Options

How long does it take for someone to run 1.5 miles ?

No.. not the speed. but the training involved.

Can most people run 1.5 miles ?

Id like to know, as i do a lot of cycling but will need to be able to run 1.5 miles for a job.

How long did you train to be able to run 1.5 miles + ?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    TrogsTrogs ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    5 months is enough time to train from scratch to run a marathon!!

I suspect if you slowed your pace down you could go out and run 1.5 miles tomorrow if you had to.  Don't worrry about speed initially; build up slowly and steadily till you can comforably run 3miles or so, then start adding in some shorter faster runs and interval sessions to build the speed till you meet the required target.

Answers

• Options
    kmo86kmo86 ✭✭✭
    Now do you mean run at any speed 1.5 mile or in a set time? For me it took around a month but was still slowish doing it. Everyone will be different tho. I had never ran before but did walk a lot.

what job is it that you need to do it for?
  • Options
    6 mins would be fast
    9 mins would be average
    15 mins would be a steady jog

Just build up to it running and walking sections and slowly reduce the walking sections. 
    Jake Fricker (Author of "I am a Runner" and qualified coach)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    5k- 19:03
    10k- 39.28
    HM- 1:28.25
    M- 3:07.59
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. 

I have around 5 months anyway.

I was going to do;

100m run
    100m walk
    200m run 
    200m walk..

All the way to 400m then back down to 100m.

The walking being a "rest"

Id say with correct breathing i can currently do 4 laps of 400m at a 7 minute mile pace.

And its for the military for those who are wondering.
  • Options
    You can get a couch 2 5k app for free. This will tell you when to run and when to walk. Run is not sprinting, just an easy jog. 4 laps is 1 mile so you are nearly there- drop your pace to 8 minutes and you should be able to do it now...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • Options
    Cheers, so 2mins per 400m ?

and then get to 1.5miles or 6 laps at 2min 400m

I will start on weds, is two days enough to maintain? I can't run every other day as legs are usually fatigued from 60+miles a week on my bike.
  • Options
    You could try this:

1.5 miles is approx 2400m - 6 laps of a track

400m 2mins
    2 mins rest
    400m 2mins
    2mins rest
    800m 4 mins
    4mins rest
    400m 2mins
    2 mins rest
    400m 2mins

You can do this once per week and each time shave off some of the rest time until you can do it without stopping. 

If you are doing some other cardio on your bike you will only need two sessions a week to get to your goal in six weeks. 

Good luck.

Jake

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • Options
    I haven't attempted this yet, I'm sure with the C25K app I should be building on my stamina and improving my fitness
  • Options
    Any tips for a newbie?
  • Options
    Hi Nerdy Nurse

C25K is a great place to start and will get you running 5k in 8-10 weeks. 

If you can fit in 3 runs of 30 mins or more per week, you will be amazed at how quickly you improve! 

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • Options
    download couch to 5k on your phone complete that then download 5k to 10K, then 10k to half marathon to build up ur endurance then work on speed
  • Options
    mrcharlymrcharly ✭✭✭
    Yenzehc, if this is for entry into the military, I say follow Jake's advice and add another training day that is walking with a weighted rucksack. Do 'farmers walk' as well, and aim for 100-200m walks.
    We had a lad at work, big strapping lad, did jogging 3 days a week, hit the gym a couple of times a week. Was going for entry into paras and failed, he was devastated. 
    He couldn't manage to do the hikes with a loaded rucksack. I looked up the requirements; I'm a 50year-old bloke with a slightly dodgy back and I can do it. However I grew up doing heavy manual labour, he didn't. Running and gym work won't prepare your back and shoulders for lugging a heavy weight about.
  • Options
    I started at just 1 mile and got comfortable there and increased each week or week and a half to another mile gradually, I'm now running around 8 miles each run.
  • Options
    ACE_ACE_ ✭✭
    Hi all I’m new to this and couldn’t find where to post so thought I’d add it onto here. 

I was training for the army and got my 1.5 mile run time down to 11:30 which was more than faster than what I needed to get (13:15). However I recently got a really bad case of tonsillitis which made me confined to my bed. 

With saying that my run time has now has now gone down the drain and I’m struggling to get fit again. My recent 1.5 mile run was 13:57 and today I went on a 2 mile run and got a time of 19:50. 

Im looking for any advice on how to improve really, as within the next few months I will be sent off to basic training.***

*** cannot give specific date due to safety. 

Hopefully you guys can help :)
  • Options
    First make sure you are FULLY recovered from your tonsillitis.
    Then start doing some regular easy pace runs to rebuild your fitness before adding speed back into your sessions.
    It shouldn't take too long to get back to where you were as long as you ease yourself back into it gently.
  • Options
    ACE_ACE_ ✭✭
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Trogs">Trogs</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">First make sure you are FULLY recovered from your tonsillitis.
    Then start doing some regular easy pace runs to rebuild your fitness before adding speed back into your sessions.
    It shouldn't take too long to get back to where you were as long as you ease yourself back into it gently.
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    Thanks for the reply! 
    Yeah im over the tonsillitis now, without sounding too gross I’m just getting past the phlegm! 

Currently im doing 1 day run, 1 day rest and alternating like that to build up my runs. Obviously longer distance runs are important too and today was my first attempt at 2 miles. 

I’ll do my my best to take it easy, thank you.