Outlaw 2017

Comments

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    M...eldy said:
    Memphis .. 2 every half hour is far too many,  that'll land you in all sorts of portaloos on the run course,  for a r/walk of 5.30/6.00 then you'll find all you can eat or need on the course
    4 an hour jesus 
  • edited June 2017
    and to add to Meldy's point.... even if your stomach can handle it, your system can't absorb that much carb in that timeframe, so, with apologies for the lack of delicate wording, you'll just poop it out anyway!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • shotgun them 2 at a time every half hour
    2 every half an hour is far to many, if you seriously need that amount of carbs / sugars going into your system then something is wrong, even the gel companies say no more than 3 an hour
    Personally I struggle to get through 2 in an hour but take on anything else I can water,crisps, coke, jaffa cakes etc

• Personally I struggle to get through 2 in an hour but take on anything else I can water,crisps, coke, jaffa cakes etc

Pretty much the same as your drinking then? ;)
  • Thanks. You're right, of course. Did a pre outlaw half yesterday to properly nail nutrition, pacing. Made a note of how many gels I took, how many I came back with. Returned with 75% unused. Still got dreaded cramp (half bike course had about 1000m ascent) but gave a go to "hot shot", some kind of snake oil stuff from USA that I Liked the look of( I cramp a lot) and it worked for me. Kind of. Did make me retch in transition which was novel(the effect is like chugging whisky and chilli together). Still died on the run but l am a crap runner. Although I was never THIS bad and I'm absolutely convinced that it's because my current socks are crushing my feet!...Anyway, officially under 4 weeks. Still time to sort all of these teething probs. And work out how my wife and I are going to placate 3 small children whilst camping amongst serious athletes for 2 nights in July...Yay.
  • Rafiki said:

Personally I struggle to get through 2 in an hour but take on anything else I can water,crisps, coke, jaffa cakes etc

Pretty much the same as your drinking then? ;)
    I think you will find that my drinking is much better since I stopped all this exercise lark

• Memphis if you camp among the serious athletes you may be in the wrong section! :)
  • Last year I trained with all the stuff on the feed stations and added my favourite savouries for the bike section.  All went fine.  Come race day, I ate 1/2 mini pork pie which gave me stomach cramps, drank the energy drink in my water bottle and survived on 2 halves of bananas given at the feed stations.  Onto the run and I knew I had to get some energy into me so took on a gel after a lap around the lake and that gave me stomach cramps as well, so I literally completed the whole lot on a bowl of porridge for breakfast, 1/2 mini pork pie, 2 halves banana, 1 gel but the thing that saved my life - sucking on those lovely fresh oranges.
    Unfortunately this year not even sure I'm going to get to the start line.  Picked up a seriously bad back injury 3 weeks ago, just when I was starting the final part of my training.  Feeling loads better but nowhere near 100%.
  • Sorry to hear that, RTN. Any chance you've banked enough already and can cope with the enforced rest? We are 2 days from starting taper according to some opinions...(although my f@&ked foot means I haven't properly run long in...erm...4 weeks so I'm icing it like crazy and hoping for a big one mid week or even next weekend if it has to be)... I totally understand the agony of the late injury as I'm hovering between denial and despair myself, and I've only got some sort of metatarsalgia...and you can't to my knowledge, ice an entire back...Sincerely, best of luck.
  • Thanks Memphis.  Only yesterday am I almost pain free so I'll see how the next week goes.  Not giving up just yet and was doing quite well prior to the injury.  I've done my taper now, so hopefully I can ramp it up very carefully leading up to Outlaw, and taper 3 days prior.  Nothing like a challenge!
    Careful with your foot too and hope that comes good between now and race day.  Bad timing for both of us.
  • Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭
    Paperman said:
    Hi Memphis and others - if it helps, I kept a copy of last year's race notes - obviously, things may change but it might be a useful browse. You can download them at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ZA5nZSS3mNbHpFMlZseGRaNlk

Thanks for that. 3 weeks away and I'm completely clueless as to what happens on the day!
  • Thank you for that Paperman. Really useful. It's reassured me immensely....and glued me to the toilet....
  • I got on my road bike yesterday for the first time in a year and managed 46 miles....is it time to taper   :)

• are you sure you are not over trained 
  • Can anyone who did the outlaw last year please let me know if the high 5 energy gels on the run were the iso gels (blue packaging which don't require any water) or the normal gels (yellow packets which do require water)? I have done all my training with the iso gels and just assumed they would be there but it looks like it was the normal gels from last years race booklet. It will be a bit of a hassle if i have to carry all of my gels with me.
  • Hi James
    If my memory is good the feed stations on the run have a big box of gels with all sorts of different Hi5 Gels including the iso ones
  • PapermanPaperman ✭✭✭
    They had both last year, although you may need to shout clearly to get the ones you want if you are doing a fly past on the bike. I was certainly given both during the course of the day. As far as I remember, the run stations have both and that's a bit easier to grab.
  • Thanks for the info. I only need the iso ones for the run not the bike. For some reason I get a stitch is I use the normal ones whilst running but they are fine for the bike. I've practiced my nutrition a lot for this race so its good to know that they have both gels and that I won't have to carry too many with me.
  • Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Memphis stop icing it, it only slows recovery. 

Anyone know when we will get race numbers? Sure the half ones were out before this.
  • dont you get your race numbers there the day before when you sign in

• That's right Seren, you get your race numbers at registration the day before.
  • I think Simo means when will they be on the OSB website. And the answer is................ probably by the end of week when I spoke to them at the Holkham Half last week.

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    I think Simo means when will they be on the OSB website. And the answer is................ probably by the end of week when I spoke to them at the Holkham Half last week.

Cheers that is what I meant
  • Bugger,, im doing outlaw. My first full distance. Three weeks to go and ive pulled my back, maybe slip disc. Went for a swim friday and I think the wetsuite held everything together. 2 hour swin with no issues. Ill give it a couple more days and give the turbo trainer a go. Running is not happening as walking is painful. Should I do what I can or nothing for the next two weeks. Gutted
  • Rest, you can't get any fitter and you won't really lose any fitness and it might give your back time to sort itself out, that said if it is a slipped disc, all the rest in the world won't help sort. 
  • Bugger,, im doing outlaw. My first full distance. Three weeks to go and ive pulled my back, maybe slip disc. Went for a swim friday and I think the wetsuite held everything together. 2 hour swin with no issues. Ill give it a couple more days and give the turbo trainer a go. Running is not happening as walking is painful. Should I do what I can or nothing for the next two weeks. Gutted
    You have my sympathy.  I wrecked my back about 4 weeks ago.  Lots of physio and rest has done wonders.  The only relief I had was when I was in the pool, so maybe just stick to swimming, but rest and get some treatment asap.  I did not have a slipped disc though, so probably no help at all.  Fingers crossed you come right before race day.
  • Thanks, got some strong pain killers so will rest for the week then light exercise up tp the day. Rather be a DNF than DNS!!! See you on the start line .
  • Race numbers should be out tonight.
  • definitely go for the chance at a dnf. REST
  • I'm guessing I'll be 942