Stratford Tri - 9th May

Comments

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    Fantastic! A well-deserved [ruffle] and a Crunchie Nugget for you!
    xx

my tri - possibly in time for my 100th birthday..
  • a what? am i missing out here?

when's your birthday ? ;)
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    July 21, but this year I shall be just 99.
  • ah.... didn't like to ask :)
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    S'OK. I know I look old for my years. All that good living.
  • can i have some ?
  • <also posted in the Carls... thread>

Stratford Sprint Triathlon 9/5/04 – (1:22:??)

This was my first triathlon so a little unsure of the procedures but as normal asked loads of stupid newbie questions including how to use the number belt id just bought (that was after struggling how to work it out for 15 minutes and tearing my number in the process).

Swim – 400m (8:5?)

First off was the swim and again faced a new problem - putting on a swim cap for the first time, eventually got it on much to the amusement of the other competitors in the swim que. I was in the slower end of the field and didn’t feel intimidated by the people around me or the speed they were swimming and was pleased to see some people using breastroke. Anyway it came to my turn and all went without a hitch really. I managed to front crawl nearly all of it and held my own, even passing a few people. Think the time was around 8mins50sec? – very pleased with the time here and felt I could have swam a full Olympic Tri distance without much trouble.

Bike – 23k (46:??)

All I can say is wow…. I creamed it round the course, maybe not fast for some people but I was whizzing, managed to keep it above 20mph for most of the course. The best thing was I passed about 30 people, there was one guy who passed me, who I then repassed only for him to pass me again but other than that no one else go near me. I was just latching on to one rider after another and reeling them in, even managed to recatch the other guy with about 400m to go. I screamed into transition nearly forgetting to dismount and braked so hard I locked up as I passed the timeing matts and dragged them under my bike. Was about to fall off infront of about 200 people and by a miracle managed to unclip just in time, looked like a pro lol.

Run – 5k (2?:?? – 27-28 mins I think)

Ouch, legs a bit wobbly to start, probably because I put so much into the bike, was ok when I got going after a few mins but then got an attack of stomach cramp which lasted until half way. The run course (out & back) wasn’t that good, mainly on slippy/muddy grass and not very wide so had to keep dodging other runners. After the cramp died away I started increasing the pace and was feeling pretty good, id expected loads of people that id overtaken on the bike to repass me but only 2 or 3 did. I was gearing up for a sprint finish but got a sudden attack of stomach cramp again with about 300m to go, nearly bent me double and had to stop, then woddle the last few 100 meters.

Overall it was a really great event, I really felt I achieved something and felt great about my performance. It was very funny seeing the faces of some of the runners as they passed me during the out and back of the run, faces of surprise to see someone that they eyed up poolside with his baggy swim shorts and belly hanging over had actually beaten them. They really looked the part in their orca suits and tanned toned bodies but I overtook lots of them. All this training has really paid off, I feel great.

Thanks everyone for your support – you’ve helped get me to where I am now.

• Well done Daz, Ed and everyone else that competed today, great times both of you.

Daz, I think I saw you just as I started my bike leg, assuming that was you that shouted my name as I passed.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Carl that's brilliant! Well done!

:o)))
  • Thanks Jj, im beaming now.

[beams]
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    [staggers in with large trophy, full of Giant Smarties]
  • Yum yum....mmmmm - delicious... Any Icecream to wash it down with?

• Tri to runTri to run ✭✭✭
    Excellent report Carl, and well done on completing your first. My time was 1:22ish as well - can't be exactly sure as I'd forgotten to reset my watch before getting in the water, so wasted 5 seconds doing that before I set off - doh!!! Also had to stop at one set of lights, and not sure what adjustment I get for that.

Apart from that a great race, only marred by not being able to pull my swim hat off after climbing out of the pool, and heavy traffic making it impossible to overtake a queue of riders coming back into Stratford, (which I guess was the same predicament for all later starters).

Approx split:

Swim 7:33 to leave water (official split to timing mat 8 mins ish I think).
    T1 1:18
    Bike 45:40 (minus whatever deduction for lights)
    T2 30 secs ish
    Run 27 ish (found the last km really hard though).

Really enjoyed it! Well done to everyone else who took part - hope you had as much fun.

Jane
  • Are all your timing based on your own watch?

I got mine from the board in the sports hall, forgot to start my watch lol, only started it at the start of the run, then forgot to stop it afterwards... oops.

Not sure if the splits that were on the tv in the gym include the T1 & T2 times with the events or not (only saw it quick so couldnt tot it all up) - will check on website tomorrow.

Well done on your time. You wernt near the low 500 numbers were you? I was 511 and saw someone a few people in front fiddling with his watch as he started the swim.

