VLM 2018!!

Comments

• Thanks Harmander - sounds like a plan. Getting to the front of the Pen will be the challenge then!
  • glenjones - get into the pen early and get to the front while it is empty.

laura - you might want to consider a bin bag with holes cut in for your head ONLY - Wheelie Bin liners are best because they cover the whole body - to wear if it's raining.
  • Hi,

I'm currently training for the marathon. It's my first one ever!

I've been really struggling with Shin Splints. I have a haematoma on my calf which even after 4 physio sessions isn't going down, my physio thinks this is what is causing the shin splint pain.

I don't suppose anyone has ever been in a similar position? Can't afford too many more physio sessions so anything anyone could suggest that might help get rid of the haematoma or the shin splint pain would be amazing!

Thanks,
    Elliot
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    I'm a fairly new marathon runner, running for charity this year.  My PB is just under 4 hours, from a flat, fast course last year.  Given that pushing for this sort of time would put me in perhaps one of the busiest 'sections' of the race, is it realistic to expect a similar time at London (which is fairly flat too, I believe)?
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

London's course route is as flat as a 10-day old Coke, since it mainly follows the river. There's one downhill at 3 miles and that's it.

The race will be very crowded, but there's nothing you can do about it. I would set off at your planned pace if possible and stick to it, but if you get held up (especially at the start) then don't make the mistake of running all over the place to get past people - you'll wear yourself out, and you'll never get past everyone. If you get held up so that you get sub-4, then bide your time. You might get an opportunity to make some time back in the second half of the race when it thins out a bit. Either way, if you get held up, then you get held up, unfortunately that's always a risk at a big event like London.

• You'll probably be in a pen with other 4 hour runners too so it should be OK.
    As RF says - if you do get off to a slow start just carry on at your pace. There's a chance you might have something left when it clears nearer the end. 
    Running fast to catch up is a bad plan and you'll lose a lot of time by the end. 

• As one of the official RW Pacers it would be remiss of me not to suggest that you tag along with one of my colleagues who is guaranteed to get you to the finish in the time on their flag.
    You can meet them at the Expo at the RW stand,.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Thanks.  I think I put down 4:15 as my target time all those months back.  Do you think I can switch forward to the 4:00 pen (it’s a charity entry btw)
  • I don't think you need to. In my first LM I'd put something like 6 hours as I'd not run any race before entering - I was able to run comfortably under 4 hours. 
  • The answer is no you cannot switch pens but you can get to the front of the pen

• Please refer to my message of 13 February that will answer al of your other likely questions
  • Hi guys I have a charity place to this years VLM. It is my first marathon and I am a bit nervous about it. I had been sticking to a training plan for 4hrs 30min estimated time but this is has been affected by a broken rib I suffered 3 weeks ago. I am starting next week to get out on the road again but feel I might have to jog/walk run the race. With this in mind how do the 5 hr + pacers split their jog/runs. Is it jog a certain distance ie 1km then walk or is it based on so many minutes jogging then so many walking? Im just going to try and be realistic thats all with the rest of my training plan. Many thanks. Phil
  • philskayman,
    I know how you feel about being nervous. I am always nervous before every marathon and I have done a couple now (well 128 actually with another one tomorrow weather permitting).
    You will be in the Red start from Greenwich Park and the 5 hour pacer will be doing even splits of 7 minutes (and 6 seconds) every km.

I am one of the two 5 hour pacers but at the Blue start as last year.  Am not sure how the cut and paste wil come out but here are my splits from 2017 when we were asked to do 4:58.

Splits

SplitTime Of DayTimeDiffmin/kmkm/hPlace
    5K10:48:3200:34:3534:3506:558.68-
    10K11:24:0901:10:1335:3807:088.42-
    15K11:58:4301:44:4634:3406:558.68-
    20K12:33:3902:19:4234:5707:008.59-
    Half12:41:1802:27:2207:4006:598.60-
    25K13:09:0402:55:0727:4607:078.44-
    30K13:43:5603:29:5934:5306:598.60-
    35K14:19:0204:05:0535:0707:028.55-
    40K14:54:0304:40:0635:0107:018.57-
    Finish15:11:5604:57:5917:5408:097.3618514
  • Thanks Harmander for the reply thats helpful . Do the 5hr pacers pretty much jog all the way and the 5hr 20m pacers run/walk? Thanks again
  • philskayman,
    I know how you feel about being nervous. I am always nervous before every marathon and I have done a couple now (well 128 actually with another one tomorrow weather permitting).
    You will be in the Red start from Greenwich Park and the 5 hour pacer will be doing even splits of 7 minutes (and 6 seconds) every km.

I am one of the two 5 hour pacers but at the Blue start as last year.  Am not sure how the cut and paste wil come out but here are my splits from 2017 when we were asked to do 4:58.

