swimming psychology

2»

Comments

• I'm in cardiff,
    so there are potentially a few places I could go to........but they are not all so good for swimming..........I have been planning to take the B/F and he can pretent to surf!
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Barry Island or Porthcawl then Melsie......as long as they have cleaned the sewage outfalls........

cheers Rich......
  • Thanks Richard and Nic, ill check out the small print, hoping not to need a break but you never know and wouldnt want to get a time penatly or disqualified for doing something stupid.

Canoe... mmm sounds tempting, still trying to work out how I can sneak a James Bond esq propulsion device into the lake...
  • Reading back that probably wasn't entirely clear Carl, but they have safety canoes at all open water triathlons and the normal advice at race briefings is that if you are in trouble, float on your back with one arm in the air and a canoe will come to your aid. As I said you don't get time penalties or dq if you just take a rest, only if you actually progress not under your own steam.
  • A bit of sewage never hurt no one FB, used to swim in a river downstream of the sewerage outlet...........yummy!!!
    Never done me any harm except that I glow in the dark!

Actually been thinking about Portcawl.....can drag the B/F to rest bay!
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Melsie - I am from Cwmbran and remember Bank Holidays spent at Barry Island...was in the water one time there and a turd bobbled past my face........niiiiiiiiice!!!!

supposed to be a lot cleaner there now and going upmarket so I hear........

• fb you should read that site!!! - it looks long winded but half way down it goes into detail of everything you are talking here - and why and how swimming in open sea versus swimming pool differs

and it is saying that some people have an advantage in the sea because of their body shape!!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    FB: My legs used to dangle downwards and create drag hence those leg floats worked wonders for me too. This was because I was pulling my head up in front to breathe. When I do front-crawl I try to tuck my chin close to my chest (ie stare straight down below) and roll the body sideways to breathe. Not sure if this correct but tucking the chin in causes me to take deeper 'cuts' of water. The upper back is lowered and the legs float towards the surface. As soon as I raise my head (eg lookforward) the upperbody starts to raise up as well and legs lower so speed decreases.
  • Well I guess I'm in a minority of one,because I find pool swims very much easier and more comfortable than OW, but as I'm a long way from the sea, our OW swims are never in salt water hence no extra bouyancy effect. I know part of it is with the sighting - in a pool you can follow the lines on the floor, out in a lake or river you have to keep sighting so you don't drift off course.
    It is indeed a mental thing....I dread OW tri swim starts and am really uncomfortable until I'm about 500m into it.