London Marathon Cheaters - let's do this

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm not getting this, there is one guy on the photos with 31532 in a yellow vest. It's a fast gfa number and he finishes with a corresponding time? 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    DT19, I've just double checked, and the other guy has now been removed from the pics.
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    Okay, so we think 'white' 31532 is a cheat, but we don't know about 'yellow'. He could be entirely innocent - and just been a bit silly by say posting a flat copy of his number on social media, from where 'white' has lifted and printed it.

But if we could identify that they are friends / family / clubmates, then the chances are quite high that it has been copied deliberately, and both would be at fault.
  • Or white 31532 could have got hold of a similar number and swapped a couple of numbers around while copying it, to avoid incriminating a mate.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes unless he has directly copied it, if you are going to forge a number you would inevitably make one up and someone had to be the unlucky duplicate. Though was the white vested number identical colouring etc so also a fgfa? If so then theres more to it than someone just plucking a number, unless they wanted to specifically acces fgfa pen. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Can't double check now, but I thought the numbers were identical in colouring.  I don't suppose we'll know if he accessed the FGFA pen as we don't know what time he crossed the start line?

I suppose in theory he could have got a copy of a FGFA number to access the pen but put his own chip on his shoe, but I don't see how we'll know what happened with this, unless we can link the two runners as friends.  I suppose if this did happen, he may have put his correct number on at a certain point, so will be in the pics somewhere with his correct number.  But this is all just a story based on massive assumptions :)  
  • EtchEtch ✭✭
    Just been going through permutations of 31532, within the range of FGFA numbers, looking for a possible donor and came across 31325, 'Philip Niland'. I must say that in The Mall 'he' is putting on a brave face at just missing out on a sub 6 hour finish!
  • Oh ''he' is isn't 'he' ?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Looks very different now to the Philip niland that ran London in 14 and 15!
  • EtchEtch ✭✭
    Hmm, 32135 (white vest/black shorts, accompanied by 2 female runners) arrives at the finish-line at 4:04:15 top right in the BBC coverage, 12 seconds before 'white' 31532 (white vest/black shorts, unaccompanied) as mentioned earlier. Let the conspiracy theories begin... B)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    did white 31532 have a gfa version of the number?
  • EtchEtch ✭✭
    Yes, can be seen on iPlayer (London Marathon, 2018: Finish-line cameras)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    it's an oddity and I think it must be a high calibre photo copy or scan and print. If you work in or know someone in printing business you could get that done with no trouble to a high enough standard to fool marshalls that can only briefly glimpse it entering the start pen. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Is there any way to find out in the results (maybe using time of day?) if that runner crossed the line with a different chip number?  Then see if the two runners know each other?
  • EtchEtch ✭✭
    Big_G, the 'Bird's Eye View of your Finish' in a runner's 'Results Display' uses the time of day finish times. There was no additional number corresponding to the time (of day) that 'white' 31532 crossed the finish line, all other numbers can be accounted for.
  • 'Philip' has an Irish flag on her vest, and although he's listed as GBR this year, in 2017 there's a runner of the same name listed as 'IRL', running as FGFA.  Coincidence, I think not.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've googled Philip and he appears to run for Galway. 
  • This is all taking the focus off mr. Walker. He sickens me
  • How many of these cheats will end up getting away with it?
  • How many of these cheats will end up getting away with it?
    The left turners? Most of them will be taken out of the results eventually.  It's not like the old days of Tommy the Clown in that regard.  VLM will ask for the medal back but are unlikely to send the heavies round.

The fake numbers will get away with it because they're harder to find and difficult to identify.  Even if they could be, what can VLM do?  Ban them?

That's assuming they don't do anything stupid like take the genuine number's bag at the end.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Apparently the guy took his top off and just threw it to the road side as he was hot at about 12 miles! https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6167192/london-marathon-imposter-revealed/
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    How many of these cheats will end up getting away with it?
    The left turners? Most of them will be taken out of the results eventually.  It's not like the old days of Tommy the Clown in that regard.  VLM will ask for the medal back but are unlikely to send the heavies round.

The fake numbers will get away with it because they're harder to find and difficult to identify.  Even if they could be, what can VLM do?  Ban them?

That's assuming they don't do anything stupid like take the genuine number's bag at the end.
    I hope the woman who has an official role in her club gets banned, and I wonder if her club will be banned from claiming club places too?  Don't know what the policy is on this.
  • Apparently, a female runner from Bexley? is threatening to sue London Marathon organisers because she was physically pushed off the course by stewards for supposedly losing her number even though she still had her timing chip on, suppose it “can” happen
  • Her name is Carol Marsh
  • EtchEtch ✭✭
    Oh dear. Carol must have lost her number (28552) early on - there are 2 photos of her in the green assembly area where the number looks securely attached, but after that nothing. The other photos supposedly of her are actually runner 29552
  • A seasoned club runner who knows the rules throws a tantrum because the number she has attached falls off, obviously 4safety pins were not enough,but as a seasoned runner, surely you’d notice your number flapping about and falling off, no!
  • Absolutely ridiculous that she'd try and sue the marathon people. 
    Everyone knows you need your number on. 
    I don't believe you can lose a number of you've pinned it properly and how could you not notice. 

I'd ban her for bringing athletics into disrepute . You don't want to read all the half arsed moronic comments in the paper from people whose knowledge of anything would fit on a postage stamp. #idiots .
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    Having absolutely no photos on the course might suggest that the number was lost/ removed in or shortly after the start pens. Perhaps understandable that a novice might do that deliberately, thinking it would otherwise make them hotter, but less of an excuse for a club runner who should understand the safety implications.
  • I wonder how she expecyse to get her bag back from the baggage lorry ? 
  • EtchEtch ✭✭
    From what I've read, Carol's complaint is more about the "vicious rudeness" of the official who also accused her of lying. The marshalls seem to have turned a blind eye in at least one other case...