Options

IM Hamburg 2017 Pirate Champs

Comments

• Options

With the rolling starts and cut offs it really seems to vary from race to race and MC.

Even if you pass the line over allocated time, medals and finisher t-shirts are still given. Same applies if you are DQ'd on course still get a time, media & T.

It seems to be mopped up afterwards in official results with DQ or DNF against your name.

Penny was 5 mins over the 16 hours in Mallorca and got flowers, champagne & fireworks and T-shirt on the night as last finisher. Then her medal from race director next morning at awards ceremony.

• Options

Watched the last one over the line in Wales and he was milking the red carpet, but everyone else was shouting 'get a move on you silly bugger' as we never knew when he started the swim. He made it as 16:57:09 on the clock and all hell broke loose when we knew he'd made it.

• Options
    I'm in! See you in Hamburg!!!
  • Options

Sod it - credit card juggling done

I'm in for the PSOF 2017 champs image

Hotel booked, now flights & bike to be sorted

• Options

Racing 

ATOM 
    Iron Swiss Bobby
    Hollywood
    Red Stripe
    Wabby

• Options
    Is anyone a fan of the rolling start thing? With the mass start everyone knows where they are in terms of must be finished by 2300/0000. The swim start is part of the experience isn't it?

Never done a wave start IM but what are the advantages ?
  • Options

hate the rolling start........they say its safer for the swim..but also less frantic in transition and the first part of the swim but it bores me to do and to watch

• Options

I've now done: Mass, Waves, and rolling.

I liked the rolling start. you get a cleaner swim 

• Options
    WildWill wrote (see)

I've now done: Mass, Waves, and rolling.

I liked the rolling start. you get a cleaner swim 

I prefer rolling as well! Was swum over twice & had goggles knocked off with waves in Austria, Mass in France & Outlaw were pretty full on!

• Options

I used to play water polo, so am not afraid of the odd bit of biff (roughest sport I've played other than rugby). It's just that in an IM event, the last thing I want is an hour of kicking and punching as people swim over, round, under, and on top of me.

I can appreciate that it's no where near as dramatic or exciting, and has the downside of complicating the finish / chip times - but prior to a 15hr event, I'll take the boring, but relatively hassle free rolling start thanks!

• Options

Rolling at Weymouth was a bit of a joke, because so many people struggled to get down the pebbly beach, by the time the 1h20- 1h30 self seeded people got in the water, the quickest swimmers were starting their second lap so we got swum over all the way to the first and second buoys anyway.

• Options

In general, I do think a rolling start is much better, and there is enough evidence (I'm looking sternly at you here, Seren) that it is also safer. The number of people who drown at triathlons is small, so the degree to which something has to be made safer is also quite small, but I think sacrificing the spectacle of a mass start to save 1 or 2 lives a year is justified.

I agree with Symes' comments above regarding Weymouth, but this was actually more of a consequence of having both a full distance, and 70.3 event running concurrently, rather than a negative aspect of the rolling start in itself. If there was no second lap (as will be the case next year, with no full distance race), it's not an issue.

I've done both rolling starts and wave starts as well as mass starts. It does make it more difficult to know where you are in the overall race or your age group, but that, by definition, only affects the top 10% of competitors across each age group. By far the vast majority of entrants to an IM are going for a personal time, or simply completion, so they are unaffected, since you race as hard as you are able, and you are given your accurate chip time.

Wave starts remove this degree of uncertainty, but the problem then becomes that your swimming ability is not determined by your gender or age group, so better swimmers often have to swim through slower swimmers from earlier waves. On the plus side, by the time this happens, people should be more spread out. This was the case in Dublin this year, although i was lucky to be in the first wave.

It does seem that a lot of people are mistakenly under the impression that starting earlier in a rolling start gives you more time to complete the event. As others have said, those finishing later than 16 hours at Weymouth were not official finishers and in other races, people have been pulled from the bike/run course based on their wave start cut off having passed, while others from later waves were still going. 

I think the rolling start is here to stay, as it not only improves water safety but helps to spread out the peak of the bell curve a bit, with the 1:15ish swimmers reaching - and subsequently leaving - T1 over a greater time period, leading to less bunching on the bikes in the early stages of the cycle leg.

• Options

I'm not doing Hamburg though.

• Options
    Symes wrote (see)

Rolling at Weymouth was a bit of a joke, because so many people struggled to get down the pebbly beach, by the time the 1h20- 1h30 self seeded people got in the water, the quickest swimmers were starting their second lap so we got swum over all the way to the first and second buoys anyway.

I got biff from the pros in Wales on their second lap when I was at the first buoy as it took so long to get into the water!!

• Options

Wabby, what is the name of the Centre Parc you have booked?

• Options

In Wales the pros and age groupers had loads to overtake on the second lap.....the problem with the time.every single ironman event team looks at the finish time differently. hence some sticking to cutoffs and others ignoring them

• Options

I've posted a video of the age group rolling start on FB (can't do it on here).

• Options

what hotel in Hamburg are you all booking?

• Options
    ISB, currently Hotel Senator, near the Train station. But on free cancellation so flexible image
  • Options

My idea is mass start, single lap, fresh water 

Having sustained two cracked ribs negotiating back markers in Bolton, been sea sick in every ocean I too used to play water polo so like the scrum ! Swim faster to get away. 

Cant have everything so fresh water & two lakes in Hamburg will do.

• Options
    Iron SwissBobby wrote (see)

what hotel in Hamburg are you all booking?

I'm in IBIS Hamburg Alster Centrum 

Its approx 0.6km from finish 

• Options
    I've booked the budget Ibis for now, free cancellation and pay on arrival so I'm flexible
  • Options
    Red Stripe, I'm just round the corner from your hotel
  • Options

Hamburg area  is pretty flat terrain so you should all be ok as regards cut-offs

• Options

What date is it? May need to manouvre round chemo if we can make it !

• Options
    Nicko. Hdau wrote (see)

What date is it? May need to manouvre round chemo if we can make it !

I may try and wangly your chemo to interfere with Hamburg, so you and J have to come to Barca image xx

• Options

Which is when ?

• Options
    Nicko. Hdau wrote (see)

Which is when ?

1 October image

• Options
    Ironbaws wrote (see)
    Nicko. Hdau wrote (see)

Which is when ?

1 October image

Cant you do Lanza instead I want a warm dry holipop?

• Options

Nicko. Hdau wrote (see)

Cant you do Lanza instead I want a warm dry holipop?

Haha! I've got to work myself up for Lanza