?
Would it be best to continue running milage and keep other disiplines ticking over ?
Rupert

Comments

• Not sure I can really advise you but I am training for a Marathon and an Ironman but are pretty new to this.

Advice depends on your aspirations i.e. have you any targets in mind and also your current fitness level.

Im a pretty slow runner my Marathon target is sub 4.00hr but if the training goes well it would be nice to get around 3.30 or 3.40.

Fitting it all together:- I cant state distance or intensity as that depends on fitness and goals. Personally I try and split my weekly training into 7-9 sessions over 6 days of the week, 1 is kept for rest.

3 runs (long, medium and short recovery), 3 bike sessions (long, medium and speed reps/hills or spinning) and 2 swims (endurance and speed reps).

There are people on the forums more experienced and qualified than I (ive run 2 Marathons but not done a Tri yet).

I was tempted to concentrate more on the running as the Marathon is 3 months before the Ironman but ive been advised to concentate on the bike as a) its the key ironman stage and b) good cross training without the impact.

Good luck.

• What is your tri and how important to you are each of the races and when are they?

I did an olympic tri with not much tri training but had a good distance base from having done a marathon and having kept up on the long runs.

Although the open water swim could have done with some more open water practice and I wasn't as swim fit as I wanted to be it wasn't too bad, the bike also was OK and the run went fine. I think leaning how to pace yourself over several hours and how to use energy drinks were important skills Ileant for the marathon that then helped the tri a lot.

Times 3 14 for the marathon and 2 25 for the tri which was much less hard work

Roger
  • Rupert - it depends really on your background and your strengths. I too am training for an April marathon (my 33rd)and the new tri season including an IM. Our tri club swims 3 times (5 hours total) per week which suits me because the swim is my weakest discipline. At present I'm biking twice and running 4 times per week, long run at the weekend specially for the marathon. After April I'll bump up the biking hours and keep the long run ticking over.
    I'd be inclined to go easy on the bike/swim until after your marathon, but it depends on what your body can handle.
    Good luck!
  • Oh I forgot to mention - if logistics allow, you might try running or biking to and from your local pool. Good practice for multi-discipline, we do that a lot.