London Marathon Charity places

I have been given a charity place in next year’s London Marathon and have already started to fun raise.

The question I’m asking myself is  what if I don't reach the fundraising target (which is £2,000).

They can’t physically force you to make up the difference out of your own pocket, can they?

Comments

• we have done this question many times.you have agreed to raise the money.....it is a contract.and morally you should be willing to put in the difference from your own pocket to make up any shortfall.

The charity is working on the fact you are honest and will stick to the contract and so will allocate that money to services needed,.........so if you do not raise it all then those who are helped by the charity will have to miss out because of your actions....

They would probably not go to court to get the money from you as it is bad publicity to them...

So if you do not think you can raise the money or are not willing to make up any shortfalls then do not take the place and leave it to someone who can raise the money....

there are other races you can run without having to raise a target for charity

• What seren said. The charity may not be able to force you to make up the difference but I'd hope that your conscience would.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Agree with both above. Seems bad form to take the place if you don't think you can raise the money. It's only right (morally) to make up any shortfall.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

You refer to the charity as "they", are you interested in the work "they" do, or have you just signed up to the first charity that's offered you a place?

If you care, you will be able to inspire people to support you and the charity, but these days lets be honest many people are bored and even resentful of being asked for money so their acquaintance can get the experience of running at London.

But to answer the question, "they" can't make you at all, but you have to live with yourself if you can't meet the target.

I've run twice on a golden bond place, for the same local charity, and both times the target was £1500.  Several runners didn't reach it, but the fundraiser took the view that of their ten places, if they raised 15k they weren't going to complain.

Personally, I have a special contempt for people who take places and don't do their utmost to raise the money, whether or not they hit the actual target.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    It seems to me there are two sort of runners who use charity places

Those who want to raise money for their chosen charity and use the Lm as a good vehicle to maximise their efforts

and those who want to run "the London" and use a charity place to do so.

If you use this method then there is a moral, if not legal, obligation to raise at least as much as the charity stipulates. They have paid for the entry and expect anyone to whom they allocate a place to honour the conditions.

Which type of runner are you Raabossi?
  • That's the nail on the head for me there, Mr P. Some people will do lots to raise the money but still fall short, personally I don't think there's a problem with that.  Others happen to have a large social circle and get there just by setting up a justgiving page and posting about it on FB.  Unfortunately there are some who take a place and don't bother raising much at all, that's what the charities want to avoid.

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

If they force you to pay then the Charity is "selling" a London Marathon place and would be thus subject to VAT on the amount they "asked" you to raise.

They thus are very unlikely to enforce you paying up the shortfall as if they make you pay then Revenue and Customs would be after a shed load of unpaid VAT for up to the last 7 years of receipts taken by the Charity on VLM places.

The charities know this.

• You've got 8 months yet to do your fund raising..... I hope you have a bit more dedication to training 

• I do wonder why when people agree an amount with a charity they do not feel obliged to make up the shortfall.

If you had a tiler in to tile your house and agreed a price....after they have done the job to specification......do you then say.I have only manged to find half the amount promised in my bank account...Sorry...I thought I could have saved more than i did...

• The OP hasn't even got the dedication to come back and read the replies.image