Junior Doctors- are they the new scrounges?

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

It's accepted that junior doctors worked or used to work daft hours when on call in hospitals, and cutting their hours seems reasonable, however, much of their working experience was gained when the consultants did their rounds.

Invariably this was at a time of day when the junior may well have already clocked 16 hours.

🙂

• its all statistics though isnt it......If the government put 11% extra on the hourly rate of doctors.....but then say that they are reducing their hours to make it safer for all....

the government will truthfully say there is a 11% payrise.......the doctors might be taking home £10 a month less each month than they were due to their reduced workload.....so would say they have a paycut

both are correct.......I'm not saying that this is what is happening on this occasion.just how they can bany around figures as they please...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I doubt if doctors are paid by the hour and actually 'clock in'.

It's one of the pitfalls of being an employed monthly paid professional. It's expected for their status to put in extra hours and effort without additional pay. They get what they get.

🙂

• they might not.they are paid an annual salary.....but they do have an hourly rate

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I guess the answer is the same as it it for teachers, nurses and any other pblic sector worker who is getting shafted by the Tories. Work to rule. As Ric points out, there is an expectation that doctors will do more than they are paid to do because they always have done. They have always been treated with respect too and if that has changed then I don't see why they'd be arsed to work extra hours for an already reduced salary.

The doctors should clock in and clock out. Do the job to the best of their ability in the time they get paid for and sooner rather than later there will be plenty of extra pay for the overtime that they are contracted to undertake. The govt is playing a shitty game of poker with public services and their strongest card is that the people providing the services care more about the public than the govt do.
  • very few jobs nowadays where people can clock in and clock out.

One advantage of doctors and nurses is that if you have a day off annual leave or sick.then someone is found to step in and do your job....

many jobs you come back from absence and only the bare minimum of your work has been done so you have to work more just to try and get straight again

• The days of a locums  covering leave or sick are long gone Seren....  All that happens is you get a grumpy patient next time they see you..

• asitis wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

I'm with Dave.....I wouldnt want to go to hospital on the weekend if I was seriously ill

Neither would I. Hospital mortality rates are 10% higher on weekends.

That's nothing to do with quality of care, though. It's down to the fact that routine procedures aren't normally scheduled at weekends. Thus, the procedures that are performed are proportionally more risky, hence a higher mortality rate.

Basically, there are proportionally more emergency (and thus riskier) procedures carried out at weekends. Your actual risk of death at a weekend is unaffected on a case-by-case basis. Beware of statistics used out of context.

• It might be statistics..... But all the medics I know recommend avoiding hospital at a weekend, they must have some reason for this.

• asitisasitis ✭✭✭

I would say it has everything to do with quality of care.

Every year over 10,000 more people die within 30 days of being admitted over the weekend compared to over the week. They are not just as a direct consequence of an emergency operation.

Yes, all the reports claim that people admitted on weekends are generally likely to be more sicker but there is a lack of senior and junior doctors on duty, They are on call. There is also an increase in time for laboratory tests putting patients at a higher risk because the staff are not there.

On a case by case basis you are more likely of death.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Don't think the Cons are really to blame to putting the financial boot into the public sector. The fact that they are doing so isn't quite the same thing.

Historically the public sectors low pay levels were balanced with great benefits. Then after a decade of borrowed plenty they had not only surpassed the private sector on pay, but still had those benefits, and benefits based on that inflated pay.

No wonder a job in the public sector became de rigueur. 

Having said that. The current Government seems to make it's decisions on the economy based on the reactions of their well heeled connections at Holland park dinner parties.

Basically, if a policy means one of their rich mates takes a hit then they won't make it.

🙂

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    So 98% of junior doctors say they are willing to walk out if the imposition of the new working contract goes ahead as planned by Mr Hunt and Osborne. Looks like it is all unwinding for Osborne when you look at this and the tax credits row as being 2 of his big ideas hat are doomed to failure.

If only nurses, teachers, firefighters and other public service workers had the same middle class confidence to stand up to the Tories, then perhaps they wouldn't have been shafted by Cameron, Osborne, Hunt. Gove & co.

Still, it isn't too late. They'll have to try and create cuts somewhere to cover the failed cuts on tax credit and junior doctors pay so perhaps the rest of the public sector will be buoyed by the doctors stand and tackle the bullingdon boys head on.
  • They've only voted to go on strike, They haven't gained anything yet

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    They have set their stall out in no uncertain terms. They can not lose because there is no viable alternative to replacing them all in this lifetime.
  • No but they can crawl back with their tales between their legs and accept what has been offered
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

I am sure they will have stories to tell.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Before the vote Hunt was refusing to talk to them and playing games to try and get the public on his side in typical slimy politician style. Post vote he wants to talk to them. That is a victory of sorts. He looks like a twunt now.
  • And the BMA refused to talk before the vote, and that makes the look like what ?

Always two sides
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    That was the spin from what I gather. The BMA said it was Hunt who would not engage, even in the days before the ballot was due to go out, all he did was use sound bites to try and make it look like he was mr reasonable.

As I'm neither a junior doctor nor a politician I don't have a vested interest by I do want to see the Tories lose on their ideological quest.

What is your daughters opinion on this? She is a doctor isn't she?
  • Nope, she manages a private care home 

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, confused you with someone else.
  • Please take any warnings needed about slight NSFW-ness from the URL itself:

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2015/11/19/bbc-accidentally-broadcasts-jeremy-hunt-protest-vagina/

..it's pretty much what that URL promises, gloriously. Worryingly on-topic.

• I saw that yesterday brilliant.

vdot52, my Sprog dropped out of the NHS having made it to A&E Sister, no where near enough money in it... Seems to de doing OK, called in on Weds to say hi, and her 4 day old Audi made mine look very scruffy 

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    It's is always about the chattels with you isn't it Dave. You were once poor, now you are not. No need to posture. You made it. Congrats.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Katte, They have not wasted their education then.

Sadly they probably would have been censored if the had drawn a cock. I mean, it seems that Gove is not allowed on tv these days.
  • 76% turnout and 98% yes vote to walk out. A bit more of a mandate than 36% of the vote on a 66% turnout.

Hunt is refusing to go to ACAS. I wonder why.

• Not sure what you mean, ONCE I was poor, still am Mate 

• I did say the Junior Docs would back down..... 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Brand new Audi. No problem. Less than £300 per month on a lease.

Audi R8 £1648 for 24 months.

New Vauxhall Corsa £130 /month!

Such are new cars. 

It's an illusion. You don't ever own them. It's legalised vehicle repossession.

🙂

• Not on lease tho, she bought it with cash on top of the trade in on her Focus... I did say private is the way to go