The best of the forum

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

met em both there yes!

although I dopily only realised it was the big man DF afterwards!

• Non confrontational and devoid of flounce, I loved this thread...over the years the one thing consistent about this forum is sharp wit and this thread was a perfect example.

Lesser Books

• Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

I don't get what you mean, Meldy me old mate. 

Sorry Phyllis .. which bit are you having problems with ?  image

• cougie wrote (see)
    Oh yes the no race number one is an excellent one.

What about the posts from D2D ? Did they go with her ?

Last seen on some Facebook group selling her old underwear, she had removed the inserts from the padded bra as they slowed her up ... I kid ye not

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I remember Samir posting as a newby on the magnificent thread (removed) Team GB. 

Yes, he gave all the patter as some delusional kid who was convinced he was fast, based on his pavement pb's.

When finally he was forced into actually doing a race, he ran something like sub 27 minutes for 5 miles?

🙂

• D2D's YouTube channel is always good way to brighten up a dull afternoon 

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

I met Samir a couple of years back.  We'd all persuaded him to test himself at a local parkrun (which happened to be my local parkrun in Gunnersbury).  He was pretty quick and finished in about 16:40 - definitely had some talent.  I invited him along for my 7 mile run after and got chatting to him; he was nice enough, but genuinely believed that with funding he would be good enough for Olympic standard.  Just couldn't accept that the level of talent and dedication required was on a different planet.

Last time I saw him, was when I was working at the Royal Parks half.  Leading out the first wave of runners was none other than Samir, wearing a false/forged race number.  Yep, you've guessed it, it was.......no. 1 !!!! imageimageimage

According to the race director in the lead car, he was still in the joint lead up to about 10k, then mysteriously disappeared.  He never came past the finish line, and has rarely been seen in the running world since.  A quick look at his Po10 page is like the Marie Celeste.  Though he did come 375th at the National Cross last year.  Might not be enough for the Rio selectors.

• Yeah but all it would take is for a freak accident like all 374 runners ahead of him are on the team bus when...

Oh best not give him any ideas.
  • I expect to aee him at Rio in the marathon.........when the runners are on the streets i expect Samir in kit and false number to sneak into the group and sprint to teh front  confusing the commentators as to who he is... image

• Going back a few years, used to love it when the forum picked another often utterly irrelevant forum to invade, usually between Christmas and New Year, started off with RW USA I think, a bunch of ridiculous threads started, many arguments and the fun of it being that their mods were tucked up in bed for the bulk of it, one other 'attack' was on a knitting forum IIRC, them were't days image

• Dan A wrote (see)

I met Samir a couple of years back.  We'd all persuaded him to test himself at a local parkrun (which happened to be my local parkrun in Gunnersbury).  He was pretty quick and finished in about 16:40 - definitely had some talent.  I invited him along for my 7 mile run after and got chatting to him; he was nice enough, but genuinely believed that with funding he would be good enough for Olympic standard.  Just couldn't accept that the level of talent and dedication required was on a different planet.

Last time I saw him, was when I was working at the Royal Parks half.  Leading out the first wave of runners was none other than Samir, wearing a false/forged race number.  Yep, you've guessed it, it was.......no. 1 !!!! imageimageimage

According to the race director in the lead car, he was still in the joint lead up to about 10k, then mysteriously disappeared.  He never came past the finish line, and has rarely been seen in the running world since.  A quick look at his Po10 page is like the Marie Celeste.  Though he did come 375th at the National Cross last year.  Might not be enough for the Rio selectors.

Maybe the whole running with a false number and not crossing the finish line thing was the point at which he finally gained a bit of self-awareness?

• Daylight Baby wrote (see)

Going back a few years, used to love it when the forum picked another often utterly irrelevant forum to invade, usually between Christmas and New Year, started off with RW USA I think, a bunch of ridiculous threads started, many arguments and the fun of it being that their mods were tucked up in bed for the bulk of it, one other 'attack' was on a knitting forum IIRC, them were't days image

Wasn't the USA invasion reciprocated at one point?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

D2D's YouTube channel is always good way to brighten up a dull afternoon 

There was a video that went along the lines of "how to be as successful a runner as me" with a backdrop of tonnes of medals. Cringe worthy.

Dan A wrote (see)

Won't beat his legendary Reading half marathon run out. Leading the race for half a mile or so! Only against sub 1hr 05 type quality like Scott Overall!

The video is insane, him leading, and then this pack of quality runners thinking "what the fudge is happening here".

Inevitable meltdown occurred, and I remember catching him at about 4miles, having a nice little chat, and then a couple of others I knew reported similar further on. Before he rolled in 1hr 30 or so.

I think he even had some niggly injury beforehand too, just to make it even more mad.

He's got a lot of quality and potential though. I'd like to see him get luck with injury, train properly, and he could probably go sub 16 for 5k.

Ok, nowhere near Olympic standard, but excellent for local fare.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)
    Daylight Baby wrote (see)

Going back a few years, used to love it when the forum picked another often utterly irrelevant forum to invade, usually between Christmas and New Year, started off with RW USA I think, a bunch of ridiculous threads started, many arguments and the fun of it being that their mods were tucked up in bed for the bulk of it, one other 'attack' was on a knitting forum IIRC, them were't days image

Wasn't the USA invasion reciprocated at one point?

Sounds familiar, not sure they managed such good numbers though

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

/members/images/493151/Gallery/Samir.JPG

Samir Haddad.

🙂

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    The kid behind him looks faster.
  • is this him? The guy in blue who suddenly vanishes from the lead ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofud-WrGNf8

• Yup.

Wonder what the others were thinking?

• Epic start but he really looked uncomfortable. I bet the elites were not too worried about him staying there. 

• I loved the Samir thread and the Reading Half video was the highlight of my year!!!  Many a days I caught myself chuckling along at my desk when I should have been quietly working.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The front runners were probably averaging sub 5min miling, so he must have been at almost flat out pace to hold that big a lead over them, especially as his gait was affected by a niggle that week.. Not surprised he suffered one of the biggest meltdowns ever after. Did pretty well to finish I think.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the young lad needs to join a club or be guided by a well meaning and experienced runner on the forum. It would be good to see how good he cold be. Sub 15 5k would get him noticed.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a lift to Silverstone?

The "Warnings" day was the best of my forum life.  I have some links I'll post.

Towpath was brilliantly funny.

The day we invaded the Basket Weaving forum was class.  Sadly I think it's closed down now.

And this was probably the day that I realised how funny the forum could be: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/is-there-a-mathematician-in-the-house/16339-2.html

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

=

• VDOT52 wrote (see)
    Sounds like the young lad needs to join a club or be guided by a well meaning and experienced runner on the forum. It would be good to see how good he cold be. Sub 15 5k would get him noticed.

That was the problem. Everybody told him, repeatedly, to join a running club and get some proper coaching, especially since he kept getting injured. He was convinced he didn't need any of that.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

That was the one I meant to link to, Cougie.  The other one isn't nearly as funny. image