New Kit Supplier

Comments

• Looks good mate, my original 2006 kit is getting a bit shabby so will need some new kit before next May
  • edited June 2017
    Its got to be above the elbow and above the knee for IM... haven't got a clue for ITU stuff!, but will google shortly!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • ISB, there are sleeveless tri tops available too
  • Just found the rule...

Swimwear/speedsuits may NOT cover the neck or extend past the shoulders or knees.

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/haugesund/athletes/swimwear-wetsuit-policy.aspx

• ISB - WTC Rules: (f) When the use of wetsuits is prohibited (see Section 4.03), clothing covering any part of the arms below the elbows and clothing covering any of the leg below the knee is deemed illegal and is not permitted during the swim segment of the Race but may be worn after completion of the swim segment;

BTF Rules: Only mentions below the knees; nothing about arms.
  • Rafiki said:
    ISB - WTC Rules: (f) When the use of wetsuits is prohibited (see Section 4.03), clothing covering any part of the arms below the elbows and clothing covering any of the leg below the knee is deemed illegal and is not permitted during the swim segment of the Race but may be worn after completion of the swim segment;

BTF Rules: Only mentions below the knees; nothing about arms.
    Looks like the rule info is different where you look... as posted above... Just something for people to consider.

• IronbawsIronbaws ✭✭✭
    Thank so for the update, Duda. Is the plan still to show and tell at Outlaw? 
  • edited June 2017
    as per ISBs point, sleeves banned in ITU but needs further qualification as there are caveats.... there is further explanation in ITU rules 2.8c, which states that in non wetsuit swims, arms can be covered to above elbows for any distance above standard, or any distance at all if race officials specifically allow, eg for weather conditions... all this is only when its an ITU race... the BTF rules appear to be in line with IM/WTC ones

Summary... all good for IM, and half IM... ok for all other distances when its a wetsuit swim.... for short stuff below that when its non wetsuit, you need race officials approval....  all good for any UK race of any distance run under BTF rules... so unless you intend racing sprints or standards outside of the UK, you're OK!
  • Ironbaws said:
    Thank so for the update, Duda. Is the plan still to show and tell at Outlaw? 
    Yes, I am hoping the kit we ordered will be there along with the fabric swatches
  •   Sleeveless tri top in my coaches livery, all ninblewear items will be available in Pirate colours, including race caps, headsweats and visors. I think you can even have socks
  • edited June 2017
    ISB, your rule set is 2010... they've changed quite a lot since then.... and also just found a specfic BTF statement that changes the rules for 2017 to explicitly allow sleeves to the elbow.

4.9.b.iv

Clothing which covers the arm to the elbow, where the use of wetsuits is forbidden, is now permitted during the swim segment.

• @Magna Carter I looked a bit deeper and found Raf's reference... my reference was the first i found on a google search

Thanks for all the updates on this issue, was worth checking as has been said it is a ruling that keeps changing...
  • But more importantly, if you wear a short sleeved trisuit, how are we supposed to have the 'comedy tan line competition' the following day!! 
  • PapermanPaperman ✭✭✭
    There's still the number tattoo tan lines...
  • I'm looking forward to a sleeved tri suit. My shoulders look like I have leprosy I am peeling so much after the Lakesman. Good work Duda, thankless task sorting kit, so thank you!
  • Has Rafi turned into FB ?!  :)
  • I'll take that as a compliment - although i'm sure it wasn't meant as one ;)
  • Sorry to cause any confusion or grief, can someone tell me how to contact the original kit fairy. I order a top some time ago via Razor. I haven't been on any forum for a few years so don't know where to search for the correct details. Cheers Horse  
  • Horse - you'll be able to find her details here somewhere:
    https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/343890/the-2017-psof-kit-order-thread#latest

But the latest kit order hasn't arrived yet, if that's what you're worried about

• ISB - that was the old rule - IM changed theirs in 2016 and the 2017 British Triathlon rulebook followed suit in 2017 - short sleeves are fine in non-wetsuit swims.
  • One comment about the styling... are the short sleeved tri-suits swim legal in a non wet-suit swim?

I can not find the rules at the moment but i have a vague memory that the arms are to be completely uncovered in such conditions...

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

ISB

1. Where the use of wetsuits is forbidden, clothing covering any part of the arms below the elbow and clothing covering any part of the legs below the knees is also forbidden

• GH0ST said:
    One comment about the styling... are the short sleeved tri-suits swim legal in a non wet-suit swim?

