MP3 Recommendation

Comments

• I brought the Nike (Phillips) MP3 the other day and find it awesome. There are magnets the attach the cables to your clothes (you need to see it to understand) this prevents the cable from waving everywhere, and it looks the business, its very small and has great sound. Dixons sell it.
  • I,ve got one of the nike phillips players as well bu all the tracks seem to slip when converting them to mp3 files. I,ts probably me but I have loaded the software onto 3 computers now and all as bad. I have to use a work computer as mine wont support the software. I,m wondering if the problem is that I work in a hospital and theres electrical interferance. IU hope I,m not messing up any life support machines
  • Love that Gareth ! Just play tracks with a 60 bpm rhythm and that won't mess the cardiogram things up too much ? ;-)
  • Doesn't maatter much now anyway my player died on Friday after its 1st long run. Less than a week for me to break a gadjet that's pretty close to my record
  • I reckon it was them life support machines ganging up on it when you left it unattended.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
  • Wouldnt mind so much but I bought a new computer to run it before I found out it was no longer with us
  • Gareth - it's contagious !

Got my Rio 800 128Mb last night - very impressed initially, got about 20 minutes out of it before the battery failed, and the file transfer is S L O W.

I'll try again tonight, but I've now checked reviews (too late) and people have sent theirs back 2 or 3 times for repair.

I'll preorder the Kiiro - just in case !!

Is yours a Phillips player ? I've seen Rio Nike players reviewed.
  • Mine is the new phillips/nike player. I went and got another one and so far so good.
    Transfer pretty quick and should get about 4 hours radio quality play out of it which should see me through the marathon assuming it lasts that long
  • Don't wear it for the Marathon - you want to take in all the sights and sounds of the big day - it truly is an experience to treasure !
  • Did the marathon a couple of years ago and hated it so thought I'd run with music this time to take my mind off the pain.
    Has anybody solved the problem of headphones. When I sweat poor old Mick Jagger (showing my age now) sounds like he's drowning
  • I guess you could try drying the ear buds on a bit of your kit that isn't soaking ?
    COuld be difficult I know.

And don't get a Rio 800 MP3 player.

1 hour from the battery day 1
    11 hours from the battery day 2
    2 hours from it on day 3

What use is that to anyone ?
  • Interesting reading ............. I bought a 10Gb Apple Ipod for PC about a month ago. It’s not the cheapest thing around, but I'll say its DEFINATELY the best.
    My model will hold approx. 2000 songs (mp3 file size dependant), has a robust belt-clip holder, wired remote, a battery life of 10hrs and has skip protection.
    Your PC will need a firewire card to download mp3s at lightening speed. I transferred approx. 200 songs the other day in less than a minute.
    I’m using Windows 98SE so the supplied software (Musicmatch Jukebox) does not work. It needs a min. operating system of Windows ME. But do not let this put you off there is a superb piece of freeware called Ephpod which is written for 98 upwards. You can download this from www.ephpod.com.
    I ordered it direct from Apple (www.apple.com, then follow the links), delivery was 2 weeks. Cost with firewire £380. If you can stretch your budget to this you're getting a truly quality piece of kit.
    My recommendation is ......... get converted, buy an Ipod and enjoy.
  • Stop tempting me - that's 6 pairs of trainers !

DOes sound v v v good though !
  • Cougie, just send a nice letter to Santa and see what happens. After all you can't plug your trainers in to your stereo and listen to hours and hours of music on your rest days.
  • Andy
    Sounds good but way too technical for a computer virgin like me
  • I've just today got my MP3 player, a Kiiro 128MB one and in spite of reading a rewiew of it where the reviewer was shocked at how small and light it was was still shocked myself as it literally is the size of a matchbox. It was no trouble at all to load and was very motivational on a run today in the drizzle so I can highly recommend it to one and all. I got it from advancedmp3players.com who's website inspired confidence.
  • The iPod is even better (and so, so simple) for those of us with Apple computers. It's actually a bit clunky with PCs because of the software which is nowhere near as good as Apple's own iTunes software. That said, it still beats the pants off everything out there. And it's tiny. And it's very light. And it looks like a work of art. And you can have your name engraved on it. And I haven't got one . . . yet.

As for the headphone problem Sony's in ear funtopia phones are the business and very comfortable. Amazon.co.uk do them I think but you can get them at Dixons. The best model is about £27
  • OK, summary of my posts the last time this thread cropped up :) The Kiiro 128 is my favourite for running, and I shall soon own one. It's absolutely minuscule and weighs virtually nothing, which are my most important requirements for running. Close behind is the Apple iPod, with more flexibility and features but being heavier more expensive and bulkier than the Kiiro as the trade-off (though it's still smaller and lighter than virtually all the other contenders). The iPod was my number one choice until I found its slightly increased physical mass and size a little bit annoying on my harder runs.

