Tuesday Session - 5th November

2»

Comments

• Sorry WW, last day in August is when I tidy my sock drawer but best of luck. I have nothing but admiration for you, it's the same sort of admiration I have for people who dive off cliffs, or walk tightropes with no net, or leap busses on a motorbike, or leap motorbikes on a bus, or invite Jehova's Witnesses in for a chat, or...
  • Nice one Will. Shame they haven't decided if it is going to be a full or a half one yet. Lets hope they go the full distance, in which case I will definately be joining you.

Stuart: You are well on your way and could "easily" complete an Ironman event. As for your lack of experience in triathlons, my second tri was an Ironman, the first being a half-Ironman completed a couple of months before.

The Ironman is very much a mental challenge perhaps even more so than a physical one. I firmly beleive that if you want it badly enough then you can finish. You just have to look at other events where women over 70 years of age are competing in Hawaii! If you break it down into the 3 disciplines then it seems far less daunting, remembering that at Ironman UK (if they go the full distance) you will have 17 hours to complete! You will be starting the swim fresh and as you can already swim the distance in less than 1:30 hours that leaves 15 and a half for the other two. Even upwards of a 6 hour marathon gives you over 9 hours to finish the bike. There are always people who make it just in time for the cut-off.

I ran the FLM and then concentrated heavily on my biking through the summer, which is the key discipline in Ironman.

So go for it, believe me you won't regret it!

Gareth
  • Forgot to say!

What: 40 min turbo followed by 3 mile run
    Why: Had to try out my new toy
    Last hard run: A while ago
    Last rest: 9 days

Gareth
  • Ooh er, I suddenly feel very inferior with all this talk of Ironman's.

What: 4-5 easy
    Why: Raced sunday, rest yesterday, tempo tomorrow.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    What: 7 miles recovery pace
    Why: circuit training has left me with sore butt' muscles! Too many lunges.
    Last hard: Sun 10k
    Last rest: Sat.

• What: Hopping over a fence
    Why: Large gin on the end of it, and a warm bonfire
    Last hard run: Thursday
    Last rest: F/S/S/M Gosh, now I feel guilty!

I will run tomorrow...
  • Sore butt eh? - Nice - Get a look at the picture - chosen because most realistic on butt to butt ratio.

Wrong forum

what: Choking 5k (tempo)
    why: too much smoke, cordite or whatever is leftover from the bang and pretty lights
    not bad time though - too hard a run for tempo. - Glad to be training again

Last hard: no comment
    last easy: Sunday

• Drew - Re: negative split thing. Is that good then? Rich was pacing us all and we picked it up at around 15, 16 miles, then we had a hill and me and this very nice man called Trevor just pulled each other along. I thought that the auto entry thing only applied if you do it before you apply - I will enquire though Drew
    WW - I did a triathlon search on the internet today. I want to do one, I was thinking Ocotber time. Do they let us gals in - or is Iron man strictly a male gig!
  • Mind you, never mind iron man, can't even drag myself out for this 30 minute jog
  • Not (quite!) as lethal a session as last week....speedwork along Hoylake promenade on a lovely mild evening. Fireworks were visible in the distance over Wales as well as somewhat closer...

approx 2 mile warm-up, then

2 x (1 lamppost fast, 4 recovery, 2 fast, 3 recovery, 3 fast, 2 recovery, 4 fast, 1 recovery, 5 fast, 1 recovery);

approx 3 mins recovery and repeat the above...
    - except that, as it didn't take us quite to the end of the prom, finished doing (or trying to) 9 lampposts fast.
    Lampposts are on average almost exactly 50m apart.
    HRM still with Polar, being fixed, so no details on how fast I was running or the HRs recorded. However, it was v competitive and for me it became more than anything a lactic tolerance session - I haven't done one of those for a while.
    Early night for me now I think....
  • sorry - should have added that session ended with 4-5 mins recovery and approx 1.5 miles warmdown.

I'm going to bed.
  • Stuart – I echo what Ironman has said you sound well on your way to be able to do an Ironman, set the goal and go for it – this will also be my first at this distance and am currently tailoring my training plan to suit

Ironman – I am also hoping they decide to make it full distance this year

Snikster – There are loads of TRIs out there right through the summer at what seems to be unlimited variations in length and they are open to everyone – go for it
  • Gareth-

sunday marked the start of my winter training, over the next 3 months it gets harder and then i ease back off again, my way of thinking is i do endurance to get strength then i get speed through strength all this takes about 6 months but im still learning.
    anyway sunday session went like this-
    3mile warm up
    12 x 1K with 60,50,40,30,20,10,20,30,40,50,60 sec recovery.
    3mile warm down.
    I did not time the 1k's cos thats not what this session is about , its important to run strong and maintain form as you become more tired.
    I did have every intention to jog the recoveries but after the third one i just staggered about in the recovery period.
    But talk about job satisfaction.