I can not find the rules at the moment but i have a vague memory that the arms are to be completely uncovered in such conditions...

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

ISB

1. Where the use of wetsuits is forbidden, clothing covering any part of the arms below the elbow and clothing covering any part of the legs below the knees is also forbidden

As I said yesterday, thanks for the updates and I know stand corrected....
  • At the risk of starting a huge argument, if we go with this supplier (or a similar one) and set up a password protected shop, who will be 'the keeper of the password' and who decides who can have it?

Whilst the Pirates have always been inclusive, part of the appeal is the 'pseudo-exclusivity' of wearing the kit. If it were to be freely available, that would be lost. But if it were to be restricted, we would need some rules - which of course we don't have.

Throughout the current kit process, there is an opportunity for newbies to express a desire to obtain kit in a public forum, which may 'weed out' those that want, for example, to wear a Pirate top for a one-off park run, which may be frowned upon by some (we are, after all, an IM based group). To date, there has always been some kind of informal control over kit supply. Would this be lost with an online shop? And would this matter?

Or what would happen if the Keeper of the Password and a Pirate didn't get on - would they refuse to give them the password??

I have no strong opinion either way, and certainly don't have an answer. But if a decision is to be made at Outlaw, I thought it may be worth people thinking/discussing  this beforehand.
  • How about having it available on the facebook group... that is already a restricted/approval group hence some sort of control without too much agro...

I wont be at Outlaw, so I make the suggestion on here, and you can argue about it there.
  • I think that's a good point Raf. And another, ISB. I do think there needs to be some restriction on availability. If it was possible to access the shop only via the Facebook group, that would seem like a good way to have an element of control over who can get their hand on kit (*awaits the 'forum-based v faceebook-based' constructive discussion).
  • You're only saying that as you know I don't 'do' facebook' coz I ain't got no friends :'(
  • The ins and outs surrounding t the the keys to the shop do still need to be agreed. Currently there has been a small group of us involved in getting it set up, Magna Carter, Flat Footed, Crooky, Paperman, Meldy and myself. All to a greater or lesser extent. I would suggest that at least theses 6 would have the password although there is nothing to stop it being disseminated to a larger group of the regular and committed Pirates
    Also the new supplier doesn't preclude keeping things as they are with only one big kit order a year being done but it does remove the minimum order per item requirements of our current supplier which was my main aim. The shop also has the added benefit of being able to make small emergency interim orders or as was the case at Lakesman when 4 competitors asked to join the ship the week after having met us during the race they would be able to but kit without waiting till the following season as is currently the case. 
  • edited June 2017
    To me, it seems a bit daft to have a facility to order all year round on demand, and not use it.... I'd suggest that we need to deal with the issue, as Rafi says, of who can order the ultra exclusive, world famous pirate kit, and how we manage that, rather than worsen the experience for everyone.

Without thinking it through much, something like a password that is changed every 3 weeks or similar, so that the password can't be released into the wild, unfettered!... and pirates who want to order simply message one of the password holders* for the latest password... it would only be the work of a few mins for someone to change the password every now and then to a pre agreed schedule, and have an annual password list agreed in advance... its not ultra high security stuff, as the only real risk is that someone logs on and spends money... so no need for anything too complex or secure!

*and having a few password holders removes the valid concern that Rafi raised over someone being silly and refusing to share the password, prevents it being cliquey, takes the load of any one individual, and makes contactability a bit easier.
    Furthermore, if we only accepted pw requests via private message on RW (or member of FB group as ISB says), then you'd need to be a registered user to contact a pw holder, which adds another layer to reduce the instance of random unknown people wandering in and ordering kit without wanting to engage with PSOF properly

Oh, and one final thing.... Duda mentions who has been involved, but its worth pointing out that all our roles have largely been in providing encouragement.... and Duda has done pretty much all the heavy lifting here, as well as taking the initial financial risk... for which I offer my grateful appreciation
  • Seems a rather sensible suggestion, Magna - almost too sensible for Pirates!! B)

Although perhaps a password change on a fixed date, e.g. 1st of each month??
  • Rafiki said:
    You're only saying that as you know I don't 'do' facebook' coz I ain't got no friends :'(
    aaawwwww ((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))  I can be your friend

maybe