Parkrun Enniskillen gets 'Pay to Stay' Ultimatum fromThe National Trust

13»

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

standard admission to the grounds for a walker is £3, but runners should expect it for free. Is that correct?

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/castle-coole

• You've obviously can't be bothered to look at the issues, conflicting messages. I won't grace you with a reply.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

On the contrary, I have read all the issues, and as the recent Thorneythwaite purchase suggests, NT actions are somewhat questionable.
    Yet the point remains is that day visitors to the site pay a grounds admission, whereas runners do not.
    Arguably there should be a consistent policy.

• Does it mean my NT membership subs go on repairing the damage caused by people using the park for free ? So I'm funding your Saturday morning jog ? 

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    There is no damage, that's the point. Also there is so many rights of way for locals over the land that there is actually no legal way to enforce any 'charge' upon them. We could all run around it on a Saturday for free if we like- but parkrun is not allowed to use it for an organised run. It is pretty daft really.
  • Dave, there is no damage. The initial statement was parkrun = 'Conservational' Damage.' 

Then, Parkrun = 'Potential conservational Damage.' 

Then leaked NT letter states pleased with the management of Parkrun but disappointed that not enough participants joined the NT so they wanted to leavey a charge. 

It's as simple as that.

• Bit my point still remains, I pay a subscription every year to the NT, For them to conserve and protect our heritage for the future,

And as you use that land, why shouldn't you also contribute ? or are you happy for me to fund your run every Saturday.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

My apologies that I don't know the area.
    If, as VDOT says, using it as a right of way carries no charge, how can they enforce a charge on day visitors to the grounds? Surely they just say they are using it as a right of way?
    Fees for some, but not others isn't very joined up.

• Not too sure about 'rights of way' access. I've not seen any written evidence that the public can use the paths. I heard that when Lord Belmore gave the land to the NT, (something to do with avoiding inheritance tax), he stipulated that the public must have access.

We in Northern Ireland don't have the same rights of way laws like they do in England. There's a lot of land here but very little access to it. In NI farmer is King. In our town we don' have a Park.

In answer to your question, I would love our parkrun to challenge the fees aspect. However, The run would not be endorsed by Parkrun UK. Also, if there is 'Rights of Way access' I'm guessing that it would not include 'organised events' which is what parkrun is.

Their is quite a bit of political support gathering from local politicians. It has cross community support, which in NI is a big thing. People here are obsessed with Flags So for them to come together on this one is quite a powerful message.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I believe belmore sold it to the land trust of N.I to pay the inheritance taxes with the proceeds which pretty much amounts to the same as what you say.

As far as the right of way, I have heard it was put into the title deeds so while it may not be a traditional 'right of way' it may be a more locally enforceable way of granting access. That said I have not seen the title deed so can not confirm if there is such a covenant wording nor if there is whether or not it is actually legally Binding.

I hope that the political will is there to make a big enough fuss about this because the underhand way it has been dealt with by the manager of NT is appalling. Had there been a clear statement of intention to charge then it would have got the media coverage it warranted.
  • Dave, I get your point about paying to use the NT land, however if it's a NT decision to charge then shouldn't that be rolled out to all sites? Why charge one group of parkrunners and not others.

I've no doubts parkrun can increase maintenance costs, slightly, however id like to think that the benefit outweighs the cost. Ultimately the land owner has a choice whether to permit parkrun, I just don't understand why organisations such as the NT aren't all over parkrun to get them into their parks. Bringing in hundreds of people to see their park (and probably spend money) when they may otherwise not have done.
  • Regarding what the local NT treats Parkrunners reminded me of What Wellington once said,

"Railways would encourage the lower classes to move about."
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

CmC - won't that depend if the grounds are free or not?
    If there is no charge to visit NT grounds then they couldn't charge runners.
    Castle Coole have a fee for grounds only visitors.
    Also would park runners spend money? Most events are before the NT open up (so arguably a missed opportunity).

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    In Northern Ireland (and I think in Scotland) the runs start around 9:30. Castle Coole cafe opens at 10 so just about in time. I used it once but decided against going in since then due to parkrun being evicted.

Both local papers are ruining the expos?? about the truth behind the eviction today so hopefully there will be a response from NT UK instead of the local branch who have been 'spinning' the story's thus far.
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

I occasionally run at a park run up in Yorkshire which is partly run across a small stately home's grounds.  They charge for visitors after 10 am I believe.  What they have done is open the cafe though early from around 9:30 for runners where they do a subsidised coffee for £1 from a vacuum pot or you can buy a fresh made latte etc at regular price plus cake or whatever.  I think they are happy that the little bit of money they get from the earlier opening of the coffee covers any admission costs.  Win win at the moment.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a well thought out deal.
  • I believe the cafe at Castlecoole is franchised out, but I could wrong about on that.

It's a beautiful cafe and tastfully set out. Without meaning to moan, a lot of us were put off because the service at times was quite slow and sometimes did not open. I remember on one occasion there was a young girl working on her own. She did a sterling job but because of the time to make your cappacino, mocha etc it was not worth waiting.

Clueless and a missed opportunity. Another thing that Castle Coole misses out on to raise funds is the complete lack of events. I can recall two, possibly three events that happen a year such as Father Xmas and Easter egg hunt. That's about it. The house is open regularly. I read other NT sites open their grounds for a multitude of events. Enniskillen it quite s tourist trap and they're missing a big trick, particularly as Mr Chestnutts states that the place runs at a ??100,000 deficits.

He does welcome dog walkers, though.
  • Not too sure about 'rights of way' access. I've not seen any written evidence that the public can use the paths. I heard that when Lord Belmore gave the land to the NT, (something to do with avoiding inheritance tax), he stipulated that the public must have access.

We in Northern Ireland don't have the same rights of way laws like they do in England. There's a lot of land here but very little access to it. In NI farmer is King. In our town we don' have a Park.

In answer to your question, I would love our parkrun to challenge the fees aspect. However, The run would not be endorsed by Parkrun UK. Also, if there is 'Rights of Way access' I'm guessing that it would not include 'organised events' which is what parkrun is.

Their is quite a bit of political support gathering from local politicians. It has cross community support, which in NI is a big thing. People here are obsessed with Flags So for them to come together on this one is quite a powerful message.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Odd double post there hj
  • Sorry mate. I think a edited the wrong post instead of my last post.
  • I didn't think you meant itimage

Probably see you at the forum on Saturday. I'll be volunteering in a 50 tshirt. Say hello if are there.
  • It seems to be sacrificing the run to avoid a bigger battle, which makes no sense in the long term.