The URWFRC Forum

Comments

• Well, I've had nothing but time in my hands today (no work today) but I've still steered well clear of the Dark Side. I'm not that confident I could retain even a semblance of sanity if I delved into it with any serious intent...
  • I've just read through the replies and can see where you are coming from. I agree that some of the threads move very fast. Pretty much like chat rooms. However, I don't believe anyone gets blanked deliberately. It's just that they often get lost when a new page starts really quickly. I've had thwe same experience myself.

Sometimes the only way is to JUST SHOUT LOUDER and see what happens.

There are a lot who come from London and S.E. England but by no means all.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems a shame that some people feel excluded and don't feel as though they can or want to contribute.

Do drop in from time to time. You will be made very welcome.

Why not start your own thread.

However, as for the dark side, I haven't got a clue a lot of the time but if you have time to read the posts it can be funny at times.

All the best,

RB

BTW, I'll come and join in here from time to time if that's OK.
  • Ooooh look, another DS starting up!
    I just bumbled into DS one Sat night when alone, a little inebriated, I followed a couple of threaders I'd "met" and liked on other threads, unwittingly... as usual, no finnesse, I was lucky to hit a quiet nite I think, and felt quite honoured to be talked to, but I do dip in there sometimes and see something I have no clue about going on!! It feels a bit like the gang everyone wanted to be in at school, hovering on the edge hoping to be noticed!
  • Agree with what most people have said already. The forum's got everything really; a mixture of serious stuff and trivia, and people can pick and choose what they like.
    I regularly shock myself at how quickly time can pass by just reading up on the race reports (I like reading these, and the training stuff) so with time short sadly the more frivolous stuff is the first to go. I regularly have a real laugh even on the non-URWFRC threads (go Chimp, keep goading the king of HR!)
    Like most of you I don't have a problem with the fact that southern based runners can meet up more often, that just reflects the population spread and is hardly surprising. Anyway, 2 of my favourite races got into next years A-list, both in the North, so I'm happy!
  • I used to contribute more when I had direct ethernet internet access. But now that I have only dial-up access, as well as the fact that I'm working constantly on my thesis, means that, for me, time on forums = precious time wasted that I can no longer afford to waste!

I would like to get my life together in the spring and run a half, and it would be nice to meet some of you. I would even tell you my real name then!
  • Being fairly new to the forum I have to say that I have found the URWFRC impenetrable at times. However, I really don't think that there's any conscious "blanking" going on. It's just that if a group of people have a conversation going and I pipe up with some inane comment halfway through, they only really have two options open:
    1. Ignore him, he'll go away
    2. If he doesn't, tell him to b***er off.

No-one has ever been impolite or offensive to me, so I have to conclude that it's option 1.

Also, I've noticed that certain URWFRC forumites don't seem to post anywhere else.

I think, generally, that like any other meeting place, the more regular you are, the easier it is to join in.
  • You mean it's not Hildegard! Next thing you'll tell me is you're not a nun.

Like alot of a people it's a time thing and a lot of the threads are too fast moving. I'll just chip in my tupenths worth every now & then. Generally I just read the threads that cacth my eye.
  • Of course it's Hildegard, and of course I'm a nun! I live in a convent, don't I?! But it does get hard to run in the same long habit all the time...
  • Hey where's my post?
    Hate to think I posted in the wrong thread, maybee even now Ron Grover is reading all about my opinion of the unoficial site!
  • And you will get e mails forever
    hahahaha
  • Long ones too
    hell sort you out
  • Hate to deprive you all of my sad interlect so it went somthing like this:

Yipee at last a thread for all us paranoid people!

Maybe we should continue this thread for as long as the darkside has been running but with people continually posting and then getting ignored!
    I know how you all feel, I have yet to enter the unoficiall side properly as I feel like I do not fit in sometimes, however that is life.
    I really appreciate the fact that this whole forum does not take itself too seriously.
    Perhaps one day I will brave the dark side...but then again do I want to?
    I can just see my kids in twenty years time saying...'if only daddy hadn't started that forum thing'.

(I have to say the first time I typed this it was much funnier...honest)
  • Cmon BBB
    Im used to being left out
    and tonites darkside is ok
    Actually it usually is at night
    day is too quick, unless youve got a super duper computer, and that vital asset---time
    Cmon OVER
  • Thanks Hildegard, you've restored my faith.
  • Wolfy, don't know why you don't think i'm not often in the URWFRC; have you not been on the Dark Side at night? :)
  • She goes to bed early
    Awww
  • Surely it is better to butt in and let everyone know you are there than just to lurk in the shadows.
    I don't think anyone has been told to p**s off, apart from that guy on the fasting thread a while ago.
    We are all generally friendly, nosey and maybe a bit lonely, so come on in.
  • I just tried the 'dark side' and they were kinda nice and it was kinda fun....BUT
    I can hear my son saying...' i remember when daddy put me to bed, and got up in the morning with us'....HELP I'M BEING SUCCCCKKKEEEEDDDDD IIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.............................
  • back you come sweetie
  • You were warned about that place!!!!
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    To you guys who feel left out, you should understand that the forum , is so much in its infancy that everyone however obscure or new is welcome to the site and therefore also party to its development. and even your posting on this thread means that you are part of its metamorphasis.The speed its changing over the last three months is mind blowing !!

So don't be afraid..if you have something of interest or relevance to say on the right site you will be acknowledged and accepted...look at the Dublin darksiders on the New york site !!!!!
  • That was just being friendly, keeping the site warm and on the front page so the NYers would be able to find it again.
    It is all part of the banter, there are some threads that can be quite serious and some not so but all comments are welcomed and once you start you just can't stop.
  • Hi Ratbag and Everyone

Coming to this thread a little late (as always..)

I quite often read the URWRCF because it has most of the silly posts. I have but in a couple of times and not had a reply but I don't think I'm being ignored it's just how it goes sometimes. If you catch the dark side in a saner moment it's almost comprehensible (but a glass of wine beforehand definnitely helps. If ever you ask for help or acknowledgment you will ALWAYS get it from fellow Forumites in my experience. I think the strength of the Forums is that there's something for everybody and you can pick and choose. Personally I log on everyday for Cath cos she is fighting a hard battle and coping magnificently and then I quickly (HO HO) pop into any threads which look interesting/funny. I feel I "know" certain characters who are good for a laugh or a moan. And if I want to share my running experiences, hell I do that too.

Thanks for listening... and I love you all!
  • psi: daren't venture into the darkside have heard that some weird shit happens in there!!!!
  • Yes, enter the Dark Side at your own peril, go in with cross in hand, garlic and anything else that may save your sanity, because if you delve too deeply you will definitely loose it. (But maybe as a runner you have already lost it).
  • WWitch, thought as much must steer clear as I already have an obsessive nature....could be fatal!
  • I have taken the bull by the horns and posted a new thread in URWFRC. For all those who have found it all a bit much, get over there and get yourselves recognised. Hopefully the more seasoned forumites that reside there will embrace us and we can all become one big, happy family. All together now....... Ah.
  • We're very nice over there, come on over and try us out....
    but yes Wolfy, it can get weird...
  • It does seem a bit cliquey, and the long threads are a problem, but everyone is friendly and welcoming.

I think it is just down to time, the people that can spend more time on the forums get to know each other better, and so form a little subset.
    But this isn't a problem, we are all welcome to join in, as I do sometimes. And I am definately not a "fast marathon runner"!