London Marathon Cheaters - let's do this

Comments

• posieposie ✭✭
    Wow this thread is so interesting! I can't believe people would do this - appalling!
  • cougie said:
    JoelD said:
    Wow, that is one hell of a detonation!
    Joel if you saw the guy you'd know that there's not a chance in hell that he did the first 10k himself at that pace.  He's a big boy. :-)
    Yep, sure he was north of 20 stone. 
  • Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I can't unsee that!  :)
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Imagine my surprise to see him ahead of me after 10k !   But hats off to him for finishing. 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Is it uncharitable to wonder if the split in the side of the shorts was there by design?
  • tmholttmholt ✭✭✭
    I realise there's some crossover here, but let's try to stick with evidence of cheating rather than descending into fat-shaming.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Fair point. Has anyone here ever actually seen anyone climb a fence or take a shortcut?
  • One year out by Canary Wharf there's a roundabout you have to go the long way round. 

Some git cut under the tape and took the much faster shortcut. 

I expect its fairly easy to cheat - wander off the course clutching your leg. Wait a few minutes and then all of the runners around when you left the course will have moved on. 
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

I have never seen anyone jump a barrier or disappear off the course. And at Tower Bridge turning left would require a real degree of determination and planning with all those crash barriers - do they somehow use the underpass?

• I saw loads of people leaving the course on Sunday. 99.99% of them just for a wee or a stretch - but who knows what they did after I ran on. 

Not sure how people would get away with the left turn at Tower Bridge. I suspect its only an option later on when there are plenty of people both ways. 
  • I did notice that this year there seemed to be more actual barriers along the highway.  In past years there's often been just tape between the two sides of the road.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many of these people are accidental/opportunistic cheats as opposed to pre-determined cheats ie they decide to leave the course and think they are done, wander off and then see the race pass them, 9 miles further along and suddenly feel that 4 more miles for the glory is doable?
  • Sorry,but do you really think printing a name in smal letters is going to stop swapping/cheating etc,it won’t,people who are want to “do “London ain’t going to worry about what’s on their shirt, accept it,it’s the same with any oversubscribed function,people will do what they want to do to participate,and you ain’t gonna stop them,like you’re not gonna shame those who “finished”only running 1/4of the course 
  • cougiecougie ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    You seem pretty keen on this Dave ? Would you risk running under a girls name just to get in the race with the knowledge that you might not even get into the start area ? 
  • Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Most of the London Marathon runners are charity runners running for a cause. That means a lot more than running to get a finish time or a finish medal. To cheat as a charity runner brings shame onto your charity not just on yourself.
  • I fully agree with Sub17ParkRun - it probably is worth making a distinction between number swappers and cheats, I personally believe action must be taken with both but at the same time the latter offends me rather more.
  • Agreed. I consider myself a runner who runs for charity occasionally.

To cheat is pretty low. To cheat while running for a charity... Well no words
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    on the name thing... at Manchester the names on the numbers were big- big enough for spectators to read and shout out.
    i do think it would be a deterrent yes- surely no one wants to run when they have visibly got someone else’s number? How would you explain it to friends and family and more importantly marshals?
    there must be something in it or races wouldn’t be starting to do it?
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    I will admit that I ran the Hampton Court Palace Half last year with the name "Joanna" quite clearly on my race number; everyone seemed to find it quite amusing.

I know I shouldn't have run with her number, however she had dropped out and the place would have gone unused if I hadn't taken it - wasn't getting her a qualifying time or anything; she wasn't going to do it, and I needed a half to do as part of a long run that day.

Paris put a name on your race number, however you can choose when you register what you have on there; so it wouldn't help with security (I had "Le Nicko" and my flatmate was "La Baguette" - immature, yes - we had been drinking when we signed up.)
  • dctdct ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    On the charity theme, our friend Mr Walker (48452) is claiming his marathon completion too. To be fair I'd be shouting from the rooftops if I'd nearly taken the 20k WR https://twitter.com/superflywalker/status/988617157545259008
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Did anyone else notice that Vassos Alexander was 421st female on Sunday, achieving a GFA time? Sure that that will be corrected!  Probably a genuine mistake!

Shame I am not on twitter or I would be commiserating with Mr Walker on coming so close to the 20k WR. I see he posted at 4:14 am: probably just in from crying in his beer. And I wonder how he did in his other two Londons?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Not “keen “ just stating facts, you’re never gonna stop people “bending “ the rules. Think it’s called human nature 
  • Nicko, that's one thing. I know it shouldn't be done but it happens often.. especially at smaller races. At a large race that's oversubscribed though... 
  • Chris Walker should be absolutely ashamed.

I'd have more respect for him if he just said it was too much. No one would ask for their money back.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That Chris walker post has filled me with rage! it's a bit like, look at me, not only do i smash my body to the limit for charity I've also raised a substantial 15,000 in doing it!!! This is the s and out sort I'll spend the time complaining to organisers about!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Nicko, that's one thing. I know it shouldn't be done but it happens often.. especially at smaller races. At a large race that's oversubscribed though... 
    It's definitely more of an issue when so many people don't manage to get a spot on their own merit, I agree - was more making the point that the name on the running number doesn't really do much - it was quite fun having people shout come on Joanne at me.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Heh, alehouse, I imagine that was definitely a mistake. When I did Manchester I came up in the results as male (a problem I have sometimes with my name). But I informed them and it was changed the next day. Vassos is a pretty quick guy anyway, and being who he is it's not like he needs a GFA to get into London.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Cal%20Jones">Cal Jones</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Heh, alehouse, I imagine that was definitely a mistake. When I did Manchester I came up in the results as male (a problem I have sometimes with my name). But I informed them and it was changed the next day. Vassos is a pretty quick guy anyway, and being who he is it's not like he needs a GFA to get into London.
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    Yeah. His certificate is a "Mr" so it seems possible.

Lord knows I've put my name/address/email in wrong so many times when using my phone 
  • With regards Mr. Walker, checked photos from 2013 to 2017,found one definate and one possibly, but both times finished and covered all mats, perhaps this year was a “genuine “ mistake