Wearing headphones in races

13»

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    In a recent race I was running behind a runner whose phone was giving a constant update of the runners pace, mile splits etc. The volume was quite loud and certainly disconcerting and distracting. To me, this seems worse than headphones. A bit like drivers using hand held mobile phones. I never use headphones myself.
    Yes, that's annoying, but not dangerous to the same level as not hearing a car coming or tripping another runner.  From an organisers' risk assessment perspective, hearing someone's pace and distance alerts is only likely to cause an incident if another runner decks them for irritating them, which is probably not on a par with driving using a handheld phone  ;)

• Magna Carter - when the road may be congested you would merely check to the side of you to ensure there is nobody coming up behind you. as previously stated it is down to manners and awareness. hope this helps.

Shades - as stated I run marathons and I remain aware.

• My view is that I've no objection to people wearing headphones when they are allowed in the rules, as they're not normally in my way anyway. However, when they're specifically forbidden by the rules, and people are wearing them anyway, those people are twats.
  • sorry for jumping into an old thread, but wanted to add a bit of personal experience.

I am a guide for my blind friend, and have pretty much stopped running solo - all of my training and racing is done as a guide. We're not the fastest, but improving (sub 4 marathons, 1:40 half), but at that speed, we encounter endless streams of headphone runners in races.

Guiding is all about overtaking. We need double the space, and have to carve a much smoother path to be able to overtake a runner. It's usually not a big deal at club races with smaller fields, but at big city races, it's becoming a real problem.

I can usually make a runner ahead aware that we are trying to overtake verbally, and it's fine, but headphones have become a serious problem. This weekend at the sheffield half, we had a collision that could have injured all three of us, thanks to a runner being oblivious to us, and cutting left just as we tried to pass - legs everywhere.

We constantly get asked to wear high vis warning clothes to make sure runners around us are aware - but frankly we have less sensory disadvantage than a runner who closes themselves off to the race.

yes we are a tiny minority, and most races probably don't have a guided runner in the field, but it's so bloody frustrating to spend time building and training towards a target race, only to have incidents totaly out of our control balls the whole thing off, so someone can listen to their tunes.

so i'd prefer it to be a rule at most races, but i accept that's not going to happen. so if you are a 'phones runner, can you at least keep the volume down and have your wits about you? it's not just nanny state, you can genuinely completely ruin someones race, or whole season in a moment.
  • That's a really good point.  I can't imagine how tricky it must be for your runners running that pace (which is impressive enough by itself) let alone having to cope with headphone runners oblivious to your presence. 
  • yep, exactly my point.... also, as another example, my cycling club provides a path maker service every year to wheelchair racers at my local half, cycling a few metres in front of the athletes to clear a route.... and its a bloody nightmare.... for those racers not at the sharp end, its a constant round of having to yell loudly at headphone users to attract their attention, have other runners, tap them (often several times to break them out of their daydreams) or drag them out of the way, as well as having to swerve dangerously to avoid them sidestepping unexpectedly... it is pretty unpleasant.
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Eminently sensible! It is not a good idea to cycle with headphones either. Nor, for that matter, to drive while using a mobile. One of the joys of running is being fully aware of life around you. Enjoy it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Magna - that must be a nightmare when leading a wheelchair racer through, I can imagine that you'd have to shout very loudly at the idiots with their headphones.   What you need is an electrified cattle prod.   :D
    I've seen a runner with headphones oblivious to an ambulance on a blue light with siren going full blast.

At a recent half marathon that I ran, headphones were banned.   It was a great race atmosphere and going up some tough hills we all had a great banter with other runners and marshals.   Out of 400 odd runners only 4 dickheads turned up wearing headphones, all 4 were disqualified and publicly done so, stating so in the results.  The end of the race was a lap and a bit of an athletic track, one girl wearing headphones came onto the track, she couldn't hear the marshal telling her to run on the outside of the track so she ran on the inside and cut to the finish line.   At the finish line the UKA adjudicator made her run the full lap to complete the correct distance and when she crossed the finish line she was then disqualified for wearing headphones.   I think the race did well that only 1% of the runners disobeyed the rules. 
  • Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    Moke said:
    sorry for jumping into an old thread, but wanted to add a bit of personal experience.

I am a guide for my blind friend, and have pretty much stopped running solo - all of my training and racing is done as a guide. We're not the fastest, but improving (sub 4 marathons, 1:40 half), but at that speed, we encounter endless streams of headphone runners in races.

Guiding is all about overtaking. We need double the space, and have to carve a much smoother path to be able to overtake a runner. It's usually not a big deal at club races with smaller fields, but at big city races, it's becoming a real problem.

I can usually make a runner ahead aware that we are trying to overtake verbally, and it's fine, but headphones have become a serious problem. This weekend at the sheffield half, we had a collision that could have injured all three of us, thanks to a runner being oblivious to us, and cutting left just as we tried to pass - legs everywhere.

We constantly get asked to wear high vis warning clothes to make sure runners around us are aware - but frankly we have less sensory disadvantage than a runner who closes themselves off to the race.

yes we are a tiny minority, and most races probably don't have a guided runner in the field, but it's so bloody frustrating to spend time building and training towards a target race, only to have incidents totaly out of our control balls the whole thing off, so someone can listen to their tunes.

so i'd prefer it to be a rule at most races, but i accept that's not going to happen. so if you are a 'phones runner, can you at least keep the volume down and have your wits about you? it's not just nanny state, you can genuinely completely ruin someones race, or whole season in a moment.

I totally agree headphone users should keep the volume down and also ensure that they are fully aware of what is occurring around them.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Pete Holt said:
    Moke said:
    sorry for jumping into an old thread, but wanted to add a bit of personal experience.

I totally agree headphone users should keep the volume down and also ensure that they are fully aware of what is occurring around them.

How do you check the volume level
    of headphones?

i was nearly taken out/nearly took out  someone last week who cut across me. Luckily I managed to grab her arm and hold her up. She had no idea I was there. That was on a Parkrun where headphones are allowed. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A fresh thread on headphones.

Just what this forum needs

• Stevie G 
    well it was a fresh thread in April ...........................2016 !!!

I appreciate you may be a slow reader  :)

One of the problems is that races are tending to have larger fields and that running without consideration for other competitors can lead to problems - so it's nice to have somewhere like this to let off steam when the occasion demands it.
  • Chris2304Chris2304 ✭✭✭
    People who drop bottles/cups in the middle of the road (rather than to one side), for runners behind to twist an ankle on - they deserve a similar thread too!
  • Snipers. It's the only way !
  • If a race has a RunBritain licence, it is run under UKA rules and applies to all participants. I'm not sure what the argument is.
    RULE 240 S 5 UKA SUPPLEMENT – HEADPHONES

The wearing of headphones, or similar devices, (other than those medically
    prescribed), is not permitted in races on any single carriageway road that is not
    wholly closed to traffic. This restriction does not apply to races held on dual
    carriageways provided that there are clear, structured separations between the
    separate carriageways. Competition Providers of races held entirely on roads
    closed to traffic may apply this condition where appropriate to local circumstances.
  • Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    If a race has a RunBritain licence, it is run under UKA rules and applies to all participants. I'm not sure what the argument is.
    RULE 240 S 5 UKA SUPPLEMENT – HEADPHONES

The wearing of headphones, or similar devices, (other than those medically
    prescribed), is not permitted in races on any single carriageway road that is not
    wholly closed to traffic. This restriction does not apply to races held on dual
    carriageways provided that there are clear, structured separations between the
    separate carriageways. Competition Providers of races held entirely on roads
    closed to traffic may apply this condition where appropriate to local circumstances.
    the argument is because there are exceptions (there is no blanket ban)!!
  • Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Tim R2-T2 said:
    Pete Holt said:
    Moke said:

How do you check the volume level
    of headphones?

i was nearly taken out/nearly took out  someone last week who cut across me. Luckily I managed to grab her arm and hold her up. She had no idea I was there. That was on a Parkrun where headphones are allowed. 

how do you check the volume level - not sure what you mean tbh. it is the user's responsibility to ensure that he/she can hear their surroundings.

Parkrun is a community event that incudes children, dog walkers, non participants commuting in the opposite direction, and is not a race. 

Therefore, you have to accept that it is not race conditions and act accordingly. nevertheless, your experience is merely an example of a person acting irresponsibly by not paying attention to their surroundings.

• The exceptions are as I stated and wearing of bone conducting earphones and when not run under UKA rules.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    The exceptions are as I stated and wearing of bone conducting earphones and when not run under UKA rules.

A race director can also ban headphones if they think they are a potential hazard.

Dirk - the original argument is that many headphone wearers don't think they should be banned, they can't understand why they can't wear them!
  • I run with mine in constantly..it keeps my pace up and I use run apps to tell me distance etc .. I can't see why they should be banned from runs, I use responsibly at a low enough level to hear traffic etc as I always run on the roads .. yet again the majority has to suffer for the minorities .. I'll simply not do the runs that don't allow them at all in future.
    The cost of these runs is now ridiculously high in most places , then they want to stop us having fun..
  • Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The exceptions are as I stated and wearing of bone conducting earphones and when not run under UKA rules.

lol. perhaps you should read the rules again. as there is not a blanket ban for normal headphones where UKA rules apply. 
  • I think Dirk's clear on that point Pete - he keeps saying there's a ban with exceptions (e.g. headphones are only banned "in races on any single carriageway road that is not wholly closed to traffic", and you keep saying there's no blanket ban.  Aren't you two saying the same thing?
  • Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
       Cheerful Dave said:
    I think Dirk's clear on that point Pete - he keeps saying there's a ban with exceptions (e.g. headphones are only banned "in races on any single carriageway road that is not wholly closed to traffic", and you keep saying there's no blanket ban.  Aren't you two saying the same thing?

my bad, sorry Dirk :#
  • jyogit said:
    I run with mine in constantly..it keeps my pace up and I use run apps to tell me distance etc .. I can't see why they should be banned from runs, I use responsibly at a low enough level to hear traffic etc as I always run on the roads .. yet again the majority has to suffer for the minorities .. I'll simply not do the runs that don't allow them at all in future.
    The cost of these runs is now ridiculously high in most places , then they want to stop us having fun..

Sounds like you are just doing big events if the cost is worrying you. And I wouldn't say you are in the majority to be honest - you might be surprised to hear that at one time no one ran with music! God knows how they ever coped.
  • Music is a safety blanket. You don't need it.  If your batteries die - you don't stop running do you.

Wean yourself off with a parkrun without it.  Simples.
  • There are unique snowflakes in this world that will make lots of noise over small trivial issues. It must be a breach of their human rights or it is discriminatory or it is undemocratic. If you feel passionate about this issue of not being allowed to wear headphones in a race, make an online petition on Facebook and make some noise. 
  • After having to grab a runner cos she didn't hear an ambulance coming past I don't mind this rule at all.  Our running club are banning headphones at our 10k this year and marshals have been advise to DQ runners seen wearing them
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jo - I agree with you 100%.   Allowing headphones is an accident waiting to happen and will damage the future of our sport and jeopardise road races too.
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    I had a similar experience Jo. Someone wearing headphones oblivious to the ambulance behind them. Whole race was on closed roads, but doesn't mean emergency services don't need to use them.