Sub 1hour 30 mins next hal;f marathon?

Basically, did the Cardiff half marathon few weeks ago and i'm a non runner.

I went from 0 miles per month to only training 2 1/2 weeks before the half marathon...not good, I know.....but I still got what I hope is a semi-decent time of 1 hour 55 mins.

Already entered and paid for the Cardiff half next year, but plan on starting hardcore training 3 months before the event, but I wont be happy unless I get under 1 hour 30 mins.

Would 3 months training be enough?

Male aged 39.

thanks

Matt

Tagged:

Comments

• It depends. When you say 'hardcore training' do you mean that you'll be doing some training in the meantime but plan to step it up and do a structured training programme leading up to the race? Or do you mean that you don't plan to train much and then suddenly start 3 months before? Your best chance of getting under 90 minutes is to get into the habit of training regularly, say, 3 times a week, even if it's just slow easy running, and gradually build an aerobic base. You can then start 'training' in a more targeted way about 10-12 weeks before the half and expect to do well. If you want to race half marathons, presumably you quite like running and wouldn't mind doing more of it?

• I currently Just do 3 times per week, anywhere between 3-6 miles per session. But 3 months before the half, i plan on REALLY amping it up.

Not overtrain of course, but for me it's under 1h.30s or it doesn't count, and i'll die trying.

Matt.

• Maybe you could consider gradually building up your running so your runs are slightly longer (with a 'long' run at the weekend) and you are running 4 times a week before you start training seriously? That'd help and would be more effective than dying.

I once blacked out at mile 12 of a half marathon while running alongside a river. Luckily a quick-thinking spectator grabbed me before I fell in and drowned. Not recommended.

• Why not do some other races over the year - then you can see how your form is developing.
  • Oh here we go. Another one saying he'll die trying.

It doesn't work like that. You won't die but if you rush your training you'll just hurt yourself and be unable to run.

I've run so hard I was seeing double. That was fun. But you have to work consistently over a period of time. Smacking it for three months is a sure fire way to get injured.
  • Why 1hr 30 mins? You've picked an arbitrary time which (depending on your fitness level) seems a pretty tough achievement. 

With 3 months of 'hardcore' training it's very improbable you'll run under 90 minutes and far more likely you'll end up injured and not running the half marathon at all. Why not train more sensibly and build your base up over the next year, and forget the 90 minutes target and set yourself a sensible target closer to the time based on your training leading up to event? You'll likely run much faster than the 1hr 55mins you ran last year.

• 3 months won't be enough if you spend the time until then going for a 3-6 mile jog 3 times a week.  If, on the other hand, you've spent it on a plan of getting yourself running faster (being able to sustain sub 7 minute miles, or targeting a sub 20 minute parkrun, for instance), with the odd longer, slower run (10 miles, say) thrown in, you'll be at a much better starting point.  

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I think 90 min is a good target and probably quite doable provided you're consistent with training like Literatin suggested and gradually build up what you're doing over the year, then following a reputable plan for the last 3 months. Talk of hardcore training and really amping it up sounds like a recipe for injury. Any increase should be gradual. I agree with the other posters in recommending not dying. 

• 90 minutes is a big ask - how many people do you think did that at Cardiff? 5%? 10%? But then we don't know what your fitness levels are, so maybe it's possible. Easy enough to find out - as CD says, can you run a mile in 6mins 52 secs, and if so, are you bent over double at the end gasping for air or are you ready to do another 12 of them? Run a few 10Ks inbetween and see how these go, and decide how realistic the 90 mins is.

You will need to train well, and it may be hard work at times, but keep the dogged determination for raceday. You need to build a fitness base and "progressively overload" your body - every training run will cause micro-damage to muscles, which then need to repair themselves. It's during this recovery that the muscle development takes place, and if you push too hard in training or don't allow the recovery time then it's easy to see where the injuries can happen. Learn from others' mistakes - if you push too hard and try to cram too much into a short time without a good base then you are very likely to get injured, and no amount of "dying trying" will help this. Trust me, there are some great runners on here, and there's a lot of experience, lots of it gained first hand

You've got a year, why not use it? I think your determination will help you on the day, and hope you can go sub-90, but "hardcore" training is not the answer.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    In answer to you're ? is 3 months enough? Think the general consensus would be No, too much in too short a time and too Injury risk prone to be sensible.

That said, a sub 1:30 for a 40 year old is no big deal, plenty of 50+ can do it easily, so perhaps relax a bit, take you're time and work towards it.

Better to run lots of sub 1:30s easily than bust a gut for just 1?
  • OP hasnt been back since the weekend, Maybe he did die in his efforts. image
  • Still waiting. He's probably not been back because it's not July. No need to start training for his 90 minute half yet.
  • I'm betting that 'he won't be happy' with his result.