Options

Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Comments

• Options

Oooops - sorry for the long one image

Oh, and thanks for the tip-off re tempo trainer image

• Options

And I'm STILL in the slow lane, Schmunks! Just that I can now swim quite a long way.

And what you can do with training and determination:

My OH did a 12km long distance OW swim in Cologne on Sunday. He was aiming for around 4 hours and finished in 4 hours 9 seconds, so a 3km per hour average.  The 9 seconds were probably lost at the first lap turnaround because he swam past the bouy not realising he'd finished lap 1 until the guy with the microphone shouted at him to turn back.  Several other swimmers did the same thing.

Feed stations were set up on two pontoons, one at each end of the 2km lap. Water, electrolyte drink, sport bars, bananas and cola. LJS only stopped a couple of times to take on refreshments. Water temp was 19c, air temp 14c, slightly windy.

He's already vowed to start again next year and make it under the 4 hours! This is a guy who's always been able to swim, but only made serious progress since we joined the tri club group 3 years ago.

imageimageimage

• Options

Well done Mr Wolf.  That is amazing.  You 2 will soon be able to swim over to the UK for a visit. image

I'm making the most of this lovely weather and am off to the lake tonight.  Also going on Friday and Sunday.  It'll save me a fair bit of money too as the public pool's £3.50 every time I go and Monday was the most packed it's ever been - human soup!

• Options
    Swimming the Channel has long been an ambition of his - but he suffers from the cold, and we also can't afford it.
  • Options
    it's cheaper to swim than using eurostar UI!!
  • Options

Can I grab a memememememe moment, please? image

I went OW swimming today after telling my mentor that I would do 750m loop.  Between you and me, I was not sure that I could do that and was quite prepared to swim to the first buoy and back and be satisifed with that.

So I got in the water and battled the weeds to the first buoy.  Then i thought 'f*** it* and headed to the second buoy.  So I thought I would aim for the third buoy with the intention of turning round and heading for the shore.  On the way to the third buoy, my goggles started leaking and I could feel my swim caps about to pop off, so I headed for the shore beyond the third buoy.

After messing around with my darn goggles I realised I had swum across the lake and therefore swimming back the way I had come would be the same as continuing. So buoy by buoy I made my way round the course.  I was conscious of the time as I have to be out by 10am, but I was walking up the slipway at 10:04.  The Lake Manager was approaching with a group of school kids and I was expecting him to have a quiet word with me about being in the lake beyond 10am, but he asked me if I had a good swim.  I told him I had done a loop for the very first time to which he replied 'It's 9:50'.

I was about to apologise for being late when he added 'so you have swum further than you thought.  Its 950m at the moment for the IM swim practices'.

Cue a little tiny blub by the lakeside as it sunk in what he was saying.  I had just done a quarter of an IM swim.  OK, it was a crap time with a breather beside every buoy but those f'ing OW demons have almost gone. image

I was supposed to then do a run, but by the time I had composed myself I could hear grasshoppers chirruping, see dragonflies hovering, see ducks and fish in the lake, and see and hear kids canoeing.  A severe dose of CBA overtook me and I just took in a beautiful day for an hour or so.

Today is a bliddy good day

• Options
    UI - not ignoring your post here about LSJ, but posted on t'other thread.  Still think he's a nutter, tho! image
  • Options

Well done to Mr Wolf.....fantastic!

Nice going Schmunks....you just have to stick with it.

I went to the pool today and had some lane rage going on! image  I'm not the fastest of swimmers and would have headed for the medium lane but two slower peeps in that sooooo fast lane it was.  Then one of those in the medium lane decided to come and do his own little side swimming thing in the fast lane.  He then decided to go the wrong way and do backstroke......heading straight for me.  Luckily I saw him and could avoid a collision......I stood up and in a most unladylike fashion said "for fecksake!!" He immediately got out......what a tosser!

I am still feeling a little fed up and demoralised by my lack of speed.  I know everyone says it will come but I am now getting a little impatient!!

I now need to go out on the bike and de-stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Great news Schmunks!  That's what's great about being in a lake, isn't it?  Nowhere to go and no side to cling on to, so you just keep going. image

Saffers ((  )))  My local pool is so packed at the moment I'm just going to go to the lake and to tri club.  Monday was the last straw - it was like a swimming hokey-cokey in all the lanes.  BTW Are you doing any sprints to build up speed?

• Options
    Parklife wrote (see)
    Great news Schmunks!  That's what's great about being in a lake, isn't it?  Nowhere to go and no side to cling on to, so you just keep going. image

Erm image I did have a breather by each buoy for a moment or so.  It was not non-stop image

• Options

Hi Parklife......the pool wasn't busy but just two to a lane but it seems that people don't know their own speed !!!  Frustrating.

