Options

Finding Maximum heart rate ?

I am quite new to running, I have decided to try HR zone training.

I went online the other day to search for ways to find out Max heart rate and all I can find is a treadmill test / 220-age.

There must be a way of finding this out by just running down a road or around a park ? run as fast as possible until failure ?
Would anyone have advice on how to go about this. I really don't want to use a treadmill or use the 220-age.

thanks,
K.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    There is only one way to find your true max heart rate, and that is ... to max it out :)

You could do a 5K race and go flat out for the last K to the line. Or find a good hill and run up it a few minutes as hard as you can, jog back down and do it again. On about the 4th or 5th go, when you collapse in a wheezing heap, that is probably your max. What you want is a sustained hard effort culminating in a proper eyeballs-out effort. Warm up well beforehand, I mean really well.

You're right to dismiss the 220 - age calculation.

Disclaimer: a max hr test is tough, be sure you're up for it, no health issues etc, speak to GP if necessary.
  • Options
    Great advice Muttley  ! nothing to scientific to it then... 
    The 5k last 1k seems like the way to go for me, just get me started and I can try the hill on my next attempt in 6 months time.

cheers
    K
  • Options
    220-age would put my max HR at 178, but my HR is regularly 180+ and if I sprint at the end of a 5k it will be 195, so I've set 195 as my maximum. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Shona - unless you threw up or needed oxygen at the end of your 5km add on another 5 bpm, so 200.   It's very hard to reach MHR and most unpleasant to try. 
  • Options
    Maximum I've taken mine to was 180 and I was racing cyclocross at the time. That was a peak eventually levelled out at 170 for the rest of the race. Would find it hard too get it to that outwith racing.
  • Options
    Shades - I expect you're right, but I'm too lazy to ever push myself that hard, so I'll never find out! 
  • Options
    CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
    Well im very new to all this and panived tiday when my fitbit said 185 !!!! So much to learn, i thought it was just putting one foot in front if the other quickley
  • Options
    bigballer69bigballer69 ✭✭✭
    CrazeeT I think you will find your Fitbits HRM is not very accurate.
  • Options
    I don't get why people panic when their HRM tells them a figure.  The figure is what it is whether it's recorded or not.  185 is possible - as is higher. 
  • Options
    One of the basic tests is 2 x 800m flat out (with 5 mins recovery) and see where you max out. When I was lab tested it gave me exactly the same value.
  • Options
    CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
     I'll let you know when i can do 2 x 800m flat out lol