Knee Pain, bit confused by all different threads

Hello dear runners,

I discovered the passion for running around 6 months ago (yep, I'm a very beginner) and I recently start training for my first half marathon. I'm still a bit confused with many things.

By last week my longest run was 15k (increased 5k from the previous week), this week I increased my long run of 7 more kilometers (22k) as I felt I could do it while a was running. The problem is that few hours after I finished my run, beside some muscle tiredness, my left knee start hurting. The pain has its up and down, it hurts mostly when I'm seating for a bit and then I stand. I can hear a "crunch" when I'm bending my knee. Now, 2 days after, the pain hasn't decreased much and I still still feel it while I'm walking or stay sit for too long.

My question is... is this the famous runner's knee? and if so how should treat it and how long should I stay off running even after the pain disappear?

I'm pretty concern as I'm just a beginner and I love running and I don't want to stop. I never had any problem before and I'm afraid that I screwed up my knee pushing too much on my last long run. I got my half marathon coming in the next few months and I would really like to run it.

Thank you in advance for your responses :)
Tagged:

Comments

• Too much too soon - you need to build your distance a little more gradually. Can't diagnose your issue from what you've said but good practice would be to ice and rest but keep it mobilised. If it hasn't settled down in a few days I'd be looking for a physio for more specific advice. Hope you're soon back on the road.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Agree with LMH, too big a step up. In addition to rest/ice, may I suggest massage/foam roll your quads.  I've had knee pain deferred from tightness in my mid back though so there could be a multitude of causes of your knee pain

Plenty of time to get it sorted before your half - as long as you don't overdo it again ;-)

• In my case recently pain like you describe (including the "worse when seated for a bit" was due to very tight outer quads and ITB pulling the kneecap slightly out of alignment. A sports massage followed by some self-massage and stretches for the quads & ITB sorted it out.

Does also sound like you've pushed up the distances a bit fast (which is easy to do if you're enjoying the running!).

So, a bit of rest, massage of the quads, whether using a foam roller or otherwise, stretches for the quads/ITB and drop back a bit in distance would be my suggestions.

Good luck!
  • thank you all for your advice :smile: