My name is ???????? and i am gonna seriously get my sh!t in one sock - Part 2

Comments

• Well my name is Crooky 

and I probably have a bigger list than most that needs sorting, but my main 3 are lose weight, try to get stronger on the bike ( my hill climbing is terrible) and the third try to learn front crawl and not have such a shit swim time 

• IronLung - it would not be a pretty sight without a wetsuit image

• Molly if you've not used clipless outside I'd not bother in a race situation.

I'd go with trainers on the bike and then you save on a change of shoes.

Races are stressful enough without new challenges.
  • But you'll die riding a bike wearing trainers....

End of random IMJ reference. In all seriousness I'd agree, stick with what you know. Save clippers for races after you've spent plenty of time on the road with them
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Yay Meldy image

Ditto what the others said about clipless Molly.  (although it could be your something new on race day)

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

The deadlifting yesterday has left some interesting DOMS today.  I can't change gear easily so learned to drive using just 2nd and 4th gears only image

I'm off to check out a secret open water training venue tonight.  If it works it'll be amazing!

• I'm Podds and I need more than one sock I fear

Last year's failure at IM Austria knocked me for 6 in a way I still just can't believe and isn't really like me - just came at the wrong time of my life I guess along with a few other things

So out of retirement for 1 final IM

Swim should be ok (slow but not troubling cut offs); bike I've done a couple of centuries recently but am still too slow currently but it's work in progress........then the big problems start so my targets are

1. weight loss, this last year has seen me balloon to fattest ever from not exactly slim last summer - overall need to lose around 4 stone but prior to my target race (approx 12 weeks time) 2 1/2 stone needs to disappear

2. set a structured run programme which my completely knackered knee will tolerate and more to the point stick to it - which having failed twice this week to get out of bed for a measly 2 miles will be the problem....

• Sometimes these things can affect us more than we anticipate Podds.  Good to see you're having another crack at it though.  Which race, Mallorca?

• well I've done two short runs in the last two days, and tonight I'm off on my own for a week of cycling up and down hot Majorcan hills in practice for the big one in September. I have a new 'skin cooler' jersey to match my arm coolers, and I hope they will make a difference in the heat.

DaylightR - I know you're just down the road from me, maybe we could meet up for some med-long rides over the next few months, to try and encourage me to go faster ?

• Last year I did IM Austria in trainers, I swore I'd never do that again ...I'm so annoyed with myself 

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Molly - can you get out and just practice clipping in and out cycling around the block somewhere before the race? 

• Happychap - I'm going to man up and have a go tomorrow morning, it's now or never

• Molly, what have you been doing for your outdoor bike training this year so far, or has it all been indoors? 

I'd echo what HC says - definitely get out and try it before the race.  There's enough to think about on the day without being worried about being clipped in.  Go round the block, try stopping/starting/cornering/hills etc.  Everything you expect to do on the day, try on a short ride, then there will be no surprises.  In fact you might find it's much better being clipped in, esp. on the hill climbs (that would be the hope!) image

• Lee the Pea - most of it on the turbo (even 5hr rides!) clipped in...the outdoor rides with trainers on as I was very good at thinking "next time I'll try my cleats". Venice is completely flat image

• Oh yeah, good point! Hahaha.  Well if you can get out and just practice clipping in and out quickly/at lights etc. then you should be fine.  Be a shame to have done all the training indoors clipped in then not be able to fully translate that to the bike on the day if you're using trainers.

• THanks Lee

I'm aiming for Vichy and flying solo......but coming to Mallorca to support 

At least this is the current plan!!  Originally was going to do Mallorca but I think the bike will be not to my liking / strengths!! image

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

The bike in Mallorca isn't as bad as other island IMs image.  I'm led to believe the first half of the bike course is relatively flat*

* it better be or I'm in trouble

• DaylightRDaylightR ✭✭✭
    iron fraggle wrote (see)

DaylightR - I know you're just down the road from me, maybe we could meet up for some med-long rides over the next few months, to try and encourage me to go faster ?

You have a PM. image

• DaylightRDaylightR ✭✭✭
    Happychap wrote (see)

The bike in Mallorca isn't as bad as other island IMs image.  I'm led to believe the first half of the bike course is relatively flat*

...and the second half only has one hill on it too...

..just don't ask how long it goes on for.image

• It cant be any worse than Nice or Lanza for the 'has this effing hill finished yet?'

fraggle, you hit on a good point for getting out with those quicker than yourself for making you quick ... even if you only manage to hang on for an hour its got to be better than just tootling out at your own speed and thinking that you are quicker.

I have never been that quick on the bike but neither do I feel I have improved that much over the years,  Outlaw would be my quickest IM bike and I have not gone under 7 hours.  I need to put in more quality mid week sessions to sharpen up

I need to do more Strength & Conditioning, notable as I get older it takes more effort.

Continue with the running club, they have made a positive difference with my running and I had a huge pb at 1/2 marathon in March

I need to rediscover my swim speed, having had a few back issues this year (probably due to one of the above) I have lost a lot of speed and need to find that back

All of the above should then help to lose the weight that has crept on in the last year or so, I am not daft enough to ignore the fact that this also could be age related ... but I am not ready to accept it .... yet  image 

• DaylightR wrote (see)
    Happychap wrote (see)

...and the second half only has one hill on it too...

..just don't ask how long it goes on for.image

Yeah........that one hill is not pleasing to me.......

HGV Wide Loads are decidedly NOT good at going uphill and there is only so much time you can recoup if you're having to walk up a hill..........and yes I do have to regularly image

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

thanks for starting this up HC
    I still need to lose the same 2 stone that I needed to lose on the original thread

and I need to get back to running club to make myself run continuously without the walk breaks I have got used to!

• Molly...I wouldn't worry about uncoupling....during Ironman races I rarely have to unclipped more than once as the traffic is managed

• 5 hour turbo sessions Molly? Ay Caramba. In God's name why?

I think 2 hours is the longest I've ever managed.
  • 'uncoupling'  I am not entirely sure what you get up to in your races Seren ...

• M...eldy wrote (see)

'uncoupling'  I am not entirely sure what you get up to in your races Seren ...

• DPSDaveDPSDave ✭✭

My name is DPSDAVE and I need to

1) lose weight so that I can be faster on the bike

and

2) actually spend some time out on the bike as I've mainly been on the spin bike this year.

As usaul it always begins tomorrow, and as tomorrow never comes..it's time to get my shit in order image

• Afternoon all, I'm posting in here to say that my plan for this week is to actually construct a bloody goal plan for the next 12-18 months.  I've been threatening to do it for ages, so I figure it might actually be helpful to get my finger out and come up with something.  You have permission to kick my ever-growing ass if I haven't posted it here by the end of the week.....

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Along with the Lanza supporters race report Lee image