The VW Diesel cover up

2»

Comments

• Great post Peter.
  • Cheers! I think the area for real development for now is not in engines but in weight. Cars are just too heavy. Kill the weight and you can improve performance and economy. Hybrids are a folly due to their weight, complexity, poor green credentials (manufacture) and are also being pushed due to the way they can give great test results but again in the real world rarely match up to the claims.

• Power to weight ratio? It sounds like we are back in the topic of running !image
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Hydrogen call cars. When that tech is sorted, the engine gets replaced with s motor. Long story short, we'll all be driving washing machines
  • The issue seems to be working out how to harness the the power of the most abundant thing in the universe.
  • I don't think the average person is bothered in any way about this.   We buy cars for many reasons, cost, colour, performance or even cos your mates got one but I doubt many seriously consider the actual emissions apart from the fact the tax is cheaper!  

/members/images/37412/Gallery/VW_Hitler.jpg

• Inevitable Downfall parody here.

• I reckon quite a few people are bothered about this - people who may face having software updates on their cars that will affect their performance and/or fuel consumption for one but a lot of people are bothered about the publicity being given to the damage that air pollution can do.    

I live just outside a city centre maybe 30 yards from a road that is clogged with traffic during rush hour - it does make you wonder.   One of my kids gets exercise induced asthma - I'm not saying this is the cause but far more kids get asthma now than 50 years ago and a quick google says it's linked to urban living.      

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Dave, looks like your Audi is also suspect. Audi and even Porsche are now being accused of the same behaviour as VW.
  •  

Ah, the scumbag/non-scumbag dichotomy is alive and well. George Osborne would be proud image

I don't think the average person is bothered in any way about this.   We buy cars for many reasons, cost, colour, performance or even cos your mates got one but I doubt many seriously consider the actual emissions apart from the fact the tax is cheaper! 

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I thought you'd be off nailing jelly to your sandcastle againimage

Though to be fair, your quotes are generally better researched than the links your supporting your points image
  • Wow, you successfully formed a sentence. Is this a sign of the end times?

• Well first,  there is the VW brand but there is also the VW group. So VW also own, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Porsche, Bugatti and  Bentley.

Assume all of them are likely to have the same issues. Less Diesels in the last three though I guess.

Second most emission testing isn't great and we all know nobody gets the MPG claimed for instance but it should still be able to be comparative.

The issue here is not that the cars can't meet the emissions standards. They can. it is just that cars that meet emissions standards don't go as fast so the software effectively turned the emissions controls off unless test conditions were detected.

These are also NCAP 5 rather than 6 which is were adblue comes in to remove Nitrogen Dioxide.

I am not sure that this is widespread among other manufacturers, My Vauxhall is certainly using it's Adblue and also triggered an exhaust warning early on although that was probably faulty but it is doing it.

The latest issue on CO2 emissions I don't understand so much. Why are these wrong and is the fuel not burning correctly. So trying to get them into a lower tax band is one thing but may be other issues.

Of course the tax banding is changing soon so much of this will be irrelevant.

it is very short sighted of VW though. You may get away with it for a while but these things always get found out eventually and then really impact you.

They will be hoping that people assume all manufacturers are at it and therefore minimize the impact on them. However I am really not sure that everybody is. I actually find it a bit surprising that VW are the ones to have done it. German engineering has provided the tools to achieve this but Germany is quite a Green, environmentally aware country. This won't be going down well at home either..

• Surely Ford et al would monitor their rivals engines and test them ? How are they getting such low levels ? Aaah = that's how !

And either Ford and co would use those tricks or surely they'd out them ?
  • Well It depends. If Ford ran a standard test then the defeat software would kick in, If they ran the test that the American did then they would see a difference. They would then need to break the code themselves to understand what was happening although you would have thought they would have raised it. They may not have wanted to stir things up because the actual emissions just like consumption are worst in reality than the tests for all the manufacturers but not to the degreee that VW are seeing. Might have been a case of Ford et al being in the glasshouse and not wanting to throw stones without realizing that their glasshouse had double-glazing and VWs had very fragile glass image 

Also perhaps VW were just trusted and that is a key thing they have now lost. They have destroyed a pretty strong brand image.

Also note that in October Sales of VW branded cars fell 9.8%, Skoda dropped 3% and Seat sales sank 32.2%. However, sales of Audi, Porsche and Bentley cars all rose.

The market was down somewhat across the board but they have certainly seen a hit.