Scotland Coast to Coast 2016

2»

Comments

• So that was a pretty big day out then. Absolutely loved it. Much harder than I thought it would be. Whole bike was into a 20mph+ headwind which made it miles tougher than I was hoping. 

Got my head down and just ground it out to Fort William and then ran as much of the final leg as possible, walking the rest. Got silly at points.

Final kayak was hellish, full cramp in both legs but somehow made it across with the bloke i was with who had similar issues.

Somehow ended up finishing 16th of 300+ on the day which I was bloody surprised and happy with,

Struggled to walk on Sunday and Monday...popped to A&E to have it checked and turns out ive fractured my tibia during the run. Finding out the extent of the damage at the fracture clinic tomorrow. Needed a rest anyway!

Made a video here with a longer write up linked from it. 

Highly recommend the event. Great route, really raw back-to-basics man vs nature kind of route rather than the more clean clinical world of Ironmans. Great test, good fun. Organisation was a total shambles but fortunately didn't have any major consequences. Seemed nobody working there knew anything about the event, where to leave bags, when to be somewhere, where the transfer bus goes from etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKYkNjozHyI

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Well done. We had similar issues with the disorganisation.

Looking at the results and working out teams my brother and I were 6th , 3rd team and 1st vets team.

No final kayak in the 2 day.

Excellent on lots of levels but very underwhelmed at the end finishing in a sports centre.
  • Bit crap that they're disorganised. I did the first two years and that went pretty smoothy. Staggering that they've got worse with practice.

Well done everyone. It sounded like hard conditions for you.

Any explanation for them starting late?
  • The timing chip people seemed to be faffing around which i think was the issue. 

The RR staff are very good, issue is the volume of volunteers/helpers they get in on the day who have no idea what's going on and haven't been briefed properly.