Lausanne Marathon

Yesterday was a lovely warm sunny autumn day in Lausanne. The mountains on the other side of the lake were covered in a fresh layer of snow. The conditions were perfect for a marathon.

The marathon course is an out and back course that follows the northern shore of Lake Geneva. The road is sandwiched between the lake shore, the railway line and the vineyard of this part of Switzerland. The scenery was stunning as the vines were displaying their golden autumn colours.

Having me an old running friend before the start we decided to pace each other to half way and see how we were fairing. Perhaps not the best strategy but a comfortable out run saw me placed 486th at the half in a time of 1:37:37.

The return run I must say was not as comfortable and with 5 miles to go my legs had all but given out. I what should have been a very sure 3:45 marathon was becoming a fight to make 4hrs.

I was not sure if my legs would hold out the the finish, however with friends popping up here and there and giving me all the encouragement they could I kept digging in harder and harder. Eventually the long finish straight appeared and the clock stopped at 3:59:08.1.

You all missed a suberbly organised event. As well as bottled water every 5km there was fruit, isostar, and sponges. The organisers also put on a half marthon, starting at the mid point of the marthon, so all the runners were trained to their start; a Quarter marathon; a kids 4km; a run for fun 5km; inline skate half marathon, and a wheelchair half.

This was the 10th running of this event, definately one for the future. I am sure the Lamb will put a report on for the half marathon.

Comments