Running straight after waking up?

Hi guys with work and a young baby I'm finding it hard to fit run time in.

Currently my best option would be to get up earlier and go. Something like 
Up at 5:30 
Have a coffee while driving to spot where I begin my run
Start the run no later than 6

Is there any major disadvantages to running early morning without any breakfast? Apart from been up at daft oclock 
Tagged:

Comments

• Fasted running (as it's called when you run on a day when you haven't eaten yet) is a well recognised training approach. Some people love it, some people hate it!

I'm a huge fan of fasted running - but I don't go that early in the morning LOL! I enjoy it a lot and feel like I run well on an empty stomach.

Make sure you eat a good balanced meal very soon afterwards though, and don't push too hard or too fast the first time you try it so you don't give your body too much of a shock.
  • Q W233Q W233 ✭✭✭
    There are proven benefits of doing this and as far as I know not really many disadvantages, other than potential dangers if it's still dark. I personally have tried this just the once but didn't enjoy it - I need my sleep badly and I find I don't perform anywhere near as good if I don't have food 2-3 hours before. That said, there are loads of people who do it and for whom it works.
  • You could try eat a banana or cereal bar if you don't want to run on a completely empty stomach. Why do you have to drive somewhere to run, can you not run from the abode?
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    We in our club start all our long runs early here in Brisbane. 

'standard' Saturday long run starts at 5:30am for between 12 and 20km. Those who are running longer because they are in marathon buildup will start as follows:
    24km - 5:00am
    28km - 4:30am
    32km - 4:00am
    37km - 4:00am

We draw the line at 4:00am and refuse to get start any earlier! That means sometimes a 3:15am alarm. Breakfast might be a banana on the way to our start point. 

One thing I have noticed is that long runs get a LOT easier with more nutrition. I'll eat a banana and drink 500ml of gatorade before starting, but typically get through 3 gels and a pile of gummy snakes as well as drinking a further 500ml of gatorade on the run. I may start on a near empty stomach - but I make sure the fuel keeps coming in. If I dont take on board all the fuel and go fully 'fasted running' then I find anything over 30km really really tough. 
  • Dadagain- Out of interest why does your club do the Saturday runs so early? Is it because of the heat, get it over before it gets to hot?
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    BB69 - yep. Even in winter around here once the sun is up it can be 25C+ and very uncomfortable. In summer the coolest and least humid part of the day is 4-6am. (It might be just 28C and 70% instead 35C and 90% by 9am).

Early starts also mean people can get it done before all the rest of the weekend commitments kick in. School netball/soccer/rugby/cricket etc etc are all pretty big on Saturday mornings so finishing up between 7 and 8am is essential if the club doesnt want to lose too many parents to the inevitable "I have to take Kylie to waterpolo by 7:30". Even so I miss quite a few saturday runs 'cos my kids violin lessons happen at 7:30am on saturday morning (before netball). 

I would say that in general society here works a lot earlier than UK. I typically start work at 7:30 and finish around 4. Anyone showing up at work after 8am is going to be last one in and may be subject to suspicious dirty looks! A lot of people will get up early and do a bit of exercise before going to work so a 5:30 start would not be considered unusual by any means. Flip-side is that unless you're in the party zone's of the city, any pub or restaurant is likely to be a deadzone by 9pm an I'm usually tucked up and sleeping by 9:30pm!
  • David J 27David J 27 ✭✭✭
    I did the same - early start - wake 0520, ablutions, then run. Took a few weeks to get the body adjusted but its great - back home in time for family waking and wife's cup of tea in bed. Won't do many PBs but have a bright head torch and off road runs in the dark of Winter are great. Also lots of wild life about. 
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Often out by 0600, just have water before and porridge afterwards. Chris Grooms often trains before brekkie, he does 'quite well' on it! Also it makes racing easier as you are used to running on empty so do not feel it as much at the end of a long run. Lots of people out running up north at this time. 
  • I often run like this - every Saturday for sure.  Except I run from home rather than drive. Always seems a waste to drive places to run - do you not have safe running nearby ?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I do almost all my runs before breakfast, but I usually wait an hour or so after I've woken. Reason being, I need the coffee to do its work. No, I don't mean wake me up, I mean, uh, getting things moving. I wouldn't want to be taken short on a run, if you know what I mean.
  • GradgeGradge ✭✭✭
    I always say you never know until you try it.I often run first thing-I just have a coffee and go.If time is short there should be no need to drive to a location prior to running?Energy gels could be useful too?
  • PaulMarshPaulMarsh ✭✭✭
    I run to and from work most days - 11 miles each way and usually get up around 5 am to either do a training run (min 1 hour) or the run to work, and depends what time I start.
    It's got really easy, just get up, have a little water, get my shorts and shoes on and run, first 5 mins warm up jog, then ok to pace after that.
  • Nothing wrong with it at all! I'd recommend having a banana or slice of toast just before you go to give yourself a bit of energy. Avoid the coffee if - like me - it goes straight through you...
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced you're fasted if you run first thing. You've eaten the night before and not exactly done much other than sleep, I might be wrong though. I find I start a little sluggishly but get going after a few miles. Seems to be mostly mental and I've done up to 20 miles in the morning with no food. I definitely flag a little more quickly than normal though.
  • I'm the same as Dad again, running at the minute at 0330 before a morning shift. Working shifts - air traffic controllers don't work 9-5 and the daytime temp is 47 degrees with the night time dropping to 36.
    Everything is relative however, my cutoff is usually 38 degrees.
    I never eat before running, will run up to 30k without eating, usually just a double espresso before I head out.
    Also nothing wrong with night runs. You adapt! 
    Roll on the winter and 30 degrees for daytime runs!
  • Fair comment Reg - but presumably it depends on when you last ate and what time you run?

Typically, I eat no later than about 7 pm on Friday then I'm a lazy-arsed slug on Saturdays and don't run until around midday or sometimes later. I don't eat before I go out so that's running on a good 17 hours without food - only some water.
  • stu1970stu1970 ✭✭✭
    I normally end up doing that with Parkrun on a Saturday. Usually because I work late on a Friday so I don't wake up too long before 9am anyway. Hasn't done me any harm.
  • used to do this regular, hardest bit was getting out of the door in winter. Now I do it maybe 2 of 3 times a week due to work etc. I don't eat before, just a drink of water and keep it around 1hr long, once my legs loosen up I love it, I feel lighter, less bloated etc plus the roads are pretty empty. I have breakfast when I get home. Don't know about others but it puts me in a better mood for the rest of the day,  as well as freeing up more time. I think I burnt more fat too when I did it more often, I could eat almost anything which I certainly can't do now.
  • I did an early run last week for the first time and i felt great for the rest of the day knowing I'd done my exercise for the day and i ran a PB! I did feel hungry as soon as i got home though!
  • At this time of year tends to be cooler at that time in the morning which I'm finding a help. I tend to just to take water before I run and have breakfast after.
  • I find this can be the best time to do it, not to mention it gets it out of the day. Sometimes I think it can be better not eating anything, but however, recently I have found it a struggle to run at 6-7 am. I would do long runs (6K plus) at this time but shorter runs, say 2K-5K whatever time. Sometimes doing them at the end of the day when it gets cooler is good, but you may be tired