Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Marathon (May 28th)

Any other participants?
I just completed Manchester so I'm still recovering from that, and Liverpool will be my second marathon of the year (and third overall). I have heard that there are a few hills and that it can also be a bit windy, so I'd be interested to hear any other views on it.
Tagged:

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Unlikely I will be doing it as I have a HM the week before,but here's the profile
    http://www.runrocknroll.com/liverpool/the-races/course/
    Doesn't look too bad,bit up hill at the start out to the football grounds,then downhill back.They key will be which way the wind blows for the last 4 miles.If it's behind you along the prom then happy days,but if it's against you then it's a killer.I've had both in different races.
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'll be doing it for the 3rd year running. Like Everest compared to Manchester! Definitely not a PB course. Not mega hilly but 2 big enough inclines and plenty of undulation too. Last 4 are really hard and uninspiring back along the river. Loads of obstacles and hardly any crowd. Really good atmosphere at the Arena though. I'll be taking it easy after Sunday's run at Manchester.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That doesn't really inspire much confidence! :D
    I managed a little two mile recovery run today. Legs are still very tired and a bit grouchy. I'm going very gently at this point.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Cal, I ran this last year and year before. Not an easy course, as the other guys have said there are significant hills, and a couple of them quite steep. There's a short but very steep one just after Anfield and then another one up to the Chinese arch later on. Start and finish are next to each other, so as far as hills goes, what goes up must come down.The promenade section is hard into the wind, it's just very exposed. Having said that, somehow I got a PB there two years ago (and this was my fourth marathon in seven weeks!), so it's an unlikely PB course but it is possible. Concert at the finish area is good, and it's nice to have somewhere warm / dry to sit beforehand (everyone hangs out in the arena until about 10 minutes before the start). I enjoyed the race, would def. do it again.
  • There are some very steep hills in the first half - but the second half is fine.  You might even get a tailwind down the river - but more likely a headwind.... 

Just enjoy it if you're not on for a PB  ?
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    TBH, the climb up to the stadiums isn't as bad as the profile suggests, and there's a long downhill to follow. It's the few short steep ones which took the most out of me. There's also a few sharp corners ,e.g.- Penny Lane and the underpass at the end of Aigburth Road before you go into the last park section.

Great race, though, and obviously the medals are awesome.
  • What's that St Domingo  climb ? That took me by surprise - the little devil.

Penny Lane is a PITA - just running down it to say you have. It's an annoyance I could happily live without.

The Liverpool Marathon that started in Birkenhead and went through the Tunnel was a nicer route.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Cougie, couldn't agree more. That wee short climb after Anfield after the left turn off the main road, feels like crampons are needed. And Penny Lane is just pointless and the turn around at the end isn't helpful to tired legs. But great that there's something on afterwards and people don't just finish and drift away, last year was awesome, sitting drinking beer in the sun watching Cast with a very shiny medal on.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Rodeoflip is spot on .The hills are short and sharp and not to be underestimated and don't forget the one around 21 miles- Penny Lane??. I've done this for the last two years both after London .The year before last was ok but I really suffered last year ,probably as the gap between the two was shorter and I'd not fully recovered and it was a lot warmer last year. The run along the river is OK unless there's a headwind. Might do it again this year but I need to see how I feel after London and Copenhagen the week before. The medal beer and music at the end are brilliant 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks on the heads up, folks. I'll make sure I get some hills in between now and then. My 20 mile route has a few hills (not steep, but enough to be testing) so I should be OK, hopefully. Can't do much about the weather, though.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh, forgot to ask, bottles or cups in this race?
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Bottles of water and orange Lucozade sport. Gels are high 5 iso. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I just got the email through with the details - thanks.
  • SmudgerncfcSmudgerncfc ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Cal,

I am doing Liverpool this year, it will be my 5th Marathon of the year and 6th in 6 months though. I am also running the Asics (Brathay) Windermere Marathon the week before Liverpool, so I certainly aren't expecting a PB at Liverpool.

Head over to the Paris Forum, there are a number of us from there heading up to do Liverpool and also the Liverpool Half.  Orbutt on there is a local who runs it every year and will tell you everything that you need to know about it.

I also have a Club Mate from Waveney Valley to meet up with in Liverpool too.

Smudgerncfc's 10 Marathon's in 2017
  • Ive entered the half, can anyone recommend accomodation? Leaving it last minute obviously prices are pretty steap. What's it like getting into the city that morning and parking up? Thinking maybe a nearby travel lodge and driving in maybe best?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    This is last year's thread - there's a newer one. I stayed in the Marriott last year but it appears to be full. Your best bet is to try one of the travel sites or Air B&B.
  • If you can stay on the Friday night - there's an arts festival on - http://lightnightliverpool.co.uk/

I'd not drive into town. Plenty of trains around. 

Travelodge New Brighton is walking distance to the train. 
    Failing that any TL on the wirral - you can drive to a station and train over.