Wasnt that keen on the run course, think it cost me well over a minute as I couldnt get into a rythem.
  • Oh and was really lucky on the bike course I guess, didnt get held up at all. Took maybe 3 mins in T1, had to take swim shorts off and get cycling gear on - must get myself a tri suit.
  • Results are not on website yet... lol ... they are last years.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    well done Carl - strange I didn't see you at all but met up with Daz OK....well done matey on winning the CS champs.

and my missus, Petal, won her age group!!! overall 44th female in a time of 1:21:46 - not bad for a 50 year old eh??

I should have done it - it was the pool that put me off but it really didn't look that bad on the day. grrrrr...
  • *applause* well done everyone!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    [dashes through very quickly trailing Smarties and pompoms and exits speedily coz not really here coz workin]
  • Good work Peeps !

Excellent work Carl, congrats Daz and brill Petal. Ironbridge WILL be fun ! ;-)

(and all I managed to do was get drunk all weekend)

Jj - gizza smartie.
    Carl - yes, all those times were off my watch except the official swim split and run time, which were what I remember from the plasma board in the sports hall, (I didn't make a note of those times, so not sure exactly). I think the times on the board probably include T1 & T2 in the bike time, but not sure until I get the web times and can work it out a bit more accurately.

That wasn't me fiddling with my watch ahead of you. I was some way further back at 888 in the ladies. Doesn't the name "Jane" give it away? ;-)

FB - Big congratulations to Petal - superb performance... I bet she's chuffed to bits.

Jane
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    ttr - well petal was just ahead of you then at the swim - she was 877.
  • i want results!!! NOW!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    story of my life, Ed.

[lobs large bag of Smarties to Cougie, hoping that his phone's "mended" now. snigger]
    fb - oh yes - I was going to look out for her on the poolside, but totally forgot with all my pre-race nerves'n'all. She'd have been half way across the pool by the time I started though, and with her faster time, I won't have got anywhere near her during the race.

Jane
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Hi guys!
    Had a great day too!
    Met up with fbf, petal and ed. we shouted at carl at start of bike and i even managed to get a pic of a few people (mainly cssc peeps to justify getting money back, lol).

Well done on your times guys. Carl, good one to start with and you'll just get better and better. maybe take a tub of vaseline with you for the start of swim to grease your hat!
    Great to see Petal won her age group, fandabidosi.....shame they were so late sorting out the womens results pre-ceremony.
    And Ed seemed to have a blinder. At his age I really think he'll be top-end triathlete in few years if works at it. Good run mate.

I had a pretty good result overall considering all the driving I'd done day before and no thanks to Audley Harrison and his 'learning-curve' approach, lol!
    I had a little jog before race but didnt feel too rosy. Was kinda hoping it was just due to lack of training in the week (you know the lazy feeling you get from good tapering).

Anyways, swim was ok. Overtaken a few times by some human torpedos. T1 alright although I still get butter-fingers with the race belt.

The bike didnt feel too good though. Maybe it was nature of the course but I didnt feel like I could get a good speed going. Also had the annoyance of some young lad who wouldnt let me go by. He'd try his dammedist to overtake me once I'd overtaken him....and then he'd get tired from this, which would mean I'd have to overtake him again. So about 80% of my bike ride was an interval session, ha! I also had lower back pain that I'd experienced before in evenings. If it got worse for run I know I'd have to pull out. But it died away thank god <phew>.

T2 was slow. I'd tightened shoes up too much beforehand as worried theyd slip like they did in last tri. But the run was ok. Felt could have gone a bit faster but was comfortable sticking behind the 'annoying kid' and making him sweat hahahaha
    About 4 mins from home I speeded up and left the lad behind. Let that be a lesson to him - to respect his elders <waves finger>

Did 1:06:-- and came around 24th I think. Just found out though that I didnt win cssc trophy. Some guy (who wasnt put on cssc entry list -- Darren Haseldine) kicked my butt. SO looking for second now. Bolox!!
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    ((((Dazzle))))

next time.

:o)

• Weel done to everyone. I finished and that's all I can say. I was very nearly a DNS as picked up a virus from the kids and have managed about 2hrs kip for Fri and Sat night and just felt dreadful come Sunday morning. I was convinced I wasn't doing it, but had to turn up anyway as my mum was doing the Novice.
    So I took all my kit but was adamant I was a DNS.
    Then I thought of Jane Tomlinson.
    I registered and took part but was pretty lousy and had absolutely nothing left for the run and had to walk a fair bit of it.
    At least I did it.
    Had a temp of 39.2 when I got home.
    Probably shouldn't have done it.