Options

PSOF Championships 2018

Comments

• Options

Symes, thats not necc anydifferent to recent years .. but, it may be that the 'FB pirates' actually want to race somewhere ?

I dunno, just putting some ideas out there

• Options

who knows?

We definitely need to put a closing date on this at some point otherwise it will end up being the procrastination championships image

• Options

I think we'd be good at that  image

I think an end date in May is good, I dont think that a decision *just* by the select few going to Lanza gets the buy-in of the amount of people we hope to attract to a champs

That said, if we need to get Lanza off our chests for a Champs (and I'm not sure we do) then why not just call it for 2018 and be done with it  image

• Options

Thats kind of my view too Meldy... its all good and well suggesting Wales or Lanza, but if we do want those '500 FB pirates' to join in, and have another 40+ entrants, then we do need to pay them some attention, and not just dismiss them as unimportant... and I suspect, for the majority, neither of those venues are ideal.

I know of two people who really wanted to join the pirates last year, but we lost their interest because of mainly the prevarication, but also the fact that for, at least one of them, the other option being discussed, of Lanza, was just too frightening for a first IM....

The champs was, after all, originally envisaged as a device to get absolute newbies to IM in as little time as possible, not just as an annual gathering for old hands'... if we aren't careful to bring in some new blood, the pirates will eventually fade away... and we aren't bringing in a fraction of the new names that we were just 5 or 6 years ago.

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

Italy would be interesting.....

I am there this year so hopefully somewhere different ( Wales ) next year 

• Options

Leave the vote on here

People post the name of the race they want and we keep a tally on here, simple

• Options
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

Thats kind of my view too Meldy... its all good and well suggesting Wales or Lanza, but if we do want those '500 FB pirates' to join in, and have another 40+ entrants, then we do need to pay them some attention, and not just dismiss them as unimportant... and I suspect, for the majority, neither of those venues are ideal.

I know of two people who really wanted to join the pirates last year, but we lost their interest because of mainly the prevarication, but also the fact that for, at least one of them, the other option being discussed, of Lanza, was just too frightening for a first IM....

The champs was, after all, originally envisaged as a device to get absolute newbies to IM in as little time as possible, not just as an annual gathering for old hands'... if we aren't careful to bring in some new blood, the pirates will eventually fade away... and we aren't bringing in a fraction of the new names that we were just 5 or 6 years ago.

Was it? Is this written down in the rule book we haven't got either

• Options

I am sort of looking at going long again for 2018 but like many others am tied work wise to particular periods..........

As others have said an early decision would be good image  if it fits I'll be there!

• Options
    FF I think that certainly was a consideration in the early days
  • Options

Wasn't zero to IM in a year a thing in someones head as well.............once

• Options

Zero to IM in a year is in my history 

• Options

I certainly think there is some merit in the occasional UK champs, especially with so many great races to choose from in the Uk at the minute. Look at the Pirate attendance at Lakesman this season. if it was a champs race that would probably double if not more, so it may be that 40 or 50 of us would be racing.

I also like the idea of an online vote but think it should be held on here rather than on Facebook and if possible actually kept of Facebook that way its those of us that engage through the RW ship that would get a say. Also the thread wouldn't get lost in the ,ists of time as thinks tend to on FB. I am sure that those that don't frequent here very much any more would hear about it through word of mouth and come along and vote of they felt the urge.

I have been hanging around here for 3 years now and definitely seen a decline in the amount of new scurvy dogs, the question is does that matter to us? I can't help feeling that it does.

FF, you mean you don't have to go from zero to Ironman to be a Pirate? next you'll be telling me I didn't need to sleep with the Coach.

• Options
    nutty nikki 2 wrote (see)

I can defo help out on the bike feed station , me and nutter 1 and nutter 2 image

Magna Carter wrote (see)

I don't agree that we've done things to actively attract newbies in the past, there was a time when people were given a really hard time, many disappearing having not been able to understand or cope with some of the banter (some of which was rather harsh).

