working at it slowly

Comments

• Larraine, I've had troubles with my back and you have my sympathy. I know it's a horrible pain. And yeah, if you can't run, you're workout everyday until you can, is not smoking. You'll be healthier when you go back to running than if you light up.

Although it's not much good once you're back actually 'goes', when it's better I thoroughly recommend stretching. The reason I had trouble with my back was because I never stretched and developed extremely tight muscles in my (cough!) bum (cough cough!) from cycling. Stretching was laughable to begin with coz people didn't actually realise that was what I was doing! Most people can get into those positions without any tension in their muscles at all. But, as time's gone on, my back's been far less problematic as my muscles loosened.
  • XBXB ✭✭✭
    Weekend's here and a busy one for me but I will get out and stretch my legs.

If I don't pop in, a final and sincere GOOD LUCK to all who are running races this weekend. Go plod.

Where will you find a load of dancing buns?

XB
  • Larraine, hope your back eases slightly with time and your physio. Good luck staying of the cigs.. you CAN do it!

Welcome g s eyles I'm new to the site, and regret I can't run 8 miles! Let alone your 10! So good luck in your 'runs' coming up.

I've a 5k planned for July and that is my aim.. :o)

Weighed in today and lost another 2lb's so am pleased (that is my first weight loss since starting running 3 weeks ago). Patience is a great thing in my weight loss journey. I just keep telling myself it took years to gain it!
  • XBXB ✭✭✭
    In abundance.

I'm on my way...keep my coat
  • G L T A Y
    O U R N E
    O C I D O
    D K N

(Sorry folks, that's what a 'ickle drinkie does to you - that's supposed to be "Good Luck Trin and Yeo", who are wunning at Windybum this weekend, Sunday to be precise)

Now where did I put that drinky-poo.

• What a busy thread - took me ages to catch up.
    Hello to all newbies - you all sound so much fitter than me and you've got loads of races planned - good on you all.
    - Trin, glad to hear you've picked up and you've got a good plan for Sunday - all the best, you to Yeo!
    I've had a great running week, got sister-in-law well hooked on this running milarky!
    Since starting her on a run/walk programme and going out with her this week I've managed to up my mileage, as once she goes home I set off for my run and I feel fab - put on a pair of trousers to work today that 2 weeks ago, pulled straight off again as my bum defo looked big in it - but today fitted like a glove! Well chuffed!
    - CoachB think I'll join you with a wee glass of plonk - cheers.
  • Well this is an interesting Thread. I had a reeally bad run today, could do with cheering up since I am off schedule for GMR 23/05
  • Hi T1 and all,

Tonight I have just had a fab run with friends. It was one of those golden nights when running was easy, breathing was right and I just felt real good about life the universe and everything. We did about 4.5 -5 miles at a nice pace.

Oh I feel good, so good tonight!!!!!

Larraine

Sorry to hear about your back, I hope it is better soon.

It actually made me think back to over a year ago when my husband did his back in. At the time we were running a youth group with others from church. Some of the kids were showing us how to break dance. Now my husband is early 50's but thought it looked easy, so gave it a try.

He found it was not quite as easy as it looked. He landed straight on his back after a couple of moves! I went into work on overtime the next day and received a phone call from him. He was still in bed and could not move, luckily the phone was his side of the bed for him to call me. I ended up coming home and helping him to get up. He was in so much agony we ended up in casualty. My husband was so embarassed about how he did it he could not tell the doctor, so he said he had slipped up and fell backwards onto the floor. He was given some injections and tablets to relieve the pain. When we got out of the hospital we doubled up in laughter. He still has not lived it down, but the kids were impressed!
  • Trin and Yeo good luck with the run! Let us know how you get on.
  • i have never had an easy run
    i await with anticipation
  • Hi pepes
    Half way through a night shift
    boo hoo

feel free to amuse me!!!
  • trin, if you stick to your plan and come in in 2:45 you'll beat me, cos I'm aiming to do constant 11m/m and finish in 1:50

I'll try and post or email you before Sunday, but I'm in for a mad weekend finishing with the race

so if I don't know how to identify you before Sunday, I'll just have to keep on staring at young ladies' chests until I see one with 29 on it
  • mistype

obviously I was refering to your 1:45
  • and sorry IMM, I'm off to bed

night
  • Good luck everyone running over the weekend! You can do it!

• Well.....

In just under 24 hours I'll be starting the 10 mile race.

Nervous?-last night I dreamt about the race. Or, at least, I dreamt that I got as far as the changing room to discover that I'd left my shorts at home!!

I have raced 3 times before, but nothing like this distance.

I keep trying to remind myself that I can always just jog round, but, then again, my normal pace is a jogging one.

Oh well, one more day of rest and tomorrow will be here.

Good luck Trin, Yeo, anyone else racing this weekend.

TFF
  • Good luck TFF ! Try not to worry too much or you won't get a good rest. Pack your stuff today.. so you don't have to worry about forgetting your shorts! ;)

As you say, you can jog around, and no matter your pace, it's the taking part that is the achievement (and finishing of course)!