Splits

SplitTime Of DayTimeDiffmin/kmkm/hPlace
    5K10:48:3200:34:3534:3506:558.68-
    10K11:24:0901:10:1335:3807:088.42-
    15K11:58:4301:44:4634:3406:558.68-
    20K12:33:3902:19:4234:5707:008.59-
    Half12:41:1802:27:2207:4006:598.60-
    25K13:09:0402:55:0727:4607:078.44-
    30K13:43:5603:29:5934:5306:598.60-
    35K14:19:0204:05:0535:0707:028.55-
    40K14:54:0304:40:0635:0107:018.57-
    Finish15:11:5604:57:5917:5408:097.3618514
  • ooops
    sorry for double posting.

I think they do 10 and 1 but will ask.

You can meet us at the RW stand at the Expo
  • 5 hours run all the way but 5:15 run 10 and walk 1 or just jog slower all the way.

Please also see my reply of 13 February
  • Thanks again for the quick response. I completed my first run back to recovery today and managed 10km on a run/walk basis which I was comfortable with after 3-4 weeks out of action. Can I just ask and sorry for my naivety but was does the run 10 walk 1 mean from your comment? Is it run 10 mins walk 1 minute or to do with distance? Thanks Phil (newbie lol)
  • Hello! Hope training is going well for everyone. I have a couple of first timer anxiety- starting-to-kick-in type questions, apologies if they seem a bit tedious!

What is a good time to get to the Blue/Red start? I have a ballot place so I think I might be at the blue start.

What time do we start assembling in the pens? And are there portaloos near the starting pens in case of a last minute nervous toilet trip?

I've read about bringing a spare hoody/bing bag and other such items but for those experienced are there any other things you take with you that you also consider as essential?

Thanks in advance.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Littlecoconut - get to the start area sooner than you might think. At least an hour before the start (really) - main reasons for this are that the whole area will be really busy and the baggage buses will leave well before the race starts. I've never started from the blue start but I'm sure there will be loads of loos. There will also be loads of people nipping into the bushes around the place. My favourite spot for this is a piece of unused ground just near the entrance to the green start!

Other things to take to the start line - maybe some toilet paper? If you're male, perhaps an empty bottle (means if you get caught short before the race you can discreetly pee in it)?

Sort everything out before you go to the start line (any medication, sunblock, etc.) and you shouldn't need to bring much. Bear in mind that there will be loads of people around and the route is often protected from wind by buildings, so once you get going, you'll probably be warmer than you think.

Other than that - just your running shoes and your number!

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Sorry should have been clearer - you need to arrive at the start area at least an hour before, and you need to allow for public transport to be busy, so make sure you allow plenty of time.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    For those giving advice about wearing a bin bag or bin liner - please consider bringing an old jumper or jacket instead which you can leave at the start line - I think these are collected and given to charity; rather than bin bags that are now unusable due to holes, they just go to landfill most likely!
  • I usually arrive at start area about 08.15, that gives you time to enjoy the atmosphere, get changed, hydrate ( lots of areas giving out water,tea,coffee,Lucozade) plenty of toilets BUT queues are pretty long, especially the ladies,do take an old hoodie etc as can get chilly waiting once kit is on lorry,does usually get recycled for charities,(at least the older stuff does, know what I mean,lol)don’t forget the “sudacreme “ for the bits that rub and chaff and the Imodium to stop any “other problems “
  • All good advice above.
    Yes the ques for the loos can be 20 minutes even though there are hundreds of them.
    It is a 20 minute journey by car from where I live and we leave home at 6:45 am.
    Baggage lorries leave about 40 minutes before the start but by then even they are rally busy.
    EVERYONE is nervous no matter what they try to show.
  • I can’t believe it, My friend, running for a charity this year, has been contacted to see if he would like to register for 2019 London Marathon,still 5 weeks to go to this years yet!
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Harmander, I’m keen to try to stick by one of the pacers - maybe the one just under four hours - but one thing that I wanted to ask is to find out whether the pacers manage to avoid the inevitable slow-downs that the large numbers of runners cause.  I’d hate to stick by a pacer and find that they themselves had missed the target time due to overcrowding.  

I ask because I’ve heard it said many times that at certain pinch points - particularly at common paces - everyone is effectively walking.  That must be difficuilt to deal with as a pacer, no?
  • jtced,
    I have only come across a pacer going over the time once and this will be my 34th consecutive London marathon.
    As a 5 hour pacer, we were asked to finish in 4:58 - so I did in 4:57:59 as you can see from my splits last year.  It is what we are there for - to take that stress out for you.
    You got to have faith in someone if not yourself.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Thanks Harmander.  Looks like it's all perfectly setup!  Just need to ensure I am up to keeping up with the pacers on the day :) 
  • Okay folks, I need clarification, on the LM website it says that a PDF download of the final instructions will be available soon, will there be an attachment for you to download the “conformation “paperwork you need to take to Expo for registration, or do you still get a hard copy through the post, and if so, any one know when, thanks for helping a technicality challenged person,lol ?