Of the two that 'really wanted to join' they do seem to have been were put off easily?  Didn't they think of coming along to meet some of us, perhaps joining a training ride or one of the many other events with pirates represented?  Id hope someones motivation for joining the pirates is more about whether the pirate champs location suits them?.

I don't agree that we should try and double think what mystery members might prefer, if they're that fickle there's unlikely to be any longevity in their participation. My guess is that of the 568 FB members, most are participating/retired pirates, with another large number who were added on an impulse having met pirates at an event, or are interested parties.  Its could only be a handful that would be interested to join an pirates champs, and who knows whether they prefer easy or hard course, UK or Europe?  The decision should be made for those who are here now, or at least show some willingness to get involved.

It used to be the case that the champs was decided and pretty much everyone got behind it, but then there weren't so many alternatives, and people hadnt done x,y,z events etc.  Personally, I don't think the location really plays that much importance, ultimately there isn't a great deal of difference between most of the European events, whichever is chosen its the people that make the experience.  

I do agree that a decision in May, I don't favour a voting system, Symes raised the valid point about who votes, maybe a fair system would be block voting with pirate points image

Ive always maintained its not about numbers, the most popular choice or attracts the most people.  A pirate champs can still be a success with a smaller number of people.  For me its about getting a critical mass, someone at a gathering, talking to people, generating interest, coming away with half a dozen people committed to entering when the thread's started, once the ball is rolling etc etc.

I think were we lose the interaction is that the forum's a

• Options

Some of my post disappeared but I went on to say I think the numbers are still here, look at last year, there were possibly 60-80 Ironman finishes pirates with people competing at over a dozen long distance events, im aware of Lanza, Mallorca, Outlaw, Wales, 226, IMUK, Maastricht, Sweden, Austria, Barcelona, Weymouth

• Options
    Flat Footed wrote (see)
    So far then we....

A lot of people wanting Wales.

And one vote each for

Austria
    Copenhagen
    Barcelona
    Vichy
    Maastricht

in interest of add some weight to options i'd vote for either Austria or Maastricht 

• Options

i clearly didn't read the "one" vote bit image

• Options

Mr Zuvai it wasnt an instruction .. it was a summary of the thread

Barlos we did consider IM events being newbie friendly many times hence why Lanza wasnt chosen several times ... interesting point with 70-80 IM finishers over the year, I suppose the question should be how do we get that critical mass these days with split social media and no Bala (for want of a race)??  May be the new RW forum format will allow for greater participation?

Lanza historically will always pull a crowd but I suspect like Bala it may well have a shelf life and if we are to do it as the champs then maybe we need to consider it for 2018 which pretty much does leave the rest of the year free for those who want other IM courses?? 

I'm in two minds if I want to revisit Lanza ...I did say I wouldn't ..  ;-)

• Options

I'm going to Maastricht in 2018 ... so that would be my vote image

• Options

I suppose the other issue these days is making a decision and then finding out the race wont be on the following year ! 

• Options
    IM Cairns in 2020.

We've even deployed Kanga as an advance party to test the beer.
  • Options

not that I'm in any way interested in entering but depending on the vote I may well want to come and shout abuse at those competing so a hot one would be great

• Options

Maastrict, or Wales, or Long Course Weekend Mallorca...

Ignore me though, I've retired image

• Options
    Can we vote more than once? I would love to attend the champs again and Maastricht, Austria, Vichy, Sweden, Copenhagen and Barca all suit me. I would even do Barca again, which I'm already doing in a rather diminutive sailing this year. Although I don't have kids, a date during the school holidays would also attract more Pirates, their kids and supporters
  • Options

I'll go wherever Beefy wants do image

• Options
    That's my lovely Digger a Lady xx
  • Options
    That's my lovely Digger Lady xx
  • Options

Id have come with you to Barca if it hadn't sold out!

• Options
    Oh pants, Melds!