So to sum up, I prefer the Kiiro for running due to its unbelivably small dimensions and featherlight weight, but as a general purpose "small and light" player my favourite is the iPod. I don't think you can go far wrong with either. :)

Oh, and in last place are Rio players .. don't even think about it!!
  • The Kiiro does eat up AAA batteries, but it's only one at a time, so a 4 pack should get you through a good weeks running.
    I do think the cold drains them more though, so maybe I should tuck it away somewhere nice and warm ?
  • Just to let you know that my second Nike/Philips MP3 has just gone wrong that's in about 3 months not doing too well with these things so far
  • Hello all,

Try the MuVo from Creative Labs. It's about the size of a cigarette lighter and is therefore perfect for running, you won't even know it's there!

The 64MB version costs £100 and holds about 15 tracks. Perfect for a run.

The iPod is excellent but too big and heavy to be used for running - in my mind.

The MuVo plugs directly into your USB port and you just drag and drop your MP3 files into it.

Try it. It's not the best MP3 player out there but it may well be the most convenient for running.

Merry Christmas!

David
  • Although, MuVo has had some bad reviews actually. Especially when you consider the Kiiro, like for like (i.e 64MB vs 64MB) is both smaller & cheaper. Look on thewww.advancedmp3players.co.uk forums for some eally good input on the subject
  • For many years I have experimented with music devices whilst running.

Initially I ran with radios. I have found the Sony yellow waterproof radio to be the best of these. The headphones on this are the excellent in ear with headband variety and can be used with any other device eg mp3 or minidisc.
    As far as mp3s are concerned; the Rio ones are light and adequate but difficult to control on the run. I have also tried the Archos jukebox which is like running with a brick in your hand and interferes with my polar pulse rate monitor.
    Now I run with a Sony Net minidisc player which is light, easy and quick to record on and the discs are so cheap that you can have a vast selection of music even when you are away from your computer eg when on holiday. They are also cheaper than a good mp3 player.
  • I can't understand this view about the iPod being too big and heavy for running. It's the size of a pack of cards and weighs 6.5 oz (185 g). It looks beautiful and has incredible versatility. Up to 4000 tracks of music (yes, you read that right 4,000) on one really small machine seems pretty clever to me and if anybody is bothered about running with the extra 6oz of weight . . .
  • Its not so much the weight editor. I like my hands free when I'm running myself ( I alos hate those Runaid bottles, dont get me started...), combine that with the fact that I dont trust belt clips on belt-less tracksters/shorts and that pretty much eliminates the iPod as a running option for me. If it can fit in the pocket of a gilet pocket, or preferably in a waistband key-pocket, then its 'perfick'...
  • "The Artist," I notice you own a Mac. This would explain your evangelistic tendencies regarding the iPod ;) However, I didn't say it was 'too' big and heavy for running; I said it was bigger and heavier than other contenders. 4,000 music tracks a big number alright, but 1.) is arguably a bit overkill for your average training run, and 2.) requires a hard drive. To my mind, no matter how good the anti-skip protection etc, for a device to be used while participating in a strenuous outdoor activity, the fewer moving parts an item has the better. And, reference the subject of this thread, it certainly does not come in under £150 either! ;)
  • I've been reading good things about the Nex IIe from Frontier Labs. About £140 including 128mb storage compact flash. Looks small and light, and has an intuitive drag and drop interface for transferring files - apparently not found so often on the cheaper ones. Batteries will last 11 hours, and can be powered by your USB port if you want to use it at home. Does anyone have experience of this?

Andy
  • Psi, Guilty as charged. My evangelical stance where Macs are concerned is something that most Mac users display. Sorry but Macs are just friendlier and cleverer than PCs (oops there I go again).

I wasn't aware I'd said that you said iPods were too big and heavy for runnning. David Davies did though and I was merely putting the size and weight into perspective. Being a Apple Evangelista, I don't wont people thinking the iPod is as heavy as the brick and slightly larger when in fact it's very small and pretty light.

Psi, I agree with your comment that 4,000 tracks is overkill for running but most people who are spending a bit of cash might want to use it for things other than running and I think most of the MP3 machines mentioned, although very clever are pretty limited. If people just want a machine that will store enough music for a long run that's fine but many will want a machine to take on holiday etc. That's where the iPod really scores. And it's very well made and looks beautiful.

Korsa King, Agree with you on the hands thing but I go further, I only run with music once a week on my second longest run (12miles ish) which I do on my own and find tedious.
  • 'The Artist', yes, I agree. An iPod is a fantastic bit of kit and not a heavy brick, but in my mind the weight is still a little too much to be able to forget you're carrying it.

I would love to have an iPod, they're great looking things.

However, if you're going to buy a MP3 player for running then the smaller players are perhaps more suited.

If you're looking for an MP3 player for any other use (car, bus, walking, work...), then I'd go for the iPod without any doubt! :-) Well, I'd consider the Creative Zen, which also is very sexy.

David
  • Oh, I also recommend the iPod for cyclists, as in those that cycle more than they run; not that there are too many of them on here ;)