Sherwood Pines Half Marathon Scam?

MaxticateMaxticate ✭✭✭
Runners entering the Sherwood Pines Half Marathon yesterday received notification that the event has been postponed due to volunteers dropping out and ensuing safety concerns about the event. This with only six days to go before the event. 

The event is run by marathon trails uk and unlike other race organisers they do not allow the entry to be transferred to another event and they will not give out a refund for the race being postponed. 

The postponement appears to be a great dodge for them because if you can't make the rescheduled date you count as a no show and have no right to a refund. 

They only refund upon cancellation except in the case of force majeure.

The word locally is that the company had not asked Sherwood Pines trail centre for volunteers as is the normal procedure. It is impossible to say for sure but the whole thing appears to be either woefully organised or a rip off made possible by terms and conditions. Of course the facebook group for the event now has commenting turned off and there has been no further comment. 

The rise in social media has made generating a buzz and getting attendance for an event a lot easier but the difficulty of actually organising the event is probably greater than ever. With the cost of event entries always rising its definitely a case of caveat emptor. But perhaps the runners should be receiving a little more protection for their participation. 

Tagged:

Comments

• That's pretty poor.  Lack of volunteers doesn't sound like force majeure to me, I suspect that a lack of refund wouldn't stand up to scrutiny under UK consumer laws, but you'd need someone with better legal knowledge than me.

There seem to be a lot of these event companies these days - some of them are very good, despite the complaints that they're more expensive than club events, but unfortunately there are some very ropey ones as well.

• MaxticateMaxticate ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your thoughts Dave. I don't know where the law stands on such matters but I think I will definitely be more cautious from now on. After all if you'd paid best part of £30 for a product and never received it you would have recourse to get a refund. If you booked to attend an music event and the promoter cancelled you'd be entitled to a full refund.
  • That is a shame - I did one of their events this January and that was fine - fairly low key - but I did wonder about the logic of holding events in different areas - it's usually a local thing ? 
    They are repeating this event in the summer as the January one was such a success.

They even had a road closure and safety marshals too - it seemed pretty well organised. 
  • MaxticateMaxticate ✭✭✭
    Hi Cougie, good to hear at least one of their events went off OK. I still think it is poor form to leave such a short amount of time till race day to postpone the event (for what shouldn't be an unforeseen event). Then to limit you in a way with the legal terms so as you have to attend the next event or you lose out. I won't be looking to do another of their events in the future under those conditions.

If the rescheduled date appears and I'm able to do it then I will but I won't expose my self to that risk again if I have any other option. 

• MaxticateMaxticate ✭✭✭
    Looks as if it was just dodgy organisation after all. the Race is back on thanks to Nottingham Women's Runners running club providing volunteers to marshal at the event. Anyone who has booked on a different race because of the previous cancellation will have their entry carried forward to next year. So all's well that ends well and marathon trails UK have redeemed themselves somewhat. 
  • Phew - glad that's resolved !  Good luck with the run Max.