help Marathon in 10 days not trained properly

Hi i have a marathon on the 10th of june but havent had chance to do my usual longer runs as i usually do. I usually aim to do 4 or 5 runs between 18 and 24 miles in the 2 months before the marathon but this time i have only done a couple of 18 milers (currently in the process of relocating so has taken up alot of time) i have been doing between 30 and 40 a week most weeks. 

Would it help to do a 20 mile run before the race or should i just taper and hope for the best?
Tagged:

Comments

• Unless you know that you recover quickly from long runs I wouldn't do a 20 mile run this close. You're probably better off adjusting expectations, starting conservatively and enjoying the day.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • 20 now with less than 2 weeks to go will do more harm than good.  The mileage you've done will get you round, if you follow LMH's advice and adjust goals accordingly. 
  • Steve1984ukSteve1984uk ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice will just give it a go and see how i get on. :)
  • Christ no - don't do the 20.  All to lose and nuffink to gain. 

If it were me I'd just adjust my goals accordingly and pace to the slower time. 

One London Marathon I'd not run over 13 and was prepared for a verrry slow marathon with my legs surely coming off.  At half way I felt really good and I had the best finish every - passed 1000s in the last few miles with nobody coming past.  Obviously not a PB but a nice experience. 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Taper. Better to turn up under-trained and rested than over-trained and tired. And that's without factoring in risk of injury.

If you've been running between 30 and 40 miles per week for most weeks then you're probably better prepared than you think.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I just completed my second marathon (Liverpool) of the year on very little training. I trained normally for Manchester in April and achieved my time goal there, but a little tendon niggle I'd been managing became a lot angrier once I resumed training again. In eight weeks between the two races, the most I managed was a half marathon (done at MP), with the majority of the runs I was able to do being 4-6 miles. I got through Liverpool but it wasn't pretty. I hit the wall at mile 16 and had to take a few walk breaks after 20. But I got round it it was actually only 8 minutes slower than my PB.
    As others have said, manage your expectations and you'll be fine. And be conservative with your pace. I ran the first 10 miles of Liverpool too fast and, if I'd trained the way I did for Manchester, I might have got away with it. As it was, I paid for it later.
  • Steve1984ukSteve1984uk ✭✭✭
    yeah thanks for the help my last marathon was in november ive done a few 18 mile runs since then and one about 2 weeks ago. I will just aim for a slower time i think. This is a trail marathon so they are all different anyway. Thanks for the advice feeling a bit better about it :)