I am doing some sprints.  I do them at tri club and try to do some in one of the sessions that I do on my own.  I don't like them though....LOL

• Options
    Tri Club tonight.............I am still having to gee myself up to get out the door!  Finding being the slowpoke a bit demoralising at the moment.......have to keep telling myself that the one to one attention is good though. image  I am just not sure whether there is an improvement in my speed, it is hard to tell from the back of the line. image  It could be there is none or it could be that everyone else has just improved too and got faster so I am never gonna catch the beggers!!! image
  • Options
    Saffers - that's exactly what happened to me! Don't sweat it, you just need to concentrate on what you are doing and don't bother how everyone else is swimming. I find sometimes I can keep up even though I'm at the back of the line, other nights I fall behind so I just miss out a lap and tag back on to the end of the next one. No prob.
  • Options
    Thanks UIW....that is what I do but tend to feel a bit of a fraud if I don't complete the same as the others.  I am just at that stage that I need to see some improvement or I shall lose the will to live. image  I am rather impatient at the best of times......I've seen vast improvements on the bike and need to see some in the swim, just to keep my sanity!image  I think I need to speak to the Coach and ask whether there is improvement and I am just not seeing it.
  • Options
    Evening all. The lake was bliss last night. I stayed in for an hour (without wetsuit) which is my longest time in there yet. That clear 100M means I can concentrate on my stroke uninterrupted and it felt so much stronger last night than earlier in the week at the crowded pool.

This Friday I'll be down at the lake trying out my tri suit for the first time. Numpty question from a first timer - does the chamoix thing hold a lot of water and feel squelchy when you cycle after the swim bit of a tri?
  • Options
    Not if you've got tri shorts, they dry out very fast. If you're using ordinary bike shorts which stay wet longer, yes, they feel a bit uncomfortable for a while.
  • Options

Dragged my butt to tri club.  Just me and one other there tonight!!!!!!!!!! image  Uh Oh, I thought....this is gonna be hard.

Coach decided to concentrate on our technique and no "beasting" session! Phew. image  One to one coaching....I really cannot complain.  I did ask if he had seen an improvement and he said he had for sure.  I need to work on my push/pull on the stroke......hand entry is good but that push/pull is letting me down.  We worked on that tonight and he has told me to use the pull bouy and cross my ankles to make it harder and just work on it on  my own.  So that's what I will do.

Sorry about the negative attitude.....I shall go away and slap myself. image

• Options

Tri club for me too - although as usual, plenty there, one to two coaching sounds like a dream!

Session:

400m warm up (any)

8 x 25m in 50s alternating hard/easy
    4 x 50m in 1:20 alt hard/easy
    2 x 100m in 2:25 hard/easy

200m max - timed (3min 40)

8 x 25m in 45s alternating hard/easy
    4 x 50m in 1:15 alt hard/easy
    2 x 100m in 2:20 hard/easy

200m max - timed (3min 40 again!)

150m cool down

Feeling a bit like I've plateaued but then I have had a few good weeks, so I guess that's to be expected!

• Options

What Becky said Saffers 1-1 coaching - lucky you!  I can't ever imagine that happening at my club, we have so many members.  Well done for getting there.

Thanks IW - my new tri suit has a v slim thing, more like a panty shield than a sanitary towel.  My cycle shorts on t'other hand ....  image

Becky - what does 1:15 and 2:20 mean?  Oh and 50s and 45s - I don't know what that means either.

• Options

Parky

I fink wot she means is

25m in 50 secs 8 times
    50m in 1min 20secs 4 times
    100m in 2 min 25secs 2 times (twice)

But I may be wrong image

• Options
    I didn't get the hard/easy bit - if you are swimming the same distance in the same time how can you be alternating hard and easy? Surely swimming hard you are going faster? (or should be)
  • Options

Sorry for confusion!

Schmunkee's right - you had that amount of time to swim the distance & rest - so on hard you get a longer rest & on easy you pretty much just swim & only have a little rest.

hopefully it makes more sense now!

• Options
    Haven't been here for a while mainly because i've not been swimming image Only four people in at 06:30 and as the whole of the east side is basically a window, it was just lovely. I could have stayed longer. Last Swim for Tri on Monday.
  • Options

LN - how many S4T sessions have you had?  I keep looking longingly at the web page.  My gym membership runs out this month and I've not renewed it so although the saving was meant to pay for my bike, I'm now thinking it might go towards a few S4T sessions.  I'm justifying the bike expense on the savings I've made in travel costs which sounds good until I remember I commute on my old hybrid bike.  And I'm conveniently overlooking the fact I'll still have to pay for pool and OW entrance fees. 

Anyways, I went swimming every day on my hols. image  Weather was rubbish and hotel had a swimming pool which I could get accross in 8 strokes at the start of the week and got that down to 7 or sometimes 6 if I really concentrated hard by the end. 

• Options
    Hope that is a waterproof halo image

Only had two. First session was an hour and I didn't get much out of it. It was more an assessment and I improved my windmill arms a bit. Second session was an hour and a half and we concentrated on body position and rotation. Third lession will also be an hour and a half and on my to do list is the catch and breathing. The coach may have other ideas but hopefully it'll work out...
  • Options
    I think I'm starting to crack this OW swimming lark. Last night I ventured out away from the edge of the lake and swam right the way across the bay three times in a triangle and not once did I feel panicky or worried
    http://www.fetcheveryone.com/images/icons/icon_smile.gif

• Options
    Good work DD imageSounds like it's coming along nicely
  • Options
    Well done DD.....practice and you get there.image
  • Options

thanks image

We're going back to the lake tomorrow and I'm going to try treading water again when out of my depth so that I can get used to that, and we're planning on swimming to and around buoys instead of swimming from shore to shore