Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Comments

• Swam 3750m in just under 1:30hr today, struggling to get any faster now though image

Saffers..  which stroke and when is the pause ?

• Blimey that's a long way to swim. image

I do FC and it seem to be as my hand enters the water there is a pause before I continue with the stroke and my brain just won't let me get that arm moving.

• there should be a bit of a pause just after your hand enter the water as you stretch out before grabbing the water, also makes right and left stroke even if you are only breathing to your right.
  • Thanks Dave, I am only breathing to my right but why does the pause only feel like it is my right arm and not a noticeable pause with both arms.?  Or is that a stupid question? image

Thanks Schmunks. Tis so nice when we have a good swim.image

• Saffers try breathing alternate sides and this will help level out the stroke

I have a 'slower' side and usually have a pause when I breathe to the left

Its all down to thinking it through and engaging the brain a bit,  just try some arms only/breathing drills so you are not concentrating on too much at one time,  try also some catch up drills with a float when alternate breathing
  • Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try.  I struggle with bilateral breathing though as it feels very odd trying to breath to the right.
  • Saffers - I`m guessing your strokes pretty even but your only ever breathing on one side so it doesn`t feel symmetrical image
  • which may be the reason for the pause ?   once you master breathing to the other side as well then you may find the pause at least lessens?
    Also if you are taking in a lot of air you may be compensating for the length of time it takes you to draw that breath
    You dont need any more breath than a normal low intensity exercise in order to swim 2 or 3 strokes
  • Saffers - congrats on the results today.

Bos wrote this the other week:

bos1 wrote (see)
    Hard to visualise, I needed to go to pool to check out what I do.

I start to breathe as the 'back' hand has nearly completed the push back.  I seem to continue to breathe as it is fully extended back and starts to come forward.

This makes sense to me as I start to breathe as I am nearly full rotated, continue to breathe while reach full rotation and start to rotate back toward neutral.

I find one arm drills are very good in helping get a good rhythm for breathing .   One arm drills with the 'free' hand trailing behind, not extended in front are tough.  Try to do all the variants ie right arm breathe right, then left arm breathe left, then right arm breathe left, then left arm breathe right.  Dont feel you have to do a length.  Better to do say 5 mtres slowly with good form than to feel you have to complete 25 metres if in the last 10 metres of the length the form is disintegrating.

I pause as well and found these drills quite good.
  • Thanks guys......I need to tackle that bilateral head on so to speak.......I am scared of it to be honest!!! image  Tri Club tomorrow night and then I shall try to get to the pool at the end of the week and master the bilateral.......just a length at a time or knowing how well I do, it will just be half a length to start...LOL
  • Saffers it really is nothing to be scared of,  it just takes a bit of practice a bit like writing with your left hand if you are right handed 
    Take it slowly and use a board which will help stabilise you
  • I'm just starting swimming after not having really done it since a kid and bilateral breathing is what I find tough too Saffers. Im just starting with 1 breath per length, then try 2 on the next, then 3 etc... I concentrate on when I'm going to do it and then I swallow half a gallon of water, splutter and thrash my way to the end of the length and then have another go - PERSEVERENCE! image
  • LOL...oops....that sounds about right for me too.  Now I can manage to swim the further distance, I do need to get over this not doing bilateral stuff.

I'll take that board M...eldy and give it a whirl....need to find a quiet time though or I will create that lane rage with others. image

• Last night of winter swim training tonight, I'd forgotten that Kathrin always makes us do a timed 1000m swim. Was a bit gutted with my 24:15 but after thinking it over I suppose I couldn't expect a PB with my damaged shoulder still playing hell with my stroke mechanics.
  • I'm just trying to get to grips with bilaterial breathing, so I'll give the board a try too and those drills Bos1 suggests.  I managed to practice a bit this morning, but couldn't do any one-armed drills today as all lanes of the pool were v busy.
  • Roll the drums...........sound the trumpets...........

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/8624522/2/istockphoto_8624522-fanfare-trumpets.jpg

I've been to tri club!!!!!!imageimageimageimage

I'm shattered - never swum so far.  Full report to follow, I need a rest. image

• Saffers wrote (see)

Thanks Dave, I am only breathing to my right but why does the pause only feel like it is my right arm and not a noticeable pause with both arms.?  Or is that a stupid question? image

I only breathe to my left. I'm left dominant and some tw*t at my primary tried to force me to be right handed. I can now write with my right hand but I do EVERYTHING else left!

I shall be returning to Meldy for some advice about bilateral breathing when I've got this tri out of the way. I just don't feel like I can deal with it at the moment when I'm trying to learn everything else. I feel a bit overwhelmed to be honest.image

Soupy! YAY! image

• LB - are you doing Cheshire?  Is it in a couple of weeks?  Are you putting your face in the water? Tell me, tell me, tell me
  • Of course I put my face in!

And I am doing Cheshire.

I live here, innit? image

• *waits patiently for Soupy's Tri Report*

Which reminds me......

My gym are setting up their own Tri Club and it's gonna be for beginners.  Swim sessions will be technique-based (rather than sets).  We will also get free 1-2-1 tuition from one of the Personal Trainers whose is also a swim coach.  One of the people interested in joining the group works for our local Tri Store, and the Tri store has agreed to take us all to the local OW venue for a coaching session there.

imageimageimage

• Excellent soupy! Now where's your report?
  • I'm going to DW next week!

It pees all over David Lloyd for facilities. Pool is admittedly a bit small but I'll have to cope. And its £625 for 14 months for me and Mr LB. We are currently paying over TWO GRAND for us and the kids at DLL.

• Gym tri club sounds good Schmunkee. 

Right - having been fed and watered heres the report: 

Warm up 6 x lengths (50m pool)
    Drills - 50m fist; 50m touching armpit; 50m doggy paddle; 50m catch-up
    Sets - 4 x 3 lengths with 50sec rest in between
    Sprint - 50m at 80% effort then 50m slow recovery x 2
    Fast - 50m at 90-100% effort then 50m slow recovery x 1
    200m cool down any stroke.

Total = 1500m (I think)

I've learned that I need to get my elbow higher and that I rotate too far. 
    I think I talked too much, which I do when I'm nervous so I'll have to control myself next week. image

• Sounds great Soupy!

Bliddy well done!image

• Not bad 3 days after a marathon. image  I'm all snuffly now though and I swallowed a lot of water. image And I'm shattered!!! Some people went for a run first but I think I'll pass on that one for now, especially as they were doing 8min/miles. image

I'm going to go to the Monday session next week and see which one I prefer, or even go to both. 

• Two questions......

(put your food down if you're eating)

I blow snot bubbles out of my nose like a good'un. Is this normal and what can I do to stop it?

I can feel water sometimes slipping down the back of my throat from my nose too. Do you lot feel the same or is this just me?image

• Snot bubbles - no!image
    Water down back of throat - yes! image

<reaches for box of tissues>