• Good luck all who are running/racing this weekend. I'm off to Reading now, I can't wait for all the reports when I get back on Sunday!
  • BTW larraine how's the back? not too bad I hope
  • Hi all,

Just got back from physio. I've been rolled and pushed and pressed and given excercises to do with the advice of givving it a couple of days to settle down and if it is no better by Monday, to go back and see him again. Hopefully the one session will be enough. He says I've got a disk slightly out of place and pressing on a nerve and that's what is causing the pain. So, no running for me for a few days. I have had this problem before but lately I haven't been doing any strengthening excercises for my back, which usually keep everything in place, so I suppose its partially my own fault its gone again. It seems that back problems recurr once you've had them once, or maybe I'm just unlucky.

Feel better mentally now that |I've been for some treatment, as I know it will improve with a few days excercises. I am not allowed to bend, which is really going to be arkward, and I have to sit very straight with a rolled up towel behined my back. I look rather strange.

So, that's enough of my problems.

Seems like everyone else is having a good day. Hope all the plods go well.
  • HI Everyone,

Fellow slow runner here. I am on about 10.5 min miles (11 if there are too many hills!).It is good to see that there are other people out there.
  • Hi Troy, good to hear there's lots of us lower plodders around
  • Hi Larraine, Sounds like the physio did you good. At least u know the prob is an old prob and not a new 'unknown' one (if that makes sense)! Hope it eases over the weekend for you.

It's sure quiet on the boards today! that's weekends for ya and a lot of races going on.

Well am off for my plod in about an hour (waiting for hubby to get home).

Welcome Troy, 10.5 mm doesn't sound bad to me! I thought that 15 mins was the average and I can't do 10 mins straight running yet! In time... :)

• Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭
    Not going out today - boo hoo - so a nice early morning one tomorrow.
    Had to stay in and be a plumber's mate - spot which joints were leaking, look at the ceiling and shout "it's coming through here now!!!"
    Being grown-up's no fun ...
  • Pippi LS - I thought perhaps a plumber's mate would be practising sucking air in teeth and going "It'll cost ya, mate"!!!
    Hopefully you didn't get drenched ......

Greetings to Troy and Newgirl. Methinks we're a friendly bunch of crackpots on here, so feel free to pop in/out whenever you want to share anything or even just "blag" about how well things are coming on with your running. In my opinion sometimes it's as much a mental effort to strap your shoes onto your feet and do de plod. It looks like encouragement is not in short supply on this thread!

larraine - put your feet up for a bit, pretend you can't do ANYTHING, and get hubby and offspring to run round you and attend to your every whim. Go on, you know you want to!!

TFF - much luck good (rearrange).
  • Hi everyone!
    Sounds like you've had fun Pippi LS!

Coach B, I agree about the mental effort to put on your shoes! :)

I've a bit of a dilemma that I've caused myself now..

I'm doing a running course from Cool Running.com and have just officially finished week 2, but have been working toward week 3 for the last 2 runs. Sooo today what did I do.. but go out and kick the arse out of Week 4's set up!
    So now i'm confused as to which week I should do next!

Week 3 is 90 sec run, 90 sec walk, 3 min run, 3 min walk. (two sets)

Week 4 is 3 min run, 90 sec walk, 5 min run, 2.5 min walk (Two sets)

So, what do you think? I even extended my final run today to 6.5 mins which I'm rather pleased about. My breathing is totally fine now, only my calves were a little more tense/jelly like at the end of the 6.5 mins.

Your advice is appreciated, I don't want to over do it but don't want to stand still either! ;)

• Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    (Scratches head, drums fingers on desk, stares thoughtfully at the Runner's World calendar on the wall .... all the usual things that people do while waiting for the brain to wake up).

Well PH.
    This is my opinion, but please don't think I'm an expert.
    Firstly, good on you for putting a dent in the backside of week4. That's really good that you've done that, and don't feel too bad afterwards. I'm pleased, I really am.
    You may have said something crucial though - your "calves were a little more tense". Sounds as though your cardio-vascular fitness is putting the rest of us to shame, but remember that the rest of your body needs to be able to keep pace. I mean your calves and ligaments and muscles and things need to build up their strength, too.

Even though it's tempting to jump ahead a little bit as regards the schedule, it may be better to stick to the program. Let your body adjust and build up strength in ALL areas gradually.

Again, that's just my opinion. I hope it makes sense.

Really well done - it's good to hear someone's making progress, and enjoying it too!!

CB
  • Thanks Coach B, it does make sense and they did feel a little more tense, but felt fine again after cooling/stretching out.

Think I'll have to see how I feel on tomorrow (in case i ache - hope not) and Monday (next run).

Either way I don't mind, I've a long time till my 5k run at the end of July.

Thanks again,
  • Hello - welcome to all newbies and good luck to all taking part in whatever tomorrow - I am on nights again and hopefully will be asleep most of tomorrow - but thinking of you all
    Will be out on the streets again tomorrow afternoon to see what I can do! although never a good run after a